Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2017 10:59:54 AM EDT
Stainless Steel Series 181 Mini-14. {wood handguard}

Blued Series 184 Mini-14. {fibreglass handguard}

Both mint w/ box.

I have shot both and they are comparable. Blued gun has a slightly crisper trigger. Blued gun rear sight leaf jiggles a bit but doesn't seem to effect accuracy.

I get to pick which one I want.

Which one would you pick and why?

Ready. Set. Go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending upon the price, maybe you could talk him into selling you both for a deal.  After all, this is ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
With only being able to pick one I would get the stainless. Besides the obvious benefits of stainless, the wood handguard really looks nice on these rifles.  You could buy a replacement factory fiberglass handguard to swap on it for shooting and keep the wood one nice and unburnt (happens durring rapid fire).
Only other thing i can think of is maybe different serie rifles had different barrel twist rates? If thats the case then your preferences in ammo might be a factor. Just guessing here.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With only being able to pick one I would get the stainless. Besides the obvious benefits of stainless, the wood handguard really looks nice on these rifles.  You could buy a replacement factory fiberglass handguard to swap on it for shooting and keep the wood one nice and unburnt (happens durring rapid fire).
Only other thing i can think of is maybe different serie rifles had different barrel twist rates? If thats the case then your preferences in ammo might be a factor. Just guessing here.
View Quote
RE:  Twist rate.  Good question.

I already called Ruger and they said both have 1/10.   Thus making the decision no easier to make!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get the blued one, especially if you shoot rapid fire frequently. The stainless barrels will discolor if they get too hot, and the wood handguard will char (and eventually burn). Same as the early M14 rifles.

If that's not a concern for you, the stainless and wood handguard are both prettier.

The loose rear sight can probably be tightened with some careful peening.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Stainless worth more, wood handguard worth more. Other than that buy what you think looks best. I'd get the stainless.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I would pick the blued unless the stainless was the side folder model
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Stainless worth more, wood handguard worth more. Other than that buy what you think looks best. I'd get the stainless.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
What would the A-Team do?  There is only right answer as far as I am aware...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Forgot to update.

I went with the blued 184.

Trigger and accuracy were that much better.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
According to the book, Ruger and his Guns, the twist rate of the Mini-14 started out at 1-in-10" in 1975. It then changed to 1-in-7" in 1989 and then finally to the current 1-in-9" starting in mid-1994. Don't know if if has changed since 1994.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top