Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2017 5:11:42 PM EDT
I was going to buy a pistol and then submit the form to convert it to an SBR but at this point am I better off buying it already in SBR form and buying it from a dealer since they can use the bar code and I get it a lot faster?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Define "a lot faster"... it will eventually reduce the wait time although that is still quite a way off.

But, as some Chinese dude once said "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." 
View Quote
6 months rather 9-12?  We can use the barcode when if we submit to convert to an SBR can we?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If you buy the pistol, you'll have the pistol (while you wait).

It'll give you time to do all the things that need to be done to it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
nailed it
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

6 months rather 9-12?  We can use the barcode when if we submit to convert to an SBR can we?
View Quote
The wait times are coming down since they're through July's stuff. The barcode will improve times perhaps, but you using one or not will not make a big difference to your actual form.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd buy the pistol  first, you can throw a brace on it the meantime 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
agreed
But something in my is still jonsing for a factory SBR. Not sure this would be the ideal gun though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But something in my is still jonsing for a factory SBR. N
View Quote
If I'm not mistaken, CZ does not have a factory SBR available. I know some dealers such as Capital Amory have assembled some and sell in that configuration.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, CZ does not have a factory SBR available. I know some dealers such as Capital Amory have assembled some and sell in that configuration.
View Quote
That's my understanding as well
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I would much rather have a SBR from the factory or reputable dealer/manufacturer but usually the price is substantially different. If it were withing $100 bucks I would never do a form 1 again. Maybe even $200. That's why I got a factory Sig 556 SBR because at the time I couldn't find any better deals on pistols. Of course afterwards they were everywhere
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would much rather have a SBR from the factory or reputable dealer/manufacturer but usually the price is substantially different. If it were withing $100 bucks I would never do a form 1 again. Maybe even $200. That's why I got a factory Sig 556 SBR because at the time I couldn't find any better deals on pistols. Of course afterwards they were everywhere
View Quote
Aside from engraving, what's the difference between a Form 1 and 4? Still have the same hoops.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Aside from engraving, what's the difference between a Form 1 and 4? Still have the same hoops.
View Quote
Pretty much.

Form 4 is for transferring ownership of an NFA item. 
Form 1 is for making a new NFA item.

Both require a tax paid, background check(s), photos, fingerprints, etc.

The main difference is the engraving when doing a form 1 (since existing NFA items already have the maker/manufacturer's engraving), and of course with a form 4 transfer there are two parties involved, transferor and transferee. 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Honestly, probably just wait times.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:18:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Honestly, probably just wait times.
View Quote
Doubt it. Form 1, you get the pistol (most likely with a ridiculous "stabilizing brace") to use while you wait. Make a single-use trust, get it notorized $5 and engrave "In Guns We Trust" with your location on it. Easy Peasy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd go Form4 before Form1 any day.  Form1's were a PITA.  Seems like different examiners sometimes require different gun specifics on Form1's.  That may have changed now.

My experience is once the Form4 is sent in, its just a matter of waiting.  With Form1's, you wait to hear if there were any "discrepancies" on your Form1, which might require a resubmittal and more waiting.  Plus, Form4 requires no engraving.  On the engraving, I prefer to wait until I know the Form1 is approved before getting it engraved, in the event something happens during the waiting period (you can cancel the Form1 request before its approved, stolen, etc).   Just be careful you don't convert the rifle into the SBR (by adding the stock or a shorter barrel) before you get it engraved.  I suppose "that ride to the engraver" could result in a traffic stop and your converted  SBR with no engraving being found in your car.  Doh!  

See what I mean?  None of that is an issue with a Form4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top