Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2017 8:22:07 PM EDT
So I have my .308 12.5" SBR torn apart to change handguard and muzzle brake and had a question about the barrel.  The current barrel is a 12.5" 416SS mid-length gas CMMG barrel.  I see Ballistic Advantage sells a 4150 12.5" with a carbine gas length.  Would the BA barrel with carbine gas be better all around?  I do have an SLR adjustable gas block on there if makes a difference and the rifle will be primarily shot suppressed.  Before the adjustable gas block the rifle did cycle too fast and caused malfunctions when suppressed.  Another issue I have and hoping the adjustable gas block will help is it was constantly breaking the bolt catch.  I'm asking because if the BA barrel would be better now is my time to swap since it's torn down.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#1]
If anything the carbine-gas barrel will cause even more rapid cycling, depending on its port size of course. If you already have your system pretty dialed-in, there's no reason to buy a new barrel just for a shorter gas system.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the CMMG 12.5" .308 barrel and SLR Sentry 7 gas block as well. I switched my standard length buffer tube, .308 spring, and .308 shorty buffer with a VLTOR tube, Sprinco Orange spring, and a PWS H4 standard length buffer. It has slowed the speed of the bolt for sure. I need to do some additional testing but the current setup is much more reliable than the previous setup. The Sentry 7 is still dialed down as it was before.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered the BA 12.5" barrel with carbine length gas and I also ordered the Lantac Enhanced BCG.  We'll see how that combo works.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I also have a12.5” 308 and besides all the mods you did another one that helped mine the most was an expanded gas tube from I bought from Midway.  That slowed my system down tremendously.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Your bolt catch is breaking because the bolt is traveling too far rearward thus giving it a longer run into the bolt catch when the rifle runs empty. Superior Shooting Systems 308 spring cut to just allow the catch to clear the bolt will fix this..
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your bolt catch is breaking because the bolt is traveling too far rearward thus giving it a longer run into the bolt catch when the rifle runs empty. Superior Shooting Systems 308 spring cut to just allow the catch to clear the bolt will fix this..
View Quote
May have to try one.  I did order a bolt catch made from S7 tool steel from V Seven.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
308 SBR's are fun, but they are loud . Suppressors will be your friend.

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 12.5" with Rainier barrel. Prior to the adjustable gas block i broke a bolt catch and also somehow broke a piece of the locking lug off the bolt so it wouldn't feed a round. The bolt was traveling sooo fast I dont even think it was ejecting the case (if i remember correctly) the recoil was also hell.  I decided to go with SLR adjustable and the JP silent capture spring with the additional spring pack. I think im running the middle stiffness spring and the rifle runs like a sewing machine!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 12.5" with Rainier barrel. Prior to the adjustable gas block i broke a bolt catch and also somehow broke a piece of the locking lug off the bolt so it wouldn't feed a round. The bolt was traveling sooo fast I dont even think it was ejecting the case (if i remember correctly) the recoil was also hell.  I decided to go with SLR adjustable and the JP silent capture spring with the additional spring pack. I think im running the middle stiffness spring and the rifle runs like a sewing machine!
View Quote
I just ordered the JP silent capture spring H2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top