Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Homemade can... FORM 1 (Page 7 of 10)
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
thoughts on the new Sig MPX-C carbine? love the permanently attached "muzzle brake" idea.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By blackhawk400:
thoughts on the new Sig MPX-C carbine? love the permanently attached "muzzle brake" idea.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Sig-Sauer-MPX-C.jpg

how the hell do i get one of those?  one of my armorers works for Sig but on the pistol line, i yelled at him last month to find out how i can get one.....  nothing yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]

That muzzle brake looks mighty easy to Form 1 into a can. Do Want!
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tojan19:

I read that Sig sells the already marked tube and it's already threaded externally at the base for their tube once your form 4 is approved. Pay Sig,pay ATF, get stamp approved, receive tube, attach and shoot quietly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NWRed:

I read that Sig sells the already marked tube and it's already threaded externally at the base for their tube once your form 4 is approved. Pay Sig,pay ATF, get stamp approved, receive tube, attach and shoot quietly.

Wonder how the ATF feels about that, as the muzzle brake would also be considered the baffle stack, and silencer part=silencer according to the ATF.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:

Wonder how the ATF feels about that, as the muzzle brake would also be considered the baffle stack, and silencer part=silencer according to the ATF.

Pretty sure they're OK with it since SIG is selling it. Tecnically it's not a silencer part until its housed inside a silncer, it's a loudener all by itself  

"The MPX that SIG Sauer Academy instructor Adam Painchaud showed Defense Review was actually the SIG MPX-C model outfitted with a muzzle brake that can be converted into nifty muzzle can (silencer/sound suppressor) once the suppressor housing/tube and end cap are added and screwed into place."
Linky

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]

yep.. I need one of them muzzle treatments.. I'll roll my own housing

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 6:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YaMaMa] [#8]
First home built! .22/.223 suppressor.

2" Stainless steel with freeze plugs. Welded on both ends with SS ar welder.

Bad pic I know, will post some more soon.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:35:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CountryHam] [#9]
Finally finished my form 1 .22 can, thanks for the ideas everyone.

Link Posted: 8/4/2013 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CountryHam:
http://minus.com/jFPRyqBvUJ7OW.jpg
http://minus.com/jVt4TpXPDvTmZ.jpg
http://minus.com/joeapj5E9FH2y.jpg
http://minus.com/jq0xW4BDPO0aZ.jpg
View Quote

Nice work How does it sound?
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 4:23:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CountryHam] [#11]
Originally Posted By strycnine:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By strycnine:
Originally Posted By CountryHam:
http://minus.com/jFPRyqBvUJ7OW.jpg
http://minus.com/jVt4TpXPDvTmZ.jpg
http://minus.com/joeapj5E9FH2y.jpg
http://minus.com/jq0xW4BDPO0aZ.jpg

Thanks! It's pretty quite, I only have an AAC prodigy to compare it. I dont have a way to measure it but they sound very close.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By YaMaMa:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/YaMaMa315/DE8CE49D-BCCB-4B72-8740-C17816B59A02-11892-00000CBADA6A9BE3_zps648cadda.jpg

View Quote

what did you do for your threaded end cap?  i am finishing mine up this the last thing i need to do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:53:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: YaMaMa] [#13]
Originally Posted By This_Guy:

what did you do for your threaded end cap?  i am finishing mine up this the last thing i need to do.
View All Quotes

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/YaMaMa315/DE8CE49D-BCCB-4B72-8740-C17816B59A02-11892-00000CBADA6A9BE3_zps648cadda.jpg

I welded a freeze plug on the end, im sure a SS washer would work fine. It is a sealed can.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]

I welded a freeze plug on the end, im sure a SS washer would work fine. It is a sealed can.
View All Quotes

got any pics of your freeze plug stack?? did you do the ball bearing trick to them or leave them flat?? what did you do for muzzle attachment??
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
just submitted my form 1!

will be studying this thread for the next few months for ideas until it's approved.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dayphotog:

will be studying this thread for the next few months for ideas until it's approved.

