Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2017 5:43:53 PM EDT
Currently I have the AAC brakeout on an 11.5 inch barrel. I quickly learned brakes on an SBR are no fun for anyone but the shooter. I bought a blast shield from Weapon Outfitters, and have been using that ever since. However, that pretty much eliminates the purpose of a muzzle brake. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get the AAC Blackout instead? Right now I have a KX3 sitting in the safe, but am mulling over the idea of a blackout instead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Not unless you have a can to put on it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel a flash hider is more warranted than a brake, the re-directs also have their place. as for buying a AAC. unless you own or plan to own one of their suppressors then I think it's a waste. there are other flash hiders on the market that are just as competitive.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Currently I have the AAC brakeout on an 11.5 inch barrel. I quickly learned brakes on an SBR are no fun for anyone but the shooter. I bought a blast shield from Weapon Outfitters, and have been using that ever since. However, that pretty much eliminates the purpose of a muzzle brake. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get the AAC Blackout instead? Right now I have a KX3 sitting in the safe, but am mulling over the idea of a blackout instead.
View Quote

Do what YOU want to do. Honestly you set up your rifle for you and not because Joe Blow next to you will get annoyed. We all have SBRs set up for those special moments. When those moments come, who cares what people will think. You have to fight.
With that said, I've shot a 3 day carbine class sandwiched between brakes and I was fine. I use brakes on my SBRs as well. That's how I roll.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Why are you screwing around with AAC mounts if you don't have a can? Don't switch to their flash hider unless you want to hear *piiiiiiiiiiing* with every shot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're not planning on getting a can, I'd get an EFAB if you want good hybrid performance.  If you want awesome flash suppression and a little less recoil reduction but good compensation, I'd get a Warcomp-- I have two.  They don't ping to any notable degree like the SF 3P FH does, and they're super mild blast-wise.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
the wilson combat Accu-Tac is a great flash hider for the price....no crush washer or anything needed...doesnt ring...

works great on my stuff.

Otherwise the "best" probably is the be meyers one..but it rings last time i checked
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
i have an aac brake on my 11.5".  it does help with muzzle rise but the concussion is brutal for anyone beside you.  if i'm shooting with others or indoors i have a can to screw on though.

the blackout is a fine muzzle device if you still want to be able to use your blastout.  i run a blackout on my 12.5" 308 and it does a nice job on flash suppression. 

if your looking for a muzzle device to run without your blastout i would go with a regular a2 flash hider , they're cheap and do a pretty good job.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Surefire brake on 10.5 = huge, concussive, loud, flamethrower

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]
At indoor ranges my 10.5" with brake rattles my teeth. It literally hurts to shoot it unsuppressed...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have aac brakes on most of my guns because I have two aac cans I run. But they are loud on my sbr. I put a PA efab brake on my 11.5 inch upper that I run full auto. The efab is pricy but awesome. Controls recoil as much as my aac brake but with much less blast. Check them out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have brakes on all my SBRs. If I need to worry about other shooters or myself, I just screw on the silencer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
My 11.5” shoots very well with an A2 flash hider. 
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm using a PWS FSC. It's not particularly loud and is devoid of flames. It'll throw sparks, but I've yet to see the light show displayed by other devices.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
My last trip to the (indoor) range, buddy had his FA HK51. Fuddy guy a couple lanes down was making snide comments. Shortly thereafter, buddy busts out his FA M16 223 with 10.5 barrel and AAC Brakeout and starts loading mags. Fuddy guy asks what caliber it is. "223". "Oh," says fuddy guy. "Well at least that's a little more sensible". Buddy looks at me with a great big smile and proceeds to do a mag dump, sending flame across the lanes on either side. Fuddy guy left shortly thereafter. Buddy THEN attached his can.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

How does the shield eliminate the purpose of the brake?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At indoor ranges my 10.5" with brake rattles my teeth. It literally hurts to shoot it unsuppressed...
View Quote
I was shooting my 10.5 with brake and AAC Mini-4 in the woods a couple of days ago.  Shot some suppressed and unsuppressed.  When I was about to shoot without the suppressor I pulled my ear pro back on one side to talk to someone real quick.  Didn't remember to put it back over that ear until after I'd fired a round .

Felt like someone slapped me upside the head and stabbed me in the ear with a pencil at the same time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top