Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2017 8:58:03 PM EDT
After seeing some of the incredible deals out there and learning a little more about the .300 BLK round, I couldn't resist building a clone.

I have an Octane9 HD and have a Griffin Paladin in jail, both are 7.5" long so the size will be the same, but for now I'll only shoot subs.

Build List:
Aero FDE M4E1 Gen2 Enhanced upper w/ 9" MLOK rail $195
Ballistic Advantage 8" 1:7 .300blk barrel $110
Aero FDE lower $70 (incl $15 shipping)
Aero gas block $20
Spike's pistol gas tube, black $15
AIM NiB BCG $99
MOE SL grip $18
Magpul type 1 covers $11
PSA LPK $40
BCM Mod4 CH $45
Griffin Paladin taper mount brake free after Trump bucks rebate
Griffin Flash can $90 (allow shooting unsuppressed)
SB Tactical PDW brace $190
Subtotal $813 (minus optic & suppressor)

My big question was the stock...
SB Tac PDW pistol brace $240 (closest non NFA to a HB, 6.75" collapsed) I went this route for convenience and am quite happy with it!
LWRCi UCIW $88 (not PDW style, NFA +$250, cheap, definitely compact 6" collapsed)
BAD Vert PDW stock $350 (seems damn near perfect, a little pricey, NFA +$250, 4.75" collapsed)

The AAC Honey badger is 24" collapsed, the above with SBPDW and 7.5" suppressor is 29.6". 2" of that is due to the 8" vs 6" barrel and an additional 2" could be shaved off by going with the BAD Vert. Even at 29" it's still pretty darn compact considering my CZ Scorpion Evo3 SBR is 24" w/o suppressor.

I can't wait to get her out to the range to put a few mags threw it!
Attachment Attached File

Quick comparison shot: 14.5" pinned, HB Clone, CZ Scorpion SBR.
Attachment Attached File

Only a few inches shorter than the 14.5" but this is suppressor vs none.
OAL w/o suppressor the HB clone is 3/4" shorter than the Scorpion. I have an MI linear comp that fits flush with the handguard if shooting unsuppressed until I get the flash can.

Mods, If this is better posted somewhere else, feel free to move but I thought it fit best here given the inspiration of the build.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
First, i'm not able to see the comparison photo. It may be a problem on my end but you may try logging out to verify you can still see it.

Second, it sounds like your lower is not registered as an SBR - correct?

Third, what do you mean by NFA +$250? Are you saying that's what registering the lower will cost you?

With all of the work you've done I vote for the BAD stock. It is the shortest and will get you the closest to your Honey Badger goal. Sounds like you have a pretty cool setup.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First, i'm not able to see the comparison photo. It may be a problem on my end but you may try logging out to verify you can still see it.

Second, it sounds like your lower is not registered as an SBR - correct?

Third, what do you mean by NFA +$250? Are you saying that's what registering the lower will cost you?

With all of the work you've done I vote for the BAD stock. It is the shortest and will get you the closest to your Honey Badger goal. Sounds like you have a pretty cool setup.
View Quote
I just re-hosted the pics here so hopefully that allows you to see them now. Seemed fine on my phone and PC but who knows.

Correct, it is not registered (yet?). "NFA +$250" refers to the fact that it would cost me $200 in tax stamp plus $50 to get the lower engraved.

If this "pistol" shoots as well as it feels, I'll end up SBR'ing it and choosing either the BAD PDW stock or the rumored Honey Badger stand alone stock. I'm also keeping a casual eye out for a 6" or shorter .30 cal can that could be dedicated to this gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, the pics are good! As far as the short can possibilities look at the SilencerCo Omega. Using a direct thread mount and a flat cap it is only 6.09" long and is on the light side of most .30 caliber cans. Also, if you deselect the ASR mount the price is cheaper at dealers like Capitol Armory.

I'd get that Form 1 in the mail! You've put a lot of effort into making it perfect, you won't be satisfied until it's wearing a real stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe the Troy PDW stock is the shortest out there and if you want to shave a lot off the other end check out the new dead air sandman k. I'm  starting a very similar build. Already have my stamp and lower but that's about  it so far
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I believe the Troy PDW stock is the shortest out there and if you want to shave a lot off the other end check out the new dead air sandman k. I'm  starting a very similar build. Already have my stamp and lower but that's about  it so far
View Quote
I believe you are correct, the Troy is the shortest I've seen at 4" but also one of the heaviest at 29oz vs 19oz of the BAD VERT. It also uses a proprietary carrier, looks to have poor cheekweld, and worst of all is made by Troy. I wouldn't use their product if it was free. They've screwed over the community repeatedly and I've personally had a terrible experience with them.

