Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 12:29:04 PM EDT
I want to sbr mr ar for an 8.5" 300 blackout upper. If I have a stripped lower that has never been a rifle, can I order the upper while waiting on the stamp?  Or do I need a pistol buffer tube on it?  I have no extra stocks laying around, so it wouldn't be constructive intent, right?  I don't really want a pistol lower right now, because I want to spend my money elsewhere, but I want all the parts ready when the stamp comes in.

Could I have the upper delivered to work, lock it in the filing cabinet and not bring it home until I get approved?  This seems iffy, but would save the price of the lower.

I know I could have someone else order the upper and store it until I can take possession, but I don't want to go that route.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that you can't have a combination of parts that could be used to assemble an illegal or unregistered configuration.

Example, if I have two complete AR-15 rifles, a stripped lower and a short barreled upper the only possible combination of parts would be assembling the the short barreled upper on a non-sbr lower.  Since the stripped lower can't be assembled into a firearm technically.

If I make the stripped lower into a pistol, I now have a legal purpose for the short barreled upper.

Most people go the pistol route and when the form comes back throw on a riffle buffer tube and stock. This is the route I would go personally.

With how cheap lowers are right now, buy a $40 Anderson lower, a pistol build kit from somewhere and enjoy your .300 blackout until the stamp comes back on your lower.

Edit: Someone may have more knowledge than I and I'm not a lawyer so the above isn't legal advice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My understanding is that you can't have a combination of parts that could ONLY be used to assemble an illegal or unregistered configuration.
View Quote
FIFY 

"Constructive intent" isn't a thing. Constructive possession is a legal concept. If ATF wants to charge you, they charge you with possession, then they prove constructive possession (or actual, if that was the case).

Nothing prohibits you from ordering a short upper at any time. What if it's for a pistol? The seller doesn't know/care.
You do not need a pistol buffer tube. You could assemble your virgin stripped lower as a pistol using a standard carbine receiver extension, just do not put a stock on it until your Form 1 comes back approved.

Once you make a pistol, from what previously was never a rifle, it can switch between rifle and pistol afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FIFY 

"Constructive intent" isn't a thing. Constructive possession is a legal concept. If ATF wants to charge you, they charge you with possession, then they prove constructive possession (or actual, if that was the case).

Nothing prohibits you from ordering a short upper at any time. What if it's for a pistol? The seller doesn't know/care.
You do not need a pistol buffer tube. You could assemble your virgin stripped lower as a pistol using a standard carbine receiver extension, just do not put a stock on it until your Form 1 comes back approved.

Once you make a pistol, from what previously was never a rifle, it can switch between rifle and pistol afterwards.
View Quote
So since I originally built my lower without a stock and just a bare buffer tube, I can remove the stock, make sure it isn't in my possession and put it back to a pistol lower?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
To complete the initial pistol assembly, it would've needed a <16" barreled upper as well.
But yes. 

The stock may remain in your possession; you just need some legal use for that stock. As a spare stock for another carbine, for instance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a kak pistol buffer tube from Rainier Arms on a sale for $20 and it uses a carbine spring and buffer.

All my lowers are pistols 1st and it only cost me $20.....shoot it all you want as a pistol and when the stamp comes back....Un pistol it

Best part is if it runs as a pistol it will as a rifle too, being all running parts are unchanged.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can put the short upper together in a legal configuration, you should be safe.  I have a pistol lower, built from scratch as a pistol lower.  I've never taken it to the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top