Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 10:50:52 AM EDT
A long time ago I decided to build an SBR and went with the shortest length I could get at the time, a CMMG 7.3" 5.56 upper.

It functioned flawlessly, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought I should have gone a different route.  Shooting it wasn't too bad, but standing nearby when someone else shot it was borderline abusive, even with ear plugs under my earmuffs.  Another problem was that I couldn't find a suppressor with a warranty for that short of a barrel in 5.56.  It was more of a plinker than anything else, so ballistics weren't a huge concern, but were always in the back of my mind.

I considered pistol calibers, other barrel lengths, etc.  I eventually had the 5.56 barrel swapped out with an 8" .300 Blackout barrel and I'm really happy with the rifle as it is now.  I bought a Specwar 762 for it in the spring (in jail right down the road from me...) and found out that SilencerCo's warranty applies to 5.56 barrels down to 7".

So as I sit here looking at the old barrel (picture below that I took of it after it was removed), I'm trying to decide my best option.  Right now I'm considering:

A) Build a new upper around it and use the Specwar 762 on it.

B) Build a dedicated .22 upper with it and buy a rimfire suppressor.

C) Sell/trade for a 12.5" barrel.

I'm looking for anyone who has had experience with some of the options (or other options I haven't yet considered).  Would option A be practical at all?  I've heard the gun will beat itself to death with a suppressor on that short of a barrel in 5.56.  Anyone do this?

For option B, is the twist on a CMMG 5.56 barrel OK for .22, or would it be better to sell/trade for a different barrel if I want to go rimfire?

Thanks in advance!

Pic of the barrel:

Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I run a 7.5" Adams arms upper with saker 5.56.  I like it a lot but it is a piston.  I would probably just sell the barrel and put that toward a 4.5" cmmg .22 barrel.  I love that setup if you have a can.  No .22 can and I'd build that up with some cheap components and put a .22 conversion in it.  You can still run the 5.56 if you want.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#2]
what is the twist on the barrel?

do you own or plan to buy a rimfire can?

although your can may be rated for a 7" can, it's still going to come at the cost of accelerated erosion, which i'd be suprised if erosion is covered?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

although your can may be rated for a 7" can, it's still going to come at the cost of accelerated erosion, which i'd be suprised if erosion is covered?
View Quote
The best I can find, it looks like twist is 1 in 7.

I don't have a rimfire can, but plan on getting one.  Probably start looking for one of those in about 3 or 4 months.

All I know about the Specwar 762 and 7" barrels is what is on their list of barrel length restrictions.

I suppose I should contact them for more specifics just to be certain.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't have a rimfire can, but plan on getting one.  Probably start looking for one of those in about 3 or 4 months.

All I know about the Specwar 762 and 7" barrels is what is on their list of barrel length restrictions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dead air doesn't have a minimum for their sandman series.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top