Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2016 2:21:14 PM EDT
So, the Ruger SR556 takedown is a pretty cool rifle, especially with the 300 Blackout barrel. It got me to thinking how much cooler a take down SR762 would be with all the .308 based alternate caliber barrels they could make available. I did a little google searching but didn't turn anything up. I have to believe Ruger would see the dollar signs and produce it. Anyone have a good rumor to spread?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you fill out the "Tell the CEO" form on ruger.com?

I have done that a few times about bringing back the P89, the pistol caliber carbines and a few other things. Supposedly they read them all.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
No, but I will.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
All the distributors are out of stock of SR-762s.  My LGS has been looking for one for me for a week or two, and he said when I stopped by today that Ruger usually does pretty frequent runs of these but they have been scarce for a while.  He wondered if a takedown version was in the works.

Just speculation on his part, but I hope so.  It would be pretty great to be able to switch between 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor in  a few seconds, possibly with different barrel lengths.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I emailed Ruger after not getting an answer from the dealer I am going thru, here is my email to them;

"Hello, I was wondering the production status of the SR762? I have had one on order at a LE dealer since about the middle of July and was wondering if these rifles are in production or scheduled for production soon. Thanks."

and their response;

"Dear Ruger Customer:

Thank you for your inquiry.  This model is being produced and shipping to our distributors. Ask your dealer to contact their Ruger distributor for further information.

Thank You,

Ruger Customer Service"

and my response to them;

"Thank you for your response.

I did reach out to the law enforcement dealer and according to them when they asked they couldn’t get an answer as to when this model would be shipping.

That is why I reached out to Ruger directly as I have had one on order from July and no one has been able to give me an answer on a timeline."

A whole lot of run around.

ETA: Just got off the phone with Ruger it's an 8 to 9 month back order on the SR762. If you want one now, your gonna have to pay because the ones in stock aren't cheap if you can find them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Shock I got a call from the LE Dealer I ordered one thru and it came it.

I think Ruger is just saying 8-9 months so they don't get people disappointed.

Now I need a variable scope and mount I already have QD sling loops, a QD mount for the front (rotation limited top rail mount that hangs over the side), a VTAC sling and swapped out the stock to a Bravo SOPMOD because the QD holes in the Magpul are not rotation limited.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shock I got a call from the LE Dealer I ordered one thru and it came it.

I think Ruger is just saying 8-9 months so they don't get people disappointed.

Now I need a variable scope and mount I already have QD sling loops, a QD mount for the front (rotation limited top rail mount that hangs over the side), a VTAC sling and swapped out the stock to a Bravo SOPMOD because the QD holes in the Magpul are not rotation limited.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/machinegunseabee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5EB75406-333C-495F-AC39-25B0489E2535_zpsjh2ppcj9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/machinegunseabee/Mobile%20Uploads/5EB75406-333C-495F-AC39-25B0489E2535_zpsjh2ppcj9.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice rifle!  How much did you pay?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice rifle!  How much did you pay?
View Quote

A hair over $1800 including taxes and background. It's a nice rifle and the first factory assembled AR style rifle I have ever purchased. All my 5.56 rifles have been cobbled together from lowers, uppers and parts kits.

Next step is a scope and mount, but in the meantime if I can swing some .308 I want to hit up a decent 100-300 yard range to see what I can get with irons.

Ultimately I want to get a AAC SDN6 for it.

As far as a takedown version I don't know if they would, it can be done we know this but the real question for Ruger would be sales projections. If it looks like it would fall flat or if they did they would most likely keep the standard on the product lineup for a while to see how the takedown sold. If sales were good maybe they would drop the standard 762 from the lineup.

One thing I have to say is all the Ruger firearms I have owned thus far have been over built, durable and very reliable and I suspect this one will be as well. Next on the block besides the scope and finishing my 9mm SBR is a Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp 3".
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Great rifle! How's the trigger? The SDN-6 is the least accurate 30 cal suppressor I own. If you want to maintain tight groups I suggest something from SilencerCo, Dead Air, Thunderbeast, or Griffin to name a few. Many will defend the AAC 51 tooth mount but every other can I own or have shot locks up tighter than my SDN-6. At a minimum if you are set on AAC at least step up to the SR-7 with the new 90 tooth mount (which is also a taper mount).
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The rifle comes with a two stage trigger, I believe its the same as the aftermarket one they sell. Supposedly it breaks at 4.5 lbs but I don't have a pull weight so I can't tell for sure.

Noted on the SR7.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Makes me miss mine....

Although, unless Ruger changed buffer weights, I'd recommend a heavier buffer for suppressed use. Even with the adjustable gas I had some noticeable recoil with the Cyclone.

It was heavy, but as a whole, the rifle felt "right", if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an SR762 that I bought new a few years ago. I put a Magpul stock on mine. The trigger is the only thing bad about these rifles. I installed a Geissele SSA-E on mine. It is a great rifle now. Sadly, I don't get to shoot it very often. I really should sell it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top