View Quote

What caliber?
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 10:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dayphotog] [#17]

What caliber?
View All Quotes

What caliber?

.22 and 5.56

well two form ones now
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Ok this really confuses me as how it is legal?

Granted most monocores would not suppress at all with out the tube covering them.

cool idea though
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Granted most monocores would not suppress at all with out the tube covering them.

cool idea though
View All Quotes

cool idea though

Because it's not a suppressor, just a crazy-ass brake?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View All Quotes

cool idea though

So we can make muzzle breaks that a form 1/4 Tube can be put on that become a monocore suppressor? I thought...oh yea atf logic
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 11:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#21]

Also  building a micro .22LR can for my Beretta 21A.  See pics below...
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#22]
You guys are way to talented for this. Im jealous I have no means to Form 1 a can.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 11:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#23]
First pic is a 304 SS baffle I just finished for a .30 cal can.  In the second pic, the .30cal baffle is in the rear and an aluminum .22LR baffle I'm working on is up front.  Gonna change the design a bit on it.  Sorry for the lousy pics.  All I had was the lousy cell phone camera.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:04:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#24]
Micro .22LR can build....  It utilizes a 1" diameter tube so it's a little fatter than a Thompson Machine Wasp, but shorter by an inch.  Still need to add a Dater hole on the blast baffle and some port cuts.  The baffle stack is only 2.6" long with four K-baffles.  The blast baffle features an integrated blast chamber/spacer (hybrid Omega/K-baffle?).  All baffles click into each other.  The end cap design will be similar to that of the Wasp, which will allow for a wipe to be utilized if you chose to do so.  With an ablative it should still be quiet without wipes.  I'll post pics when it's finished, as well as some video.  Right now all baffles are made of AL.  If it proves to be quiet I'll make, at minimum, the blast baffle from 304 Stainless.  The tube is also stainless.  I'll make a few final passes on the tube at a high speed to get a nice finish, and then cerakote the tube.  Although I intend on using it on a Beretta 21A, I'll give it a try on a number of different hosts.  Please don't be too critical of my lathe work.  I have about 10 hours experience on a lathe and before that never machined a thing in my life....

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I think thats awesome man, good stuff!
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:03:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#26]
More progress.  The dimples on the endcap will be gone after I turn it to about 1/2 its current width.  They're just for ease of removal after life fire testing.  I'll likely mill a slot or make a spanner wrench hole.  The baffles all have a .280" bore and the endcap has a .320" bore to allow for some yaw as the bullet passes through the wipe.  I altered the endcap design from what I had originally intended.  It will still allow for the use of wipes, but requires endcap removal to replace.  I want to get an idea of how it will sound wet and wiped before I go about spending 2-3 hours building the part.  That's also the reason for the aluminum endcap.  Once I get it tuned in I'll go to a stainless endcap.  The rear endcap, which will be threaded for the muzzle, IS going to be stainless.  Once I hear how it sounds I'll go ahead and mill the ablative port and thread the ring which will cover the port.  Progress is slow but progress is progress....  Enjoy!

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:16:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#27]
Got it together today...VERY pleased with how it sounds on a rifle.  Dare I say as good as my pilot and sparrow which are quite a bit larger.  It's louder than I want on the pistol...but haven't shot it wet or wiped yet so we'll see...

Video on both the rifle and pistol:
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/cms81586/media/VID-20140107-00007_zpsa6086d6a.mp4.html

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm jealous. Its damn quiet on the rifle, especially for its size. I wish I had your talents.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#29]
Shot it today with wipes.  Wiped and wet (with wire pulling gel) , it was very comparable to my AAC Pilot.  Not great but acceptable.  I did experience some bullet destabilization with the rubber gasket wipe (2 out of 15 shots).  I'm going to try a few other materials including vinyl to see if it will punch through the wipe cleaner.  Here's an accuracy comparison.  About the same except for the one flier that gave an oblong bullet hole (top left hole on the left target).  Not bad for 15yds out of a Ruger MK III.  I'll try shooting it wiped out of the rifle to see how it does, but honestly it's quiet enough on the rifle that it's not necessary. I grabbed a box of 50 that I had apparently shot 1/2 of already, so I shot 15 wiped and 10 more without, informally offhand.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone know the part number for freeze plugs that'll fit a C-cell maglite?    (see my thread in this forum)
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#31]
More on the Micro can..... Need to get some good SS tube to go along with the 304 baffles I cut this week.  This is what happens when you don't use a stainless tube, shoot a can wet, and don't disassemble for cleaning...

