Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 8:29:27 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy some cheap(ish) 5.56 in bulk for plinking/training/SHTF use.  What is a good all around bullet weight for a 10.5 1/8 twist SBR? Any suggestions of brands: Prvi Partizan, Federal, Black Hills, ETC?

A secondary question: What is a good 5.56 round, that will be used in the same SBR, to keep 2-3 mags loaded near my bedside for "bump in the night" scenarios? I keep hearing Lehigh Defense repeated but I want options.

Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#1]
62/64 g gold dot PSA has for $.50
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's my thread about ammo shot from 10.5-14.5" barrels. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/714088_Suppressed-5-56-SBR-Velocity-Tests--41-Factory-Loads-from-10-5--11-5--12-5-and-14-5-ALL-DONE-.html

64gr GD had pretty poor velocity from 10.5 & 11.5" barrels but did better in 12.5 & 14.5.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
From all I have read 55 grn 193 if only one all around round.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Eagle_19er, your work is extremely appreciated.  Your charts and figures along with a few youtube videos have me going with the Barnes 70gr bullet for home defense.

Now if I can just get a good round to buy in bulk for plinking and SHTF..... something that is not steel core/penetrator so I can shoot steel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks! That's what I was shooting for. If it helps just one person...   LOL.

70gr Barnes will be a hard hitter for HD/SD. Something in the "bulk" category could be IMI 69gr or 77gr OTM "Razor Core". It's definitely more expensive than any of the M193/M855 clones, but its performance out of an SBR is correspondingly better.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
one I'd like to try is the black hills exclusive 50gr tsx "optimized" it's not the best for long distance shots for sbr's but in most defense scenerio's it fits the bill well. it also is supposed to match M193 trajectory so you can practice with M193 and your defense load should be on point.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
If only more people adopted this mindset... it would solve alot of the B/S we see in society now-a-days....

Thanks again guys!  I'll look into the Black Hills and IMI for bulk.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Plinking/shtf  any brass cased 62gr m855 or 55gr m193

Shtf - sealed spam cans of tula/wolf open one can for testing, leave the rest sealed.

Home defense i would choose a light varmit bullet that fragments explosively due to the fact my kids' bedrooms are on the other end of the house.  Less chance on going through the bad guy or 8 sheets of dryway between me and my kids. If you don't have that issue, I'd say a bonded 64gr sp or a heavier copper solid 60-70 gr.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Plinking/shtf  any brass cased 62gr m855 or 55gr m193

Shtf - sealed spam cans of tula/wolf open one can for testing, leave the rest sealed.

Home defense i would choose a light varmit bullet that fragments explosively due to the fact my kids' bedrooms are on the other end of the house.  Less chance on going through the bad guy or 8 sheets of dryway between me and my kids. If you don't have that issue, I'd say a bonded 64gr sp or a heavier copper solid 60-70 gr.
View Quote
I was actually thinking about a heavier Wolf round (62gr) for both shooting steel/SHTF... these aren't steel core/pentrator right?

As for as SD/HD goes, my kids sleep upstairs, and one has to pass by the master bedroom to get to the stairs... I'm certain any sort of confrontation would happen on the first floor and my kids would be safe. I'd most likely be with the P10c in a HD scenario.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
"...2-3 mags loaded near my bedside for "bump in the night" scenarios..."
This is what you asked for
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

70gr Barnes will be a hard hitter for HD/SD. Something in the "bulk" category could be IMI 69gr or 77gr OTM "Razor Core". It's definitely more expensive than any of the M193/M855 clones, but its performance out of an SBR is correspondingly better.
View Quote
That is some of the best info around.  +1 on thanks.

Some of it was surprising, like the pmc xtac 5.56 seems pretty hot when I shoot it, but apparently not so much.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Wolf Gold 55 grain seems to test well.  It's certainly not the best for terminal performance, but it is fairly fast (generally will yaw at shorter ranges) and decently cheap.  It's always nice to plink with the same ammo, IMO.  Now, if you are ok with plinking with different ammo, go with TAP or something premium that performs very well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#13]
62gr Fusion MSR is effectively SBR tuned Gold Dot.  I periodically find it for about $0.60/rd online.  

