Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2017 10:53:26 PM EDT
I'm in need of an airgun for varmint control on my 3 acres, but I need the questest available in stock form. My budget is under $500. What is recommended?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If you start watching the airgun forums you should be able to snag a used Marauder, scope and pump for $500.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of varmints are you needing to shoot?  If any are larger than a groundhog/rockchuck then you will need to step up to a .25 at least.  The .177 is good for critters up to the size of largish rats and cotton tail rabbits.  Jack rabbits/hares are better using .22 and up.   (Of note, our U.K. friends shoot a lot of game this size with 12 ft-lb energy level rifles.  More power than that and then they need a FAC (firearms certificate)).

The recommendation of the Marauder is a good one.  Hatsan makes a less expensive but similar rifle.  However, it does lack a lot of refinement than the Marauder (which is also relatively crude compared to $1500 plus rifles).

The less expensive Benjamin PCPs are not suppressed, and will be somewhat loud.  Spring guns, while they can be fairly quiet, are going to be louder than a suppressed PCP, and are much more difficult to shoot well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of varmints are you needing to shoot?
View Quote
Mainly, I need to crack down on the Vole population on my property. The little fuckers killed 3 of my trees over the winter by burrowing in the ground and eating their roots.

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:38:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Those things only come out at night if ever don't they? For those I'd think almost anything would work. I've read that the Ruger Airhawk is a pretty good RWS 34 chinese copy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those things only come out at night if ever don't they? For those I'd think almost anything would work. I've read that the Ruger Airhawk is a pretty good RWS 34 chinese copy.
View Quote
and not particularly quiet.   Marauder in .177 will do the business on those, and they are scary quiet.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
For those you don't need much.

$120 - CO2 gun tuned at ~12 FPE - http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55
$75 - quiet it down, it's completely legal to order e.g. a TKO
$90 - decent scope, maybe UTG bugbuster.  you could go cheaper if you want, doesn't take much at those ranges.

Should be quiet, accurate, and no pumping nonsense or several hundred dollar investment in tanks.

If you want "out of the box" with just enough power but not much more but quiet, I'd go for an Umarex Fusion, even comes with a scope.  Might be able to tweak it up a dew additional FPE.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If the airgun shoots a pellet around 1000fps the pellet will make more noise than the gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and not particularly quiet.   Marauder in .177 will do the business on those, and they are scary quiet.
View Quote
I vote for Armada - it is essentially a Marauder but it is fully night vision compatible if you decide to go that route. Mine is a reaper.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the airgun shoots a pellet around 1000fps the pellet will make more noise than the gun.
View Quote
Absolutely true.  I read on one of the articles on Pyramid Air's website that the quietest the writer could get his marauder was when he tuned it to about 600 fps.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Absolutely true.  I read on one of the articles on Pyramid Air's website that the quietest the writer could get his marauder was when he tuned it to about 600 fps.
View Quote
The Marauder is very adjustable, you can easily tweak velocity up or down, the manual you get with the gun shows you how to tune it.   You can simply use heavier pellets to lower velocity without compromising lethality of the gun.   If you want to increase performance there are all kinds of parts from Wicked, Hill, Cothran, Mountain Custom, Marmot Militia, and Baker you can throw in.   And unlike C02 guns, PCP guns are unaffected by colder weather.   Seriously, the Marauder is easily the quietest gun in stock form out there, and in .177 it is freaky quiet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Wouldn't. 22, being a larger heavier pellet, be quieter than .177?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wouldn't. 22, being a larger heavier pellet, be quieter than .177?
View Quote
It's my experience that the larger bore, using more air, is louder.   If you compare the .177 MROD to the .22, they are both extraordinarily quiet, but the .177 is clearly quieter.   I have a .25, and, while quiet compared to other .25 guns, is no where near as quiet as the smaller bores.   I have to use a shroud extension and other methods to dampen down the .25 to make it completely backyard friendly, particularly since my MROD is fairly heavily modded to push to 70 foot pounds to control song dogs and other medium sized vermin.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]
... and don't forget - there will always be noise on target impact. The critters getting tagged make more noise than my Armada - at least that's how it sounds to me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#15]
If you get a .22 marauder the neighbors will have no idea what you are doing if they cannot see you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an Airarms TX200 in .177 and if I had this rifle as a kid there would be no birds in Ohio.
I have bagged crows at around 60 yards and head shots on skunks at 35 yards is easy.

As to noise levels here is a DB chart for comparison~

Noise chart
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an Airarms TX200 in .177 and if I had this rifle as a kid there would be no birds in Ohio.
I have bagged crows at around 60 yards and head shots on skunks at 35 yards is easy.

As to noise levels here is a DB chart for comparison~

Noise chart
View Quote
Sadly, that list only includes springers.    As a guy who owns a RWS-36 (fancier version of the 34) and a TX-200, the MROD is dramatically quieter, as is my stock Compact Cricket.   I love to shoot the springers, but if noise is an issue PCP's are easier to quiet.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
so how does the maurader compare with the built in suppressed ones? or is it not the same for some reason?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#19]
The Marauder (and Armada) are fully shrouded with baffles in front of the muzzle.  In both .22 and .177 they are extremely quiet.  The .25 is only slightly louder, but mainly due to the bigger thump of the pellet impact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top