Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2016 8:38:25 AM EDT
Just picked this up. I got an Omega suppressor cleared a few weeks Ago. I have an Handi Rifle in 300 and it's stupid quiet. I wanted to get a semi, but I just didn't want to go AR for some reason. When I saw Ruger was offering the mini in 300 I figured this would be the way to go. It's pretty sweet.

Put a handful of rounds through it real quick just to see how it sounded. 220gr was completely hearing safe-cycle perfectly and locked the bolt back.

I hate the stock. Anyone have a factory folder for sale?  Any aftermarket stocks you guys recommend?  I would love the Sage or Clyde armory stock...but no one seems to have any available. Open to any other suggestions...

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome! I was thinking about getting one. What don't you like about the stock?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't fit me. Doesn't feel solid. Might just pick up a junk wood stock for the time being.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
It would cost a fortune but the AC556 folder from the full auto version mini14 would be awesome.
I recall seeing a whole rack of originals on full autos from Ruger in Bolivia in 1990.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea. I've been looking. Missed one on eBay by a few hours. It was beat...and way too much. But you are correct. I think it would suit this build perfect.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a full wood stock that you can have for free. It is less the metal. IM me your address and I will send it to you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Banditman

I appreciate it brother!!  But I found a stock I wanted.  I will post pics after it arrives.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
No problem, hope it works out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just picked this up. I got an Omega suppressor cleared a few weeks Ago. I have an Handi Rifle in 300 and it's stupid quiet. I wanted to get a semi, but I just didn't want to go AR for some reason. When I saw Ruger was offering the mini in 300 I figured this would be the way to go. It's pretty sweet.
View Quote

Great looking rifle with the Omega mounted. Is there any way you can take a close up picture of the bare muzzle threads and shoulder with the can removed? I assume Ruger threaded it with a square shoulder but my Mini-30 Tactical was threaded with a tapered shoulder and had to be repaired. I've thought about adding a Mini-14/300 to the safe but I was kind of turned off by the factory thread job on my 30 and don't want to repeat that experience again. Also looking forward to the pics with the wood stock.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Threads and shoulder look good. Still need to shoot for accuracy. Gotta find the time...
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The rifle/stock/suppressor combination looks fantastic. I need one of those stocks for one of my Mini's. Also, thanks for the great closeup of the muzzle threads, looks like Ruger decided to thread the 300 BLK model correctly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Banditman

I appreciate it brother!!  But I found a stock I wanted.  I will post pics after it arrives.
View Quote

The people here make me proud, the funny thing is that I know it is full of deplorable s - LOL

Red
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice rifle OP looks good in that stock. Ill bet its more accurate than any A-team member too!
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#14]
How is the reliability and accuracy?
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Subbing as I am interested myself.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This ? we have them for sale at work . They get no interest at all from customers
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This ? we have them for sale at work . They get no interest at all from customers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@poepoe310

is this how that works?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#18]
The tagging me worked!

It's been 100% reliable for me. That's with 220gr subsonics suppressed. Only like 80 rounds though. I haven had time to do a real accuracy test. I'll try and shoot some paper this week if I have time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice Mini.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd like one if they were cheaper, but Mini14's are too much for me to justify.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Almost immediately after posting that, I took pity on a dealer I used to work with. He had one he'd had for a long time, so I took it off his hands at a little less than cost. $650.

Didn't bother shooting it until today. I have an AR15 SBR, 10" barrel, but shooting it entails inhaling gas with the silencer on so I bought a Bootlegger bolt carrier. Shot it today, still so-so.

But the ruger mini14 was sooo much more fun than I thought it would be. I was at an indoor range so shooting at 25' just to play with it. Accuracy was of course fine, but not like a real test.

Reliability was great, not a single problem. Shot supersonic without silencer, then subsonic with silencer. Subsonic was very nice. Some blowback, but not at your face, just sort of visible.

All in all, quite the fun piece of hardware. Very happy with it. Now I'm going to look at whether I want to SBR the damn thing to make it even more fun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Did it cycle w/ subsonic .223"?  Duh.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a 583 Series Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 5.56 and after a few tweaks to help accuracy, it can produce 1½" groups at 100yds with my handloads.  It's known for it's reliability and so far through almost 2,000rds, I'm really pleased with it.  I use it as a plinker and most of the time I like to shoot bowling pins at 200 and 300yds with it.  200 isn't that difficult, but 300 with open sights is a challenge.  Great little carbine that's much more compact and handy than my AR carbines.  The 20rd mag gives it the best balance and feel for most people. The Garand like action makes it's manual of arms a snap with my M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and M1A. 