For 62 gr practice ammo, CBC/Magtech has high quality 5.56 62gr without the steel core and it's cheap.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's my thread about ammo shot from 10.5-14.5" barrels. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/714088_Suppressed-5-56-SBR-Velocity-Tests--41-Factory-Loads-from-10-5--11-5--12-5-and-14-5-ALL-DONE-.html

64gr GD had pretty poor velocity from 10.5 & 11.5" barrels but did better in 12.5 & 14.5.
View Quote
interesting data about the 64gr GD since I bought some myself from PSA due to their sale.

Looks like it expands out to about 200yards which is well below SD distances, lol.

MSR looks like a really nice round too.  Basically the GD but with twice the distance.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
interesting data about the 64gr GD since I bought some myself from PSA due to their sale.

Looks like it expands out to about 200yards which is well below SD distances, lol.

MSR looks like a really nice round too.  Basically the GD but with twice the distance.
View Quote
I've got a bunch of it too but after I did the testing, it's earmarked for my longer barrels only (if ever needed for SD) where its performance shines. I stick to MSR and 77gr TMK for the shorty's. I practice with whatever FMJ is the flavor of the day.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#16]
77 TMK didn't even faze a jackrabbit from my 10.5 SBR at 150, I had to track it and put it out of it's misery with my handgun. 62 Fusions will DRT a jackrabbit and coyote from my 10.5 SBR at 200 give or take.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
77 TMK didn't even faze a jackrabbit from my 10.5 SBR at 150, I had to track it and put it out of it's misery with my handgun. 62 Fusions will DRT a jackrabbit and coyote from my 10.5 SBR at 200 give or take.
View Quote
Surprised by that with the TMK.  I can see that happening with the SMK, but thought the tip was designed to pop the target.  Interesting.

Do you have any 64gr Gold Dots?  Curious if you can take out the critters without issue at that distance too.  

It's one thing to see the math on calculators and real life experience.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well that settles it!

77gr TMK's suck for a defensive round!

Let everyone know, ASAP!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Surprised by that with the TMK.  I can see that happening with the SMK, but thought the tip was designed to pop the target.  Interesting.

Do you have any 64gr Gold Dots?  Curious if you can take out the critters without issue at that distance too.  

It's one thing to see the math on calculators and real life experience.
View Quote
I do have 64, as well as 55 and 75. I believe that there wasn't enough velocity in the 77 TMK from my 10.5 as it just went in through the chest under the head and out underneath it's tail as if it was an FMJ. It was factory Atomic 77 TMK .223 match, FYI.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"...2-3 mags loaded near my bedside for "bump in the night" scenarios..."
This is what you asked for
View Quote
Has anyone done any ballistics gel tests or noise tests on this round? When fired through a 10.5"-11.5" SBR with suppressor, it is supposed to have a 6-8 db reduction compared to more other rounds. But I can't find anything on exactly how loud it actually is when fired through the platform it was optimized for.

Doesn't need to be completely hearing safe. But if it's quiet enough that you could at least still be able to hear other people's voices after firing a bunch of rounds in an enclosed space without earpro, then it's a serious contender to have loaded up for a future HD AR build.

I'd like to build a HD AR pistol and was mainly looking at 300 blackout, but this round looks like it might be a good substitute for 300 blackout. Also have the benefit of being able to do more practice with it within my ammo budget and being able to keep it loaded with a MagPul D60.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Plinking - 55gr or 62gr. Shoots fine even from 1:7 barrels.

