Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2017 7:15:59 AM EDT
So quick question.....does anyone know why Ruger didn't go with one that uses AR mags?  I really like the idea of the RAR in .223 but I just can't warm up to the Mossberg.  So why not AR mags?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#1]

My Patriot 243 is a nice shooter. Don't know why you wouldn't like it. I really like the Predator model in 308...wish a sale would pop up with a too good to pass price on one...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Cuz they have a standard Magwell for all calibers (223 308 etc)

That said, the RAR mag is ASS

It has this little square inside that risks impacting your primer every time you load a round (not a joke, I'm shocked they let something that unsafe be)

This is especially bad if your trying to load the mag fast IE on the range.

Also I had to use a file to make it feed properly

Shameless plug:
Ruger American Rifle Compact 223
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So quick question.....does anyone know why Ruger didn't go with one that uses AR mags?  I really like the idea of the RAR in .223 but I just can't warm up to the Mossberg.  So why not AR mags?
View Quote

AR mags limit your OAL.  The RPR mags allow longer OALs, so longer/heavier bullets can be seated further out, reducing case intrusion and increasing available volume for powder, as well as allowing handloaders to seat those long bullets closer to the lands to improve accuracy.  

Not using AR mags is a good thing for those looking to maximize accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m thinking I’ll probably end up with the magpul stock for mine and just use AICS mags

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

AR mags limit your OAL.  The RPR mags allow longer OALs, so longer/heavier bullets can be seated further out, reducing case intrusion and increasing available volume for powder, as well as allowing handloaders to seat those long bullets closer to the lands to improve accuracy.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize we’re not talking about the precision rifle right?

This is about the American and it’s cheesy little plastic rotary mag.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m thinking I’ll probably end up with the magpul stock for mine and just use AICS mags

View Quote
LOL, nope!    (Looks around for reading glasses)

If the .223 mag is as shitty as the 6.5cm mag, I concur about saving money for the Magpul stock or other system that uses AICS mags.

Does the American 223 mag allow for longer OALs than an AR mag?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If the .223 mag is as shitty as the 6.5cm mag, I concur about saving money for the Magpul stock or other system that uses AICS mags.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it does it's not much. Can't remember the exact number but you still run into problems with long bullets. The AICS will be a nice upgrade. I hope there are no issues with the magpul setup and 223 as all their literature and releases that I have seen are 308 sized stuff.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based on my friend's experience with AR mags and bolt guns, specifically the Mossberg, it doesn't work very well.  His mossie is extremely picking about what AR mags it will work with.  

Think about it for a minute.  AR mags have been around for fifty years.  And there's still very few bolt guns that run them.  I believe that's called a sign.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top