Not dissing my ARs, as you see, I've got both a RRA mid-length carbine and my RRA A4 'Walnut Wonder', 400+ yd Apple Shooter below.  I just like the compact style and feel of this Ruger carbine better; less GI Joe and more comfortable plinker.  However, it's true that I'm a 'wood and steel' vs 'plastic and aluminum' kind of guy as you can see below.

Quoted:
Did it cycle w/ subsonic .223"?
It's a 300 BO so I'm guessing that the OP never tried to fire .223 in it (however, I could be wrong).  

Ruger says the sub-sonic 300 BO will cycle well with a suppressor on it; without one it won't.  The OP said his sub-sonic 220grn heavy bullets did well with the suppressor.  I see this Mini as a great sub-sonic, suppressed carbine that does really well with 150grn and higher class bullets.  In a super-sonic role, I'd prefer the Mini-30 as the 7.62x39 rd produces about 200-250fps higher velocities than the 300 BO, using 125grn class bullets.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's a 300 BO so I'm guessing that the OP never tried to fire .223 in it (however, I could be wrong).  

Ruger says the sub-sonic 300 BO will cycle well with a suppressor on it; without one it won't.  The OP said his sub-sonic 220grn heavy bullets did well with the suppressor.  I see this Mini as a great sub-sonic, suppressed carbine that does really well with 150grn and higher class bullets.  In a super-sonic role, I'd prefer the Mini-30 as the 7.62x39 rd produces about 200-250fps higher velocities than the 300 BO, using 125grn class bullets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  Did it cycle w/ subsonic .223"?

Derp.  Missed that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#26]
In for accuracy results.

I have a 584xxx w/factory folder that is a fun gun, but not very accurate. And a .300 suppressor. Will a new .300 Mini drop right in to the old factory folder stock?

Dropping the 584xxx rifle into the new stock might net me half my cost back on GB, and then I'd have a really nice mini.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a 583 Series Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 5.56 and after a few tweaks to help accuracy, it can produce 1½" groups at 100yds with my handloads.  It's known for it's reliability and so far through almost 2,000rds, I'm really pleased with it.  I use it as a plinker and most of the time I like to shoot bowling pins at 200 and 300yds with it.  200 isn't that difficult, but 300 with open sights is a challenge.  Great little carbine that's much more compact and handy than my AR carbines.  The 20rd mag gives it the best balance and feel for most people. The Garand like action makes it's manual of arms a snap with my M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and M1A. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/20151122_084819_zpsfh704ffa.jpg

Not dissing my ARs, as you see, I've got both a RRA mid-length carbine and my RRA A4 'Walnut Wonder', 400+ yd Apple Shooter below.  I just like the compact style and feel of this Ruger carbine better; less GI Joe and more comfortable plinker.  However, it's true that I'm a 'wood and steel' vs 'plastic and aluminum' kind of guy as you can see below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2956%20-%20Copy_zps6cblaqn3.jpg

View Quote
Your Mini is what I tried to mimic for my mini.  Haven't messed with the gas block screws, and don't have my reloading table here either...and haven't gotten to shoot it yet.    But I have it, just the same. 

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In for accuracy results.

I have a 584xxx w/factory folder that is a fun gun, but not very accurate. And a .300 suppressor. Will a new .300 Mini drop right in to the old factory folder stock?

Dropping the 584xxx rifle into the new stock might net me half my cost back on GB, and then I'd have a really nice mini.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In for accuracy results.

I've never seen a 584 series yet.  Didn't know that they were being produced.  How new is it?

Quoted:
Your Mini is what I tried to mimic for my mini.  Haven't messed with the gas
block screws, and don't have my reloading table here either...and
haven't gotten to shoot it yet.    But I have it, just the same. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/IMG-0927-184752.jpg
I treated mine to the following accuracy enhancements to produce 1¼" - 1½" groups.  It looks like you've done the Accu-Strut and Choate HG; even painting it the same as mine (good choice).  Check out my list and consider any others you haven't done.  They all (better sights, shimmed receiver, trigger job, and especially handloads) add up to produce the better groupings and more enjoyable shooting.  (BTW, expecting high precision and tight groups with cheap blasting ammo is a pipe dream.)  Here is the list of things I did to my New, 583 Series Ranch Rifle. I wanted a reliable, fun all around irons only shooter with decent accuracy that was reminiscent of my M14 in the Army and my M1A. The list below shows what mods I made, how much they cost, and what they are for.

