Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2017 8:02:34 PM EDT
A while back, I posted this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_54/455836_Gamo_Whisper_Wandering_Zero_Problem_.html

TL;DR: Gamo Whisper with a wandering zero.  Would group 2-3 shots, then POI would shift and it would group 2-3 shots in a different place.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

One possible remedy I found was to clean the barrel.  So, I did. And finally, this past weekend, I had a chance to get out and shoot it.

I have to say, there was much improvement. It is still not where I want it to be, but instead of the groups shifting, they are largely in one group about 2"@25 with an occasional anomalous shot about 1-2" away from the rest of the group. But, it is now actually shootable and I think if I clean it again, maybe the groups will tighten up even more. I even hit a 1 foot square steel target at 100 yards several times with it just for giggles.

If I can get this thing making even 1" groups at 25 yards, I'll be happy.  Funny thing is, I originally got this thing back during the post Sandy Hook crisis as something I could shoot that was cheap and had readily available ammo, but I can see that even if .22 isn't hard to find, that shooting airguns still has an appeal of its own.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A while back, I posted this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_54/455836_Gamo_Whisper_Wandering_Zero_Problem_.html

TL;DR: Gamo Whisper with a wandering zero.  Would group 2-3 shots, then POI would shift and it would group 2-3 shots in a different place.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

One possible remedy I found was to clean the barrel.  So, I did. And finally, this past weekend, I had a chance to get out and shoot it.

I have to say, there was much improvement. It is still not where I want it to be, but instead of the groups shifting, they are largely in one group about 2"@25 with an occasional anomalous shot about 1-2" away from the rest of the group. But, it is now actually shootable and I think if I clean it again, maybe the groups will tighten up even more. I even hit a 1 foot square steel target at 100 yards several times with it just for giggles.

If I can get this thing making even 1" groups at 25 yards, I'll be happy.  Funny thing is, I originally got this thing back during the post Sandy Hook crisis as something I could shoot that was cheap and had readily available ammo, but I can see that even if .22 isn't hard to find, that shooting airguns still has an appeal of its own.
View Quote

What method did you use to clean?
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I was just told that I had to shoot 200 pellets before I could expect the accuracy to settle down.  Domnt know if this is BS, I did give up before I shot it that much.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was just told that I had to shoot 200 pellets before I could expect the accuracy to settle down.  Domnt know if this is BS, I did give up before I shot it that much.
View Quote
With a new gun this is pretty true...it takes a while for everything to set.....some things take longer, the only way to really know is shooting over a chrony....and you see the numbers start to look normal.

It is a common myth that you don't have to clean an air rifle....BS....pellets are dirty, you do need to clean the barrel.  No brushes, just a patch with whatever you like...you will be shocked at the goonk that comes out of them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you using one type of pellet for testing accuracy ? I'm kinda happy that I picked up a .20 cal because there are only 7 types of currently made pellets compared to the 100's in .177 and .22 I find that heavier domed pellets to be accurate and don't use the Gamo alloy pellets for accuracy or hunting as they just have a mind of their own
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top