Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2017 1:25:26 AM EDT
I just picked up a scout in .308   I have been curious about the rifle since its release, i really lucked into a deal on a very near new scout, the previous owner could not have fired more than a mag full.
 It came with a nice leather strap and a weaver scope.  Well today i got the chance to take it out and once i got it sighted in i started to really enjoy the little ruger.
My complaint though is in the Magazine. It is a plastic? 10n rd mag that does have the Ruger emblem on the base. dont know if it is the mag that the gun ships with?  Anyways i get a problem chambering the last two rounds...and especially the last round.  
  Are there any better mags available for this neet little .308 from ruger or anyone else?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's a Ruger magazine and something is wrong with it Ruger should replace it. They had issues with early 10 round magazines. The Magpul AICS magazines fit and work in the GSR, I didn't think it was anything special over the factory Ruger mags but some others really like them better.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
My Scout shipped with a single AICS mag, (steel). I bought two more at about $69 each IIRC because the polymer mags werent available at that time.
Once the polymer's came online, I bought three 10 rounders. They all function fine and I prefer them to the AICS metal mags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Magpul AICS 7.62. Saves the Ruger GSR.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!  will check out the magpuls.  also am i safe to use any type of 7.62x51  or do i have to stick to commercial .308?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks!  will check out the magpuls.  also am i safe to use any type of 7.62x51  or do i have to stick to commercial .308?
View Quote
You shouldn't have any pressure issues with either commercial or milsurp ammo.  The relationship between 7.62x51 and .308 is different than 5.56 and .223.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have not posted in years, but thought I would chime in. I just got back from Eastern Europe, and made my Ruger dealer very happy, as I have been replacing my armory that I could not have where I was, except those utilized for work. At any rate, I also just purchases my 4th Ruger Gunsite, synthetic stock stainless model.

AICS metal mags are well made, which is why they aren’t exactly cheap. There are two different versions of polymer mags now from Ruger, ranging in capacities of 3 rounds, 5 and 10. The polymer mags from Ruger are a bit more compact than the metal ones, and the polymers also allow for top loading while the magazine is still chambered, whereas the metal variety must be removed and cannot be topped off while in the magwell. Though they all interchange, I am using polymer mags with the synthetic stock, and use metal mags with the laminate rifles, but for no particular reason.

Since you’re new to the GSR, I will give my $.02. Being used, I would check the action bolt, make sure that it is torqued to specs (different for polymer or laminate rifles). If you ever wish to really get the best of accuracy, Federal Gold Medal Match, has worked great in all of mine, though yours may like a different brand, usually you will find a match grade ammo that shoots well, (the twist ratio seems to prefer weights of 168 grain and heavier) as mine have all been MOA, with a couple of them being 3/4 MOA rifles when I did my part. All of mine have worn leather from Andy’s Leather, and his Rhodesian sling works great with most carry styles, be it American, European or African carry style of slinging it. I know a lot of people do not use slings, but if you’re shooting offhand, with good technique it will really help, if you are so inclined. This latest one of mine, was going to be a basis for a custom, chambered in 338 Federal, but I have just decided to get another, instead of touching this one.

Hope this helps! Happy shooting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top