Choate Handguard swap: $15 - Choate Handguard not only looks better but it cools the barrel much better than Ruger's. No, it doesn't cover the op rod but neither does the handguard on 5.5 million M1 Garands, 6.5 million M1 Carbines, and 1.4 million M14s.

Wilson 1911 Buffers: $6 (set of 6) - Addition of 2 Wilson 1911 (yep, pistol) bushing, one around the gas pipe in the front and one on the Op rod spring at the rear. Together, they will tone down the cycling jolts and eliminate metal to metal slamming.

Mini200 Rear Sight: $65 - Tech Sights' Mini200 rear sight gives better irons sighting and adjustment than Ruger's stock one. Add to that their $15 optional aperture package with 3 different aperture sizes and when you use the target .042" aperture, you have a NM like rear sight.

Thinned Front Sight: $0 - Thinning down the .075"-.077" thick front sight to .050", combined with a target .042" rear aperture gives you a 'NM' equivalent sight set.

Lightened Safety Lever: $0 – In keeping with the whole ‘M14 Look’ I was going for, I took a page from my M1A and old M14 in the Army and dissembled the trigger group to get at the Safety Lever so I could drill a hole in it.  (The lighter weight really helps the balance.  

Gas Bushing Reduction:
$50 - Swap of the overly large stock Gas Bushing with a smaller one. Sets of .040", .045", .050", and .060" are available. My .045" Gas Bushing reduces the cycling violence which improves accuracy on the Mini14 while the .060" version works well with the Mini30. Shorter barreled Tactical models need a slightly larger aperture size. (The reduced size gas bushing gives the added benefit of reducing the distance your Mini throws brass. Mine went from 50-60 ft NIB to 12-15 ft currently with my handloads.)

Gas Block Torque: $0 - We've found that torquing the gas block bolts to30 in/lbs when reassembling and keeping the upper and lower halve gaps consistent aides in accuracy.

Shimmed Receiver: $0 - I found that my action was fairly tight in my stock with it set in without the trigger group installed but I wanted to get a real tight fit so there was no fore or aft nor side to side movement of the action at all. I found that shimming the action with a bit of tin on both sides really tightened up things well. The plates are held in place with the stiffener screw so it’s an easy fit. It seems to help with repeatability.

Barrel Strut: $80 - Accu-Strut or $105 Mo-Rod, both barrel struts clamp to barrel and gas block to both dampen barrel harmonics and aide barrel cooling. Developed for pencil barreled where they do a lot of good but also help a bit on the new 58X series Minis. Both single and double clamp versions are available. Double clamps give the most rigidity and is best for pencil barreled versions. Single clamp looks cool and mimics the M14 look.

Trigger Job: $55-$65 - Trigger Group job where the first stage is shortened and second stage is lightened. Just like a precision trigger on an AR, it really helps your precision shooting and if you want small groups, it's money well spent. Not needed for plinking but really helps decrease your group size.

Ruger Brand 20rd Magazines: $26-$28 on sale - Yes they are a bit more,however, they are durable and extremely reliable. Well worth the extra few bucks over the aftermarket versions because they flat work.

Of note for irons shooters. Even though Ruger advertises that the Minis have a 'normal' 13.5" LOP, I found that the 'Heel to Aperture' distance (top of the buttstock to the rear sight aperture) on the current model Mini Ranch Rifles measures 15.5". This is as opposed to a 14" Heel to Aperture distance on M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and M14/M1As.

I found that this caused me to strain my neck forward trying to gain the same sight picture I am use to with the other platforms. As I have all three other platforms, plus more 'irons' rifles with the same 14" distance, I found the stock Mini rear sight awkward to use.

Adding the Tech Sight's great Mini200 rear sight does help a bit as it mounts such that the aperture is moved back .5" giving one a 15" Heel to Aperture distance. While a bit better, it still didn't feel right to me so I removed the buttpad and cut down the birch stock 1", reattached the buttpad, and sanded it down to meet the new buttstock profile.

This made a significant difference for me in that 1, I'm able to hold a natural sight picture with the rear sight, and 2, with my eye closer to the rear aperture, the use of a smaller aperture helps increase the DoF giving me a clearer view of the front sight and target; something us more 'seasoned' shooter need. Further, I don’t notice the shorter LOP as I’m up tight on the sights and action and it just works better.

My Mini with his Namesake:

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've never seen a 584 series yet.  Didn't know that they were being produced.  How new is it?
View Quote
Derp, mah bad. 184xxx  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top