Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 9:40:59 PM EDT
I like reading what other rifles get and with what pellets.
1. 1978 Sheridan Blue Streak I got new, wore out or neglected. I rebuilt it about 2 years ago, using parts I ordered online knowing nothing about it other than reading online and watching youtube videos.
14.3 Grain Benjamins
8 pumps.........587 fps....10.94 fpe
10 pumps.......628 fps....12.53 fpe
12 pumps.......665 fps....14.05 fpe

Hatsan 95 .22 cal Vortex QE
Crosman Premier 14.3 Ultra Mag
740.......17.39 fpe
735.......17.16 fpe
745.......17.63 fpe

Walther Parrus .22 cal
14.3 Crosman Premier Ultra Mag
855......23.22 fpe
858......23.38 fpe
853......23.11 fpe

The easiest to shoot well is the Sheridan, it's also probably the loudest
The Parrus is 2nd lloudest
The 95 is definitely the quietest though the worst in overall build quality, sights and trigger.
No lie, true story.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a little power test I like to do.
It doesn't prove much but hey, shooting airguns is fun. I use these 2.5 litre bottles filled with water to the top, can't fit another drop. They are hard when full and I figure similar to some animal in a vague way.

All 3 shoot all the way through it, IIRC even the Sheridan at 6 pumps CORRECTION: nope 6 pumps aint enough, 8 is.
Range 15 yards
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
This is going to surprise many.  When I was a kid, both my brother and I shot a lot (several hundred) of California ground squirrels with a Sheridan Blue Streak.  What we found was that 6 pumps killed much quicker than 8 at 15 to 20 yards (many were closer).

Later on, we also observed the same effect when shooting birds with shotguns.  Somehow, projectiles in the 400 to 500 ft/s range tend to kill quicker than those significantly above 600 ft/s.   It is not until one gets above 1200 ft/s that things start to go the other way.  These are striking velocities, not muzzle.

On another note, both my brother and I have found that where a PCP tune is most consistent in terms of velocity, is not likely where the most precision occurs. This seems to fly in the face of those who tune only for consistent velocity.  My brother has remarked that he does not know how one can tune for accuracy/precision using a chronograph, for it does not tell the entire story, and it can lie to you.  

That said, velocity measurements are easy to do and easy to compare. They also give one an idea on which level each "platform" lives.

BTW, from what I remember, the Sheridan Blue Streak was rated for up to eight pumps.  Beyond that, you could experience leaks, and seal failure with minimal gain.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the kit I used to rebuild the Sheridan is a mix of normal and good parts. I've chronied it several times and the power always increases with more pumps. I've read every thread there is on these and mine appears to run on the slow side. Probably because of how I put it together or maybe the parts in it,  I don't really know.
I store it with 4 pumps and it holds air every time I check it. I'd like to send it to Mac1 for a steroid tune but it does work fine although a tad slow, so. ..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top