Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 9:50:30 AM EDT
I bought one of these about a month ago. It's an older model with blued finish and wooden stock. Very impressed with it so far and I expect it will see roughly 2K rounds through it per year, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up.

There's a lot of debate about what sort of accuracy they are capable of. I'd like to use it out to 200yds since I participate in PCC competitions at this distance, so it's going to be an interesting reloading project seeing what it can do.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what bullet and powder may be a good place to start? It's showing some initial promise with 2400 and cheap 240gr JFP. I have heard they prefer heavy bullets in the upper 200 to 300gr range? Planning on using high-quality bullets from Sierra and Lapua, etc.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Give IMR4227 a try. It has worked well in my Deerfield and M629. I am using 240 XTP and LSWC.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought one of these about a month ago. It's an older model with blued finish and wooden stock. Very impressed with it so far and I expect it will see roughly 2K rounds through it per year, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up.

There's a lot of debate about what sort of accuracy they are capable of. I'd like to use it out to 200yds since I participate in PCC competitions at this distance, so it's going to be an interesting reloading project seeing what it can do.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what bullet and powder may be a good place to start? It's showing some initial promise with 2400 and cheap 240gr JFP. I have heard they prefer heavy bullets in the upper 200 to 300gr range? Planning on using high-quality bullets from Sierra and Lapua, etc.

Thanks.
View Quote

You are using a bolt gun in PCC? Interesting... around here everyone uses a semi auto with a large capacity magazine.

My 77/44 is good for minute of whitetail out to 125 yds using the Hornady 300 XTP and W-W 296 power. Sorry, I have no real reference for what it does beyond that distance.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are using a bolt gun in PCC? Interesting... around here everyone uses a semi auto with a large capacity magazine.

My 77/44 is good for minute of whitetail out to 125 yds using the Hornady 300 XTP and W-W 296 power. Sorry, I have no real reference for what it does beyond that distance.
View Quote
Unfortunately, we're not allowed self-loading rifles in any centrefire calibre. Lever-actions are the most popular substitute, but I didn't want another one. I had a Destroyer carbine in 9mm Largo before the 77/44 - it was awful and the Ruger is far better quality.

My 77/44 is now away having a bedding job and free float. I've got about a month before it's back, so hopefully, I'll have some range results at some point in June.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The 77/22 Volquartsen target sear is the best $15 or $20 I've ever spent on a gun, period.  I load 300 grain XTPs to 1.624 OAL over 18.4 grains of IMR 4227 to shoot out of my SRT integral with a 1:11 Douglas fast twist barrel.  They average 1015 FPS, but will go faster, but I'm trying to keep subsonic.  What increased my accuracy was trimming the brass and making sure that they are ALL the SAME length.  Helped tremendously- went from 6" groups to 2.5" at 100 yards.  I've also got a 96/44 with the factory 1:24 (I think) twist, and it shoots the same loads to about 3.5-4" at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 77/22 Volquartsen target sear is the best $15 or $20 I've ever spent on a gun, period.  I load 300 grain XTPs to 1.624 OAL over 18.4 grains of IMR 4227 to shoot out of my SRT integral with a 1:11 Douglas fast twist barrel.  They average 1015 FPS, but will go faster, but I'm trying to keep subsonic.  What increased my accuracy was trimming the brass and making sure that they are ALL the SAME length.  Helped tremendously- went from 6" groups to 2.5" at 100 yards.  I've also got a 96/44 with the factory 1:24 (I think) twist, and it shoots the same loads to about 3.5-4" at 100 yards.
View Quote
That's all very interesting, especially the improvement from trimmed brass, and the particularly slow powder. I'm still shopping for bullets as finding anything other than no-brand 240gn JFP is difficult, at least at a reasonable price.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top