Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2017 10:05:46 AM EDT
Sent off my F1 on a Anderson Lower back in Feb. Had the lower engraved by a guy about 1 Hr from me. I just realized the other day that the lower says Multi and not 5.56/223.

Should I have the lower engraved with the caliber (5.56)? It will be wearing a 10.5" barrel with standard carbine handguard, No rail. So the caliber would be visible on the on barrel.

I also had 2 other stripped lowers engraved as well and the plan is to do one of them as a dedicated 22 Sbr. Should I have the 22Lr caliber engraved on it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no law that requires that the proper caliber be engraved in an AR lower. 

In my case, my SBR'd lowers house both 5.56 and 300B, so "multi" is the most appropriate designation.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sent off my F1 on a Anderson Lower back in Feb. Had the lower engraved by a guy about 1 Hr from me. I just realized the other day that the lower says Multi and not 5.56/223.

Should I have the lower engraved with the caliber (5.56)? It will be wearing a 10.5" barrel with standard carbine handguard, No rail. So the caliber would be visible on the on barrel.

I also had 2 other stripped lowers engraved as well and the plan is to do one of them as a dedicated 22 Sbr. Should I have the 22Lr caliber engraved on it?
View Quote

If the caliber is visible on the barrel you'd be good.

Quoted:
There is no law that requires that the proper caliber be engraved in an AR lower. 

In my case, my SBR'd lowers house both 5.56 and 300B, so "multi" is the most appropriate designation.
View Quote
Yea but there is a law that the caliber be engraved somewhere on an SBR.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
It is in fact required by law for an NFA firearm, even one "made" by an individual.

It does not have to be on the receiver, though - the law allows for it to be marked on the "frame, receiver or barrel".

Further, the caliber can be changed after the firearm is first made, and there is no law requiring the markings to be changed to reflect the new caliber - it just has to be on there in the caliber in which the firearm was first made.

In the case of an AR lower marked "Multi", ATF will not approve a form marked with that for caliber, though they used to allow it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It is in fact required by law for an NFA firearm, even one "made" by an individual.

It does not have to be on the receiver, though - the law allows for it to be marked on the "frame, receiver or barrel".

Further, the caliber can be changed after the firearm is first made, and there is no law requiring the markings to be changed to reflect the new caliber - it just has to be on there in the caliber in which the firearm was first made.

In the case of an AR lower marked "Multi", ATF will not approve a form marked with that for caliber, though they used to allow it.
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok so my 10.5" 556 is good to go.

On the 22 sbr I will be building it will have a 4" barrel. Not sure if CMMG markes their barrels but if it is marked under the rail will that be ok? The rail would be easily removable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok so my 10.5" 556 is good to go.

On the 22 sbr I will be building it will have a 4" barrel. Not sure if CMMG markes their barrels but if it is marked under the rail will that be ok? The rail would be easily removable.
View Quote
My understanding is that the required markings must be conspicuous:

"conspicuous" means that all required markings
must be placed in such a manner as to be wholly unobstructed from plain
view.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]
If they're coming after you for your caliber marking not being conspicuous enough- you've got bigger problems.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I am assuming that the depth requirement applies to the caliber marking as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If they're coming after you for your caliber marking not being conspicuous enough- you've got bigger problems.
View Quote
This is also correct.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All necessary markings have the .003" minimum depth requirement. Only the SN has the additional minimum 1/16" size requirement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am assuming that the depth requirement applies to the caliber marking as well.
All necessary markings have the .003" minimum depth requirement. Only the SN has the additional minimum 1/16" size requirement.
Although,  I hear that they have no way or standard to measure depth.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#13]
If marking anything for caliber, Mark the upper.
Marking the lower only adds confusion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If marking anything for caliber, Mark the upper.
Marking the lower only adds confusion.
View Quote
I think I will wait and see if the caliber can be seen on the barrel if not I will mark the upper.

Any suggestions on engravers that I can mail a stripped upper receiver too?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think I will wait and see if the caliber can be seen on the barrel if not I will mark the upper.

Any suggestions on engravers that I can mail a stripped upper receiver too?
View Quote
I like and use Ident Marking Service in Rockwall, Tx.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#17]
As my .300 BO upper does not have the caliber marking on the barrel visible and the lower is "multi", I went ahead and had the engraver mark the lower ".300" (which is what the Stamp form has).  The maker info is above the fcg holes and the caliber under the standard info on the magwell.  Looks great.

Yes, I plan to use it for MANY other calibers and I won't worry about that marking in the least.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top