Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 9:48:46 AM EDT
Looking for a basic pellet gun for the kids that they can grow with (ages 7-11 right now), as well as stealth varmint duty if need be. As such I'm looking at this one in .22 caliber.

Amazon Product
  • Ambidextrous hardwood Stock with comfortable thumbhole
  • Two-stage adjustable trigger
  • Ventilated rubber recoil pad

I don't think we'll be shooting in the backyard, as there are too many neighbors windows, dogs, etc around.

The online reviews seem positive, and it's in the price range I'm looking for (~$100)

Build quality? Accuracy?

My son shot Daisy BB guns with the scouts, and the inaccuracy drove us both nuts. My 2 girls are getting into scouting, and I want something better for them to shoot with, and can last.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My advice is to steer clear of any high velocity spring/piston airguns, especially the inexpensive ones.  

First, these are going to be difficult for kids to cock.  Second, they are going to be quite difficult to shoot well.  The thumb/hand through the stock grips make it even more difficult, for one tends to grip the rifle harder, which is contrary to the technique needed for spring airguns.  Third, unlike the higher end rifles, these are not going to be as easily rebuilt, tuned, nor last a few lifetimes.

ETA: For one of the best easy to shoot and cock spring airgun for the kids would be the Weihrauch HW 30, but these are .177 and good for critters up to starlings.  The next step up in power, which would be fairly easy to shoot well would be the HW 50.  The Wehrauch HW 50 can be had in .177 or .22.  

The other way you could go would be to get something like a Benjamin Maximus or Benjamin Discovery with hand pump.  These PCP air rifle will cost a bit more but you do get several shots before having to pump the rifle up.  They will also be quite easy to shoot well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered a Benjamin 392? Adjustable power, bolt action, no "proper hold" issues.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you considered a Benjamin 392? Adjustable power, bolt action, no "proper hold" issues.
View Quote
Just started looking yesterday, so I'm open to suggestions. I'll take a look at these.

Doesnt the adjustable power mean accuracy may vary depending on the number of pumps? Any issues with the pump mechanism holding up over time?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Sheridan Blue Streak (similar function) the accuracy is the same it just shoots lower with less pumps.
Depending on the target or distance you might not always want full power every shot. With the spring gun it's full power every shot.
Spring guns  are quicker to load and shoot though.
I checked airgun depot and refurbished Benjamin 392's are currently out of stock, they were $129, Pyramid Air has new one's for $169. I think it would be a good learning gun, bolt action just like Dads big guns.
They aren't designed great to scope though but there are options. As a kid, I never had problems putting a pellet through the heads of sparrows in the back yard with open sights.
I just shot mine, two pumps was enough for the pellets to leave the barrel and go through 16oz. beer cans filled with water at 15 yards.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol, just lined up three 16oz. empties back to back filled with water, 3 pumps at 15 yards went through all three cans. I'm out of cans without holes so more testing is pending.
ETA: got an Email from Midway a few days ago about a similar rifle OP was asking about
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?promotionid=1116424&cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-hotbuy-_-benjamin_refurbs-_-20170922&utm_medium=email&utm_source=hot-buy&utm_campaign=benjamin-prowler265503-varmintpowerpack242713&utm_content=main-image-link
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol, just lined up three 16oz. empties back to back filled with water, 3 pumps at 15 yards went through all three cans. I'm out of cans without holes so more testing is pending.
ETA: got an Email from Midway a few days ago about a similar rifle OP was asking about
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?promotionid=1116424&cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-hotbuy-_-benjamin_refurbs-_-20170922&utm_medium=email&utm_source=hot-buy&utm_campaign=benjamin-prowler265503-varmintpowerpack242713&utm_content=main-image-link
View Quote
Nice! Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top