Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2017 3:00:37 PM EDT
Can anyone give me their best advice on a 5320.20 when moving from one state to another? Is it required and yes, SBRs are legal in both states. I move in about a month. What if you don't have a new address yet?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
We talking ar15?
Why not put a 16" on till you get things sorted. Maybe send the shorty to mom's house for now
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
ATF Form 5320.20

Yes, required to transport interstate
Yes, destination address is required as well as dates in transport (potential idea from @filthyphil if you need to move before new address is known)

You can FAX or email the 5320.20 to help speed things along
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ATF Form 5320.20

Yes, required to transport interstate
Yes, destination address is required as well as dates in transport (potential idea from @filthyphil if you need to move before new address is known)

You can FAX or email the 5320.20 to help speed things along
View Quote
Isn't that only temporary?
What is the permanent solution for moving states?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
#NotALawyer, but my experience is with a permanent IN-STATE move.  In this case, I had heard INCORRECTLY in the past that the ATF does not care.  They do care.  For in-state TEMPORARY moves (i.e. visiting friends, family, etc) no action is required as far as I've heard.  For an in-state PERMANENT move, apparently they don't care about silencers, but SBR's and everything else they do.  I actually included my silencer on the form just to be safe.  This is not legal advice, but I would recommend the same - what can it hurt?  I was told by a rep at the WV NFA branch that the form 5320.20 is what to use.  Fill it out per the image below.

My best guess is that for a permanent out of state move, do the same thing.  Also, to answer your first question, this is REQUIRED for ALL NFA items when moving permanently out of state.  If you have more than 3 items, complete a new form until you have covered all items.

To summarize:

Temporary transport IN-STATE - no action
Permanent transport IN-STATE - no action for silencers, Form 5320.20 for anything else
Temporary transport OUT-OF-STATE - Form 5320.20 for all NFA items
Permanent transport OUT-OF-STATE - Form 5320.20 for all NFA items

For your other question, I'm not sure.  If you don't know your new address yet, I bet they would tell you to wait until you know to send it in.  However, legally you shouldn't be moving those items until that form has been approved.  Therefore, my best suggestion is to contact the Martinsburg, WV ATF branch where the Form 20's are processed.  Also read all instructions on the form.  Their number is 1-866-662-2750 or 304-616-4130.

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
In box 2 you would check no since the firearms are not being returned to their original location.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In box 2 you would check no since the firearms are not being returned to their original location.
View Quote
Gotcha! Thanks! I never knew.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Submitted via email. Let's see how long this takes. Last time I did these for interstate shooting match it took about a month. 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did you notice what the example for "reason" is on the form?
View Quote
I was always told it was for temporary moving. Not permanent. Little do I know...
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, just did this from wv to nc. You're looking at a 45 day wait. You use that form for permanent move, best advice is to call mag branch. One fifteen minute phone call and a nice lady patiently walked me through the form and answered my questions very knowledgeably. Mine was with a trust, so I just made my FIL a trustee, he held the rifle, I moved, paperwork came in, went a got rifle, removed him as trustee. Easy as pie. Worst case, strip the rifle down, and store stripped receiver in safe deposit box until approved form comes in. You can also have paperwork expedited if you're pcsing.  I AM NOT A LAWYER

Edit- nfa branch, not mag branch
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#13]
This more accurate....

Permanent transport IN-STATE - no action for silencers, Form 5320.20 for anything else
Temporary transport OUT-OF-STATE - Form 5320.20 for all NFA items except suppressors
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This more accurate....

Temporary transport OUT-OF-STATE - Form 5320.20 for all NFA items except suppressors
View Quote
Only slightly, and still not correct
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Straight from the ATF:

I have a NFA firearm and I’m moving. What do I do?

A registered possessor of an NFA firearm, other than an FFL/SOT, may not lawfully transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, without prior written approval of ATF, specifically the NFA Branch. Approval for the transportation may be obtained by either a written request, or an approved application filed with ATF on Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms. Please note that applications to transport NFA firearms will be approved only if consistent with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(4); 27 C.F.R. § 478.28]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top