HD/SHTF: 69gr SMK if you test it ahead of time and it stabilizes well in your gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Barnes 70 tsx and BH 69 smk is what I use in my 10.3" 1/8 twist when I hunt coyotes, never had one that didn't drop within 130 yards.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#23]
For practice - Wolf Gold
For defense - SBR Ammo
Just make sure you verify your Zero with the SBR ammo.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Wolf gold for plinking and Fusion MSR for HD
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For practice - Wolf Gold
For defense - SBR Ammo
Just make sure you verify your Zero with the SBR ammo.
View Quote
Thats what i use in mine
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Hornady TAP SBR ammo

This

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/75-gr-tap-sbr
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been using your thread to try and figure out what to stock up on for my 11.5" that is currently in NFA Hell.

I want to say 70gr barnes (too bad real deal "brown tip" is hard to come by) but I have seen mixed reports of extreme copper fouling with that bullet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've been using your thread to try and figure out what to stock up on for my 11.5" that is currently in NFA Hell.

I want to say 70gr barnes (too bad real deal "brown tip" is hard to come by) but I have seen mixed reports of extreme copper fouling with that bullet.
View Quote
You could try to clone it using CFE223 to help in copper fouling reduction.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think it helps more then one person, I also found it to be a great resource for choosing ammo... in fact between your post and the Chopping block gel test Fusion MSR makes up the majority of my SD/HD rounds... reading your post a bit further down I think we use the same combo of fusion MSR and the BH TMK
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Has anyone done any ballistics gel tests or noise tests on this round? When fired through a 10.5"-11.5" SBR with suppressor, it is supposed to have a 6-8 db reduction compared to more other rounds. But I can't find anything on exactly how loud it actually is when fired through the platform it was optimized for.

Doesn't need to be completely hearing safe. But if it's quiet enough that you could at least still be able to hear other people's voices after firing a bunch of rounds in an enclosed space without earpro, then it's a serious contender to have loaded up for a future HD AR build.

I'd like to build a HD AR pistol and was mainly looking at 300 blackout, but this round looks like it might be a good substitute for 300 blackout. Also have the benefit of being able to do more practice with it within my ammo budget and being able to keep it loaded with a MagPul D60.
View Quote
From all the info I have seen it looks pretty similar to the 75 grain Speer Gold dot. Of the tests I have seen with the 75 grain Gold dot from short barrels you get about 2200-2300 from a 10.5 and 11.5 inch barrel, and 1870 from a 7.5 inch barrel. It had good expansion at the 11.5 inch velocity but none at the 7.5 velocity... so its threshold is somewhere in between those two points.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#31]
yall plink with expensive ammo. shoot russian steel cased ammo. wolf or brown bear. I picked up some hard primer barnaul made ammo from SGammo when they had it. shoots great with a 5.45 firing pin
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
yall plink with expensive ammo. shoot russian steel cased ammo. wolf or brown bear. I picked up some hard primer barnaul made ammo from SGammo when they had it. shoots great with a 5.45 firing pin
View Quote
No thanks.

I prefer ammunition that I like and is friendly to my rifles barrels and safer to use on AR500

Link Posted: 12/6/2017 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No thanks.

I prefer ammunition that I like and is friendly to my rifles barrels and safer to use on AR500

View Quote
Ammo savings can buy a new barrel and bimetallic bullets are safe for steel. They don’t have a steel core penetrator
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ammo savings can buy a new barrel and bimetallic bullets are safe for steel. They don’t have a steel core penetrator
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No thanks.

What about accuracy? I don't settle for keh results. And I've seen bimetal ding AR500. Plus stuck cases...no thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What about accuracy? I don't settle for keh results. And I've seen bimetal ding AR500. Plus stuck cases...no thanks again.
View Quote
Good enough for 2 gun matches on steel silhouettes out to 200 yds. No stuck cases on my 556 guns.

My Grendel had a nice double feed with wolf, may have been a new mag though but was later able to hit an 8” gong at 400yds. No need for match accuracy unless you’re shooting from a rest slow fire.

But hey it’s your money. Cheap steel has been great for me and my shooting.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#36]
To each their own, friend
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top