Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2017 11:28:21 AM EDT
Building my first AR-15 sbr.  Is the lazer engraving on the receiver ok, or does it need to be cut deeper?

Also, if the barrel says the caliber I don't need it engraved on the receiver right?  How visible does it need to be since most manufactures engrave it on top of the barrel and the handguard goes over it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The minimum engraving depth is 0.003 inches.  That's not much, but I don't think all laser engravings get that deep with a single pass.

The caliber on the barrel is fine, even if under a rail or hand guard. 
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
How visible does the caliber have to be?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The caliber on the barrel is fine, even if under a rail or hand guard.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a laser engraver here that does SBR, same place does engraving on plastic injection molds, it is more than .003" deep.

ETA: Coworker got this done at same time as SBR engraving with laser.

Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
where is "here"?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Laser engraving looks nice and deep.. but... it looks like they forgot some stars on that flag.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
wicked weapons is their gun related side business, I can only find fbook site for it.

http://wickedwelding.com/ is the laser welding and engraving business that my employer deals with daily.

I'm not sure I would have put that flag on my AR, but he was happy with it.

eta: customer chose the flag image not the engraver
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm told it needs to be "conspicuous". Even though my barrel is marked, it was basically  hidden by my handguard. Enough to where you really had to angle it right with perfect lighting and w/o suppressor to see it.

For peace of mind and i'll rather not lose my firearm after waiting for almost a year. I spent the $20 to engrave the side of the barrel where you could easily see the caliber through an MLOK channel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I was looking over in the AR 15 part called "build it yourself"  and they stated that engravers had to have FFL to engrave a lower receiver, is this true?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was looking over in the AR 15 part called "build it yourself"  and they stated that engravers had to have FFL to engrave a lower receiver, is this true?
View Quote
Not to just engrave a lower.  If they receive a lower other than from you handing to them (i.e. shipped to them), that's a different story.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Kind of what I thought, but wasn't sure, thanks for the quick reply!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top