BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The barrel didnt index to the receiver, so it's at a shop getting turned down and chamber checked after that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mean, you done got your ol' lady to pop out a kid, but we still need an update.
The barrel didnt index to the receiver, so it's at a shop getting turned down and chamber checked after that.
cool

Hey.

I'm getting around to getting to Sam's man.  Haven't forgotten about you, the ol' lady, and Barrett.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

cool

Hey.

I'm getting around to getting to Sam's man.  Haven't forgotten about you, the ol' lady, and Barrett.
View Quote
You dont need to worry about it bro, we are good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat project. I'm interested in the final result.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Terrific thread!

Any updates to post, OP?

Range report?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Been ordering a ton of stuff for this thing. Barrel/gas block and rear sight come in tomorrow. Got all new trigger, stainless pins and small parts ordered from Midway, Brownells, and Numrich.

Receiver, bolt, slide, hammer, sear and trigger housing are packed up to go to CCR to get CPII cutting. Electrolysis and a bath in Evapo-Rust with the ultrasonic did a lot of theleg work before I went after it with the brushes.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/237639/A17B9F58-8CDF-4F36-A51D-1BE1CED15CD3-536063.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/237639/B7C34F54-B491-495B-82CF-81FDE8ED5505-536065.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/237639/7A20CC06-50E6-40EA-B20E-7FD23CE290B7-536067.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/237639/D03C9B87-FAC7-4FD5-9DF5-23F4445D5748-536068.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/237639/4E4315EA-2627-4DB3-8A2D-C9EADEC295DF-536069.JPG
View Quote
I love hippos.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
In! I love these kinds of threads
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Wont you have twice or three times the cost of buying a new or used mini and still wind up with a less than great mini.

Hobby restoration is fun but man, its just a carbine easily found anywhere.

You are a man with a mission and passionate. I guess there is that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wont you have twice or three times the cost of buying a new or used mini and still wind up with a less than great mini.

View Quote
Thanks for your worthless input.

Everything is currently in storage and we sold the house and moved into a toyhauler camper until we PCS to Alaska in May. Going to get this finished up on leave in April and update with range report.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]
In.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
You don't seem to understand, sometimes projects have a sentimental value that can not be measured in dollars.  Buying a new Mini would not have the connection to the past this one does.  I get what OP is doing.  Its not about a gun, its about family history.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OP, I congratulate you on reviving what was nearly a piece of junk.  In doing so, you have brought a tear to the eye of every gun-banner.
Some might question the financial wisdom of proceeding down your path, but I do not.  Sometimes projects have worth besides their monetary value.

I have spent a lot of time, effort, and a fair bit of money on my Mini-14, bringing a the pencil-barrel 185-series up to a reasonable standard of accuracy and reliability.  Fortunately, some uninformed shorty-AR owners helped quite a bit with the money part.   For your Range test, may I suggest putting the barreled action into a tight-fitting synthetic stock, and installing a barrel stabilizer?  These are both relatively simple things to do, and will make a considerable difference.  Depending on the rate-of-twist of your current barrel, be advised that the many rates-of-twist of the barrels seem to be "friendlier" to different weights of bullets.  I suggest investigating on www.perfectunion.com.  Of course, we here will be ready to help, if needed.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for making Diane Feinstein cry.
View Quote
I got an older butler creek folder stock for him and it is TIGHT!

Well I got it 95% together yesterday at my uncles gunsmith shop. Luckily he keeps a large collection of springs and roll pins because there were a few I had to replace that I had forgotten to order. I was able to fire off a round.

Issues-

Magazine catch/latch just flops around unless the hammer is forward, because thats the only time the spring is pressing against something. Also, having never owned or fired one of these in factory form, is there nothing that supports the front of the magazine besides the catch that goes in the hole of the mag?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this helpful at all?

Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this helpful at all?

https://i.imgur.com/9ARSLSR.jpg
View Quote
I had a full schematic from Numrich but ended up realizing I had the mag catch spring upside down and not on the trigger pack ledge.

Got it going and fired off 13 rounds today, the last one separated, lol.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Well that's just cool!
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What is that white substance at the base of the ctg?
View Quote
Cerrosafe cast into the split case to remove it from the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What is that white substance at the base of the ctg?  You definitely need to have the headspace checked on your Mini before firing it again.  If it becomes necessary to send it off to Ruger, make sure to remove the flash suppressor before doing so.
View Quote
It was headspaced, just an unlucky round out of it. A gunsmith installed the barrel on the receiver and checked it. As mentioned above, its cerrosafe to remove the casing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Awesome posting OP

Looks very sweet - looking forward to a full range report...

Red
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Fantastic resurrection thread!
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#23]
That is awesome. I love a good comeback story.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice work OP!
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll voice what one of the other guys said, unsure if worth the effort.  Would have been neat if the original stock had been saved and you could have hung it as is over the doorway or fireplace.  Would look like something dug up from the 19th century, but its a Mini...

Good luck with the resto.  Was the boat completely submerged or did it occasionally see air on deck.  Kinda surprised there is that much corrosion in one year in cold water, but then again salt water and Ruger blued steel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Great story , and the gun looks great ,
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#27]
@ZacSquatch bringing good things back to life.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top