Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 8:52:25 PM EDT
I'm toying with the idea of building an SBR bolt gun strictly for fun and noise reduction. I'm thinking I'd have to have the barrel cut by adco but im not sure if there is a chassis system with a folding stock that will accommodate this short of a barrel. Any help would be appreciated...
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a fun project!

I'd venture to guess you could possibly have a chassis turned to allow clearance for a suppressor. depends what suppressor your running? if you have a 1.25" can like a surefire ryder ti it would likely work as is as most actions are roughly 1.25" OD and it would be no different than running a bull barrel. so as long as the chassis allows bull barrels it would be a straight drop and go. now if your running a 30 cal can most of those are 1.5"OD or larger that I don't feel could be made to work period. 1.375" cans could possibly be clearanced depending how thick the fore arm is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Good thoughts, I currently have a saker 7.62 so it's 1.5"
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I've also thought about this, I decided if I was going that direction I'd probably just pin a cz527 to 16" instead of dealing with the other various platforms' magazine issues after adding a chassis, and dealing with the sbr process.  

I'd almost even consider an ar upper and a barrel without a gas port plus a side charger or something-I already have a few ar sbr's

Anyway, here are MDT and XLR's responses:

MDT
Q:I am interested in building an SBR in 300bo using a Rem Model 7. What barrel lengths would clear the fore ends of the LSS, LSS-XL, and HS3 while allowing just enough room to mount a suppressor?

A: On the Remington Model 7 chassis ahead of the recoil lug measures:
LSS 8 inches
LSS-XL 11 inches
HS3 11.5 inches

XLR
Q: I am interested in making a Remington model 7 SBR.  What length barrel would just clear the fore end of the element chassis and allow enough clearance to mount a suppressor?

A: I would recommend at least an 11" barrel. The Element hand guard is 10.5" measuring from the recoil lug forward.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, great info
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I've enjoyed this so much it's going off to LRI for a full blue print and rebarrel to see if I can squeeze even more accuracy out of it. Very fun...and very quiet.

Remington 700, .300 Blackout, 10" barrel - SBR
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've enjoyed this so much it's going off to LRI for a full blue print and rebarrel to see if I can squeeze even more accuracy out of it. Very fun...and very quiet.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4398/37053252201_9a399daf38_b.jpg
View Quote

What stock did you end up using?  Any pics.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4398/37053252201_9a399daf38_b.jpg

Would curious to know also and are you selling that barrel in the pic?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm toying with the idea of building an SBR bolt gun strictly for fun and noise reduction.
View Quote

So not exactly what you're asking about, but it still meets your intended purpose, or at least it does for me. I built a Contender SBR in the early 2000s for the same reasons you state. It's silly quiet, and I enjoy shooting it. Folding stocks are available, but I haven't found one that's as comfortable as a solid stock.

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a look here for a chassis for the short barrel stuff... https://mdttac.ca/lss-chassis-system.html
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got two more examples you can look at. 

This one is a Remington 700 in .300 Whisper with a 11.5" Pacnor barrel.  Stock is a McMillan A1-3.  That's about as short as you can go with that one. This one gets a direct thread SWR Omega 30.

This is the Mossberg MVP in 5.56 in the factory stock.  Barrel crown is at about 10.25".  It's around 11.5' with that Griffin comp on there.  I mount an M4SD can to it. This one with the MDT LSS and an 8" barrel would be pretty sweet!

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I've thought about doing this for years. I'd love to take a Tikka T3, SBR it, rebarrel in 8" .300 BLK, drop it in a Whiskey 3 chassis, and put a 300TM or 300SPS on it. I'm just not sure if the whiskey 3 can be milled out to take a 1.5" diameter can.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've thought about doing this for years. I'd love to take a Tikka T3, SBR it, rebarrel in 8" .300 BLK, drop it in a Whiskey 3 chassis, and put a 300TM or 300SPS on it. I'm just not sure if the whiskey 3 can be milled out to take a 1.5" diameter can.
View Quote
I've been thinking the same thing with the Tikka but an MDT lss chassis as it is made for shorter barreled actions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top