Here's the start of the new SS baffles.... facing before reducing the baffle OD.

About 80% done...  The left most baffle is a little thicker and has a slightly longer flat at the OD edge of the cone.  I'm shooting for it being able to handle 5.7x28 and under.  They still need Dater hole/ports completed...but that'll wait until I get the ball end mill bit and have some more free time.

Another.... They're .6" long each, so 5 of them makes 3".  Shrinking down the blast chamber slightly I should be able to get in at around the new 3 1/2" goal... not much longer but with an extra baffle and tighter bore (.260" this time instead of .280 on the AL baffles).  No wipe in this one either.  Again, the slightly beefier blast baffle is the one oriented differently than the other 4.  The bores will get cleaned up (they're rough from parting).  

CMS
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:07:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tjstntbug] [#34]
I just did the detent upgrade to my cmmg 22 bolt and I used the black silicon insert from a BCM extractor upgrade and it works perfect without the cmmg bolt bounce part and not to stiff and not to soft, falls in groove just right. Thanks for the info.
I May go with a spring later but for now the black insert is doing fine. So far 850 RDS and no hiccup.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#35]
form 1's approved!!!!

now I begin!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#36]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I wanna see where this is going!  Bump!
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 2:50:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I need machining skills
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#39]
OST
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:19:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vaeevictiss] [#40]
good thread. I actually just finished a form 1 30 caliber can myself. I dont have any pics of the process so no point really. Just looks like any other suppressor but its really nice. Its 100% 416 stainless. 7.5" long, 1.5" diameter, 23.5oz. Minimal POI shift and still shoots 1/4" groups with my full power loads. Full power loads are much quieter minus the supersonic crack, and my subsonic loads are very quiet...like pellet gun quiet. Its really a blast to shoot steel. I have a 100yrd range behind my house and you just hear a tiny pop followed by a loud "DING!"

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By vaeevictiss:
good thread. I actually just finished a form 1 30 caliber can myself. I dont have any pics of the process so no point really. Just looks like any other suppressor but its really nice. Its 100% 416 stainless. 7.5" long, 1.5" diameter, 23.5oz. Minimal POI shift and still shoots 1/4" groups with my full power loads. Full power loads are much quieter minus the supersonic crack, and my subsonic loads are very quiet...like pellet gun quiet. Its really a blast to shoot steel. I have a 100yrd range behind my house and you just hear a tiny pop followed by a loud "DING!"

View Quote

Looks awesome! Any info on the internals? I just efiled a form 1 for a 30 cal can so im looking for ideas.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By dbaird:

Looks awesome! Any info on the internals? I just efiled a form 1 for a 30 cal can so im looking for ideas.

Thanks!
View All Quotes

Thanks!

I used 5x 60 degree cone baffles. Its 2" to the first cone then the rest are equally spaced to the end cap. I used stainless tube as the spacers, turned them down to .040. The tube is .065 and the baffles are .085. The baffles are a bit thicker than needed, but its pretty solid. bore is .375"

The baffles look like this...

I didnt end up using that one since as you can see i chipped the back of it pretty good. That lip is for the spacer. This one has since been destroyed as i found out (should have known) recently that i can no longer have that piece once the complete can is assembled and is does not belong to it. The ATF sees it as an unregistered part.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#43]
What are you people using for wipes?  The ID of my tube is 1" and I'm having trouble finding rubber discs that size.  Is rubber the right material?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Cyonal:
What are you people using for wipes?  The ID of my tube is 1" and I'm having trouble finding rubber discs that size.  Is rubber the right material?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cyonal:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d1/d12b29a084c245ff9f1b3b41f5c53512355cce6d508d14fab6fe68281309f5e9.jpg

Oh my apologies.