The Sandman K is the shortest can I've seen as well, but there are no reviews out there for it, no independent testing or comparisons done, and I'd prefer direct thread if not a Griffin taper mount to match my Griffin Paladin. For these reasons, Ive been toying with the idea of doing a 5-5.5" Form 1 can, but just playing around on paper right now. Since my handguard is 1.72" ID I could even go to a 1.625" OD suppressor to maximize internal volume.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I believe you are correct, the Troy is the shortest I've seen at 4" but also one of the heaviest at 29oz vs 19oz of the BAD VERT. It also uses a proprietary carrier, looks to have poor cheekweld, and worst of all is made by Troy. I wouldn't use their product if it was free. They've screwed over the community repeatedly and I've personally had a terrible experience with them.

The Sandman K is the shortest can I've seen as well, but there are no reviews out there for it, no independent testing or comparisons done, and I'd prefer direct thread if not a Griffin taper mount to match my Griffin Paladin. For these reasons, Ive been toying with the idea of doing a 5-5.5" Form 1 can, but just playing around on paper right now. Since my handguard is 1.72" ID I could even go to a 1.625" OD suppressor to maximize internal volume.
View Quote
You're right on the Troy being on the heavy side. I'm not familiar with any of the screwing over from Troy you mention. I don't own any of their products but have pretty much settled on their PDW stock for my build. I'll have to look up the things you're talking about.

A form one can would be cool but a little out of my skill set. Another tiny can you could look at if you want direct thread is the silencerco omega 9k. It's rated for sub and super 300blk. Military arms channel has a video of it on a 300blk, it doesn't sound bad for such a small can, I have one but have never used it on a 300blk though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
looks good! I'm a fan of the Honey Badger and yours seems close enough at half the price. I already have the SBR lower but when I tries a NEA stock (like troy) it was stupid heavy. Really want one of the LWRC super shorties, seems like a good mix of size/price/weight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're right on the Troy being on the heavy side. I'm not familiar with any of the screwing over from Troy you mention. I don't own any of their products but have pretty much settled on their PDW stock for my build. I'll have to look up the things you're talking about.

A form one can would be cool but a little out of my skill set. Another tiny can you could look at if you want direct thread is the silencerco omega 9k. It's rated for sub and super 300blk. Military arms channel has a video of it on a 300blk, it doesn't sound bad for such a small can, I have one but have never used it on a 300blk though.
View Quote
I feel pretty stupid... I knew about the Omega 9K but completely forgot about it and was only looking at factory 30cal cans thinking none would do well with supers. The 9k is exactly what I had in mind for a form 1 but without the compromises I was going to make. Thanks! Now that's added to the list.

The Troy stuff is centered around Black Friday deals 2 years in a row plus their part in pulling rifles out of Dick's after Newtown. But feel free to google for details.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Wolf 9SD might be a better option but I don't know if it is rated for supersonic 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wolf 9SD might be a better option but I don't know if it is rated for supersonic 300 blackout.
View Quote
per DA's site it is rated for supers. Very interesting thought a little pricey for my blood.

https://deadairsilencers.com/products/wolf-9sd/
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the sandman S on my super short 300, I will probably move over to the sandman K when the stamp comes. Using a full rated 30 cal can will allow you to shoot supers when you want. I dont see much use to a 300 BO that will only shoot subs but thats just me.

OR you can just get the real Honey Badger!

Just picked up the upper while i wait for the stamp. Running a registered lower & an octane 45 for now.

Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Politics aside, I really like the short tomahawk. Very light and very short.  Probably not the most durable option and you have the funky BCG.

Mine is 24.2" collapsed with 6.25" barrel and SDN6

Link Posted: 10/31/2017 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Politics aside, I really like the short tomahawk. Very light and very short.  Probably not the most durable option and you have the funky BCG.

Mine is 24.2" collapsed with 6.25" barrel and SDN6

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s382/jking1881/IMG_2914.jpg
View Quote
looks familiar-ish 
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't afford a collapsible stock for mine but I have an 8 inch 300 blackout that I really enjoy.  I have been wanting to get my ar15 short barreled but the extra 200 dollars makes me question the need because the shockwave is not so bad.  I have 3 upper receivers and 2 lower receivers and it seems crazy to pay 200 dollars plus how ever much those cooler stocks cost.  My dad also said the way we used to do ATF stuff has changed so if I want to get an SBR it should be on my own instead of with the family I guess I will stick with what I have for now and enjoy the pictures of your guns.  Also did you see the new hornady bullets that are coming out?
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Well my dad had me as part of the trust so I could use his items before and he gave me a suppressor which is on the trust.  I guess he meant in the future it would be better for me to get an item on my own rather than part of the family not sure how much changes otherwise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top