Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 9:08:07 PM EDT
Do I get the regular BFH or the ELW barrel?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I did a hammer forged because I use mine hard while teaching classes. I plan on doing an extreme light weight build soon though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do I get the regular BFH or the ELW barrel?
View Quote

I went ELW because 99% of the time I want less weight. I've taken that gun to 600y, so any comments about "but muh barrel stiffness" are BS.

If I was shooting auto, I'd want a heavy barrel. I'm happy with the ELW.

FWIW, paired it the the SLR block, some sort of control is a must for dedicated suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
ELW is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have their 11.5 ELW-F that has a Sandman S hanging off of it. Very accurate barrel and love the weight.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have their 11.5 ELW-F that has a Sandman S hanging off of it. Very accurate barrel and love the weight.
View Quote
Any major POI shift?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Dedicated suppressed BCM?

That's gonna be one gassy bitch.

You might want to look into an adjustable block or this:

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/customtune-gas-port/#!/BRT-CustomTune-Gas-Port-HD-Kit/p/76704127/category=6464009
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/customtune-gas-port/#!/BRT-CustomTune-Gas-Port-HD-Kit/p/76704127/category=6464009
View Quote
Well thats interesting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have this exact same combo (BCM ELW upper with Sandma S) and it's been great.  If I was building another 556 sbr today I would go BCM ELW 11.5 w/ Sandman S no question.  The comment above about it being gassy I will tell you from my personal experiance no problem at all with the Sandman now it may be with other suppressors but the Sandman is great at handling back pressure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the reg bfh, but the elw was just coming out and I hadn't seen much about them.  

My 16" was a elw and it ran great.

You won't be unhappy with either option.

I'd recommend getting an adj block though.

I use SLR adj blocks, use whatever fits your need.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went with the reg bfh, but the elw was just coming out and I hadn't seen much about them.  

View Quote
Do they cause a problem with the BCM barrels? Since there is no shoulder? Or is it just like any other barrel...just line that crap up?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do they cause a problem with the BCM barrels? Since there is no shoulder? Or is it just like any other barrel...just line that crap up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just line up the set screws, tighten and you're ready to roll.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have this exact same combo (BCM ELW upper with Sandma S) and it's been great.  If I was building another 556 sbr today I would go BCM ELW 11.5 w/ Sandman S no question.  The comment above about it being gassy I will tell you from my personal experiance no problem at all with the Sandman now it may be with other suppressors but the Sandman is great at handling back pressure.
View Quote
Trust me when I say that a properly tuned gas port, regardless of your Sandman S, makes a huge difference in how the rifle feels and functions.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Trust me when I say that a properly tuned gas port, regardless of your Sandman S, makes a huge difference in how the rifle feels and functions.
View Quote
Maybe you got a bad barrel so you may want to have your gas port diameter checked or let a smith look at it if you can't figure it out.  To small and a adjustibe gas block isn't going to matter (gotta drill) now if it's to big you got a problem and you may benifit from an adjustible gas block.  

But like I said earllier from my personal experiance with the BCM ELW barrel and Sandman S no problem at all with back pressure or excessive gas.  So for sbr use I wouldn't hesitate to recomend ELW unless your plan on heavy rates of fire then the BFH would be the pick of the two.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Any major POI shift?
View Quote
Nothing major. Has been a great combo for me.
FWIW I have/had Noveske, KAC, Colt, BA barreled, Faxon, Spikes, Anderson, LWRC, and a few others.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or not. Maybe he wants to be able to run it without the can too. Maybe he wants his rifle to eat every kind of ammo under the sun. Maybe he wants his rifle to be able to run in all conditions.

Adjustable gas block is not necessary.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or not. Maybe he wants to be able to run it without the can too. Maybe he wants his rifle to eat every kind of ammo under the sun. Maybe he wants his rifle to be able to run in all conditions.

View Quote
They are not necessary, but they are nice.

I sold my bcm block's for $55, bought slr's for ~$110. Worth every penny
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
this is the correct answer , an a5 buffer system will also be beneficial.

if this is going to be 100% suppressed i would look at the brt gas port inserts , your going to want a pretty tiny gas port.

an adjustable gas block will also work but in a dedicated suppressed set up it's just one more part that can fail and is not needed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
isn't the title of the thread "dedicated suppressed bcm 11.5"
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with a elw barrel on my BCM SBR 11.5" and omega combo.  It is accurate enough for what I'm using it for: HD and SD
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes guys I want to keep this gun suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine has been totally suppressed and have no issues with it.  I do have a slr adjustable gas block on it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mine has been totally suppressed and have no issues with it.  I do have a slr adjustable gas block on it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404018/2017-03-12-10-164125.jpg
View Quote
Do you run the ELW barrel?

That requires a SLR 6 right?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
The ELW takes the SLR 6.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

isn't the title of the thread "dedicated suppressed bcm 11.5"
View Quote
That's why I put the maybe's, not to be a dick.
Nothing ever stays as planned in my experience. I planned on dedicated but then I find myself shooting without cans all the time.
Keeping the options open for the OP.
Older pic but my only one
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The ELW takes the SLR 6.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Maybe you got a bad barrel so you may want to have your gas port diameter checked or let a smith look at it if you can't figure it out.  To small and a adjustibe gas block isn't going to matter (gotta drill) now if it's to big you got a problem and you may benifit from an adjustible gas block.  

But like I said earllier from my personal experiance with the BCM ELW barrel and Sandman S no problem at all with back pressure or excessive gas.  So for sbr use I wouldn't hesitate to recomend ELW unless your plan on heavy rates of fire then the BFH would be the pick of the two.

https://i.imgur.com/GdZBRAK.jpg
View Quote
False.

For a dedicated 11.5" running 5.56, a GP diameter of around 0.060 would be optimal.

Of course, if you wanted to run a larger spectrum of ammo, a slightly larger port around 0.065 would be better.

BCM 11.5" is around 0.073
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe you should send yours back to BCM they may be able to swap with you.  They have been great for me and no problems.  Good luck man sounds like you've had a lot of trouble with your builds.  Keep trying you'll get it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sorry it has taken me a while to answer this but yes it is a elw barrel with a sentry 6 gas block.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sorry it has taken me a while to answer this but yes it is a elw barrel with a sentry 6 gas block.
View Quote
Just gotta send in the Form 1
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maybe you should send yours back to BCM they may be able to swap with you.  They have been great for me and no problems.  Good luck man sounds like you've had a lot of trouble with your builds.  Keep trying you'll get it.
View Quote
No need to get defensive.

One would have to shoot an appropriately ported dedicated suppressed rifle to appreciate the difference.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a BCM BFH 11.5” with a Rugged Razor 7.62, and I was expecting gas in the face.

I got nothing. It is no different than shooting without the can. Not even a splatter on my safety glasses.

I have the same Upper with their LW Barrel, but I never purchased a second mount, so I haven’t put it on there yet to test.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I went with the ELW and SLR AGB.  Runs great and a real soft shooter.

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No need to get defensive.

One would have to shoot an appropriately ported dedicated suppressed rifle to appreciate the difference.
View Quote
Its true that a properly sized or restricted gas port, with the gas set up or adjusted for function with the specific ammo selected and set up for dedicated suppressor use, will produce the smoothest shooting rifle with the least perceived recoil.

But even a rifle with gas set up as a compromise to shoot suppressed and unsuppressed will shoot smoother and with less perceived recoil than a rifle with an unrestricted factory port. Factory port sizes are universally over large to accommodate rifle owners who shoot crappy ammo and never clean their rifles, or at least actions.

FWIW, I like that BRT option, though I have been using SLR blocks.

JPK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top