But where the hell can I find some information on what to use for suppressor wipes, and/or where to buy it in the size I need?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Buy it in sheets and cut/stamp the wipes out yourself. I usually sit down and cut 50 or so at a time. That lasts quite awhile, as I don't shoot that can often. I don't recall if it's 1/4" or 1/8" neoprene, but sheets are available online. Try McMaster Carr, or Graingers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:07:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mre1974] [#47]
Wow, what a great thread with tons of good info in it.  
I'm new to the whole suppressor world and was hoping some of you that are more knowledgable about the subject can help.  

I'm strongly considering building my own can using the mag lite d-cell light for the main body and freeze plugs for baffles.  I've done a bit of reading on that and it seems like a cost effective and viable option for someone that doesn't use it everyday and as an occassional addition to shooting. I want to be able to use it on both my AR Pistol (11.5" barrel, 5.56 NATO) and my carbine (16" barrel, 5.56 NATO).  

I'm torn about the mounting design.  Some people seem to use a single mount where they thread the end cap with the same threads as the barrel and only use that.  Others use various two point designs.  I'm leaning towards a design that would allow me to use a threaded muzzle device with a removable shroud (kineti-tech style) and match the threads for the back of the can and then have the end or the muzzle brake/comp threaded and match that thread internally.  Does this idea sound like a good option?  

Baffles would be made from freeze plugs that would be dimpled inwards (towards the rifle/shooter) then heat treated and quenched in water or used motor oil.  Not sure if useing that heating and quenching process would be applicable to the aluminum of the maglite and the end caps.  Could someone provide some insight about that please and thank you?  

From the sounds of what I've been reading I would not have to seal (weld) the can on both ends to allow for maintenance/cleaning.  Is this correct?  And, yes, I know...form 1 approval before getting the components to assemble the suppressor.  

Sorry for the newb questions but I would like to do it right and not be in any violation before and after filing and getting my form 1 approved.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#48]

I used 5x 60 degree cone baffles. Its 2" to the first cone then the rest are equally spaced to the end cap. I used stainless tube as the spacers, turned them down to .040. The tube is .065 and the baffles are .085. The baffles are a bit thicker than needed, but its pretty solid. bore is .375"

http://i.imgur.com/BX8n2xpl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sesSxIrl.jpg

I didnt end up using that one since as you can see i chipped the back of it pretty good. That lip is for the spacer. This one has since been destroyed as i found out (should have known) recently that i can no longer have that piece once the complete can is assembled and is does not belong to it. The ATF sees it as an unregistered part.
View All Quotes

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/BX8n2xpl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sesSxIrl.jpg

Really nice can.. Can you tell me if you had the baffles and spacers welded together or is it serviceable ?

Thanks Chris
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Nmbmxer:
I just finished my 30cal suppressor on a form 1. The baffle stack is made from a 416 drop that I had gundrilled by Dan LIlja and the sleeve is 304. I threaded the barrels 5/8-24 LH so the can wouldnt unscrew when shot. Total material cost was $150 and I have enough rough gundrilled stock to make another baffle stack.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/WBDIV/Suppressor/MillWork4_09SMALL.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/WBDIV/Suppressor/Suppressor4_10_09008SMALL.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/WBDIV/Suppressor/Suppressor4_10_09024SMALL.jpg

Video of the 30cal can on a .223:
<a href="http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/WBDIV/Suppressor/?action=view¤t=convert010-1.flv" target="_blank">http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/WBDIV/Suppressor/th_convert010-1.jpg</a>
View Quote

You did a great job on this can. Would be interested in how you like it . Looking at this design as well so would like to find out about it.

Thanks Chris
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quick question for the Form 1 suppressor makers.  Is a length required when filling out the form?
Page / 10
Tacked Homemade can... FORM 1 (Page 7 of 10)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top