Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2017 10:17:20 AM EDT
Ruger continues to make the exact products I would like to buy. They now list the 6.5 Creedmoor Gunsite Rifle on their website as a Davidsons exclusive, but there was not much fanfare about it becoming permanent.

The original production run was also not widely broadcast either.

It's proving difficult to gather info on how these perform and if they are worth the $$. For someone invested in 6.5 already, this seems like a really neat hunting/ranch rifle.

Anyone on Arfcom own one? Do these use the same laminate stock with a paint job on it? The weight listed is the same as the laminate model, not the synthetic. Also, do they use the exact same accurate mag? Will the factory Ruger .308 polymer mags work with the 6.5 model?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw the other day that they are now offering it in 6.5. I have one in 308 and it is one of my favorite rifles.

Ruger seems to not do a good job in communicating available or coming guns. Before I bought my GSR in 308 I contacted their CS as I wanted one in .450 Bushmaster, and they told me they had no knowledge of any intent to produce one. 3 months later they have one for sale, but with a 16.5" barrel and I need an 18.5" or longer so, oh well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree the package is very sweet handling. I'm wondering if they are accurate and how well the 6.5 performs at that barrel length.

Even the scout forums only have threads of "I bought one!" But no AAR.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I did not know about this one either. Very interesting.

Regarding barrel length, I found this. . It's less length dependent than I thought.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one. it shoots about 1 MOA. you give up some in fps but the high BCs of the 140 and 147 gr will get you to a 1000 yds with no problems
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one. it shoots about 1 MOA. you give up some in fps but the high BCs of the 140 and 147 gr will get you to a 1000 yds with no problems
View Quote
My concern was that the posted twist rate in the GSR is almost on the slower side for a 6.5CM (I keep seeing recommendations for 1:8" or so with heavier bullets, and the GSR 6.5 spec sheet says 1:10")...but it sounds like that's not a problem for you, perhaps? Or is the spec sheet in error and they just reused the numbers from the .308 model?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My question is along the same lines. I was almost sure that the GSR in 6.5 came with their synthetic stock, but the weight is near identical to the .308 in laminate, and I would've expected it to be the same as the .308 in black synthetic. Thanks for sharing about the accuracy piece. That's pretty good for a shorter barreled, hunting oriented rifle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot 140 eldm and 143 eldx and have had no stabilization problems. it is a synthetic stock in a desert type digital camo. This rifle I'm not going to part with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#8]
checking on their site the other day, Ruger is claiming it's a synthetic stock, and 1:8 twist.  The weight is confusing, and I doubt it's because of the extra meat on the barrel with a .260 bore versus a .308 bore.  My suspicion is that whoever was loading the tech data just copied a .308 PDF and slapped it up there.  Will probably see some further edits down the road, as to whether it's a synthetic, laminate, and true weight.

I just ordered the .308 18" GSR, and am going to put the synthetic stock on it that has the bedding block.  I think it's going to be my perfect walk around gun with my specwar 762 attached.  Lighter/handier than my Remington AAC/SD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top