Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 9:58:48 PM EDT
I want to SBR a lower and I want to be able to run different uppers on it.  5.56 300bo,  ect.   If the lower is stamped 5.56 vs multi is this a problem?

I have a LWRC DI  and I would like to SBR the lower.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Caliber markings on the lower are irrelevant as far as federal law.Your Form 1 will have to designate a caliber or calibers. " Multi" is not acceptable on a Form 1, even if that is what is on the lower.

Edit: Apparently, I gave out some incorrect information. My apologies.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your Form 1 will have to designate a caliber, or calibers.
View Quote
Different calibers are also no longer allowed - you will put down the caliber in which you will build it, and that must be marked on the receiver, frame or barrel.

After that, OP, you can go change calibers freely to your heart's content - only has to match when you first make it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter.
View Quote
Yes, it does.
As Circuits explained "Multi" is not acceptable.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, it does.
View Quote
Unless the ATF is watching you fill out the form and watches you "make" the firearm, it doesn't matter.

ETA, OP just put 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unless the ATF is watching you fill out the form and watches you "make" the firearm, it doesn't matter.

ETA, OP just put 5.56.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it does.

ETA, OP just put 5.56.
How many times must it be said that you don't put "Multi" on a Form 1?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The lower doesn't need to say multi, or anything. You cannot put multi on the form, you have to put the caliber that the SBR will be built as. You must also have the caliber marked on either barrel (they usually are) or receiver.

I really dislike the "multi" caliber markings on the lower, wish they'd just not mark caliber at all. It's not a completed firearm and it's not required and you can't list "multi" as caliber in anything, so it's just pointless.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The lower doesn't need to say multi, or anything. You cannot put multi on the form, you have to put the caliber that the SBR will be built as. You must also have the caliber marked on either barrel (they usually are) or receiver.

I really dislike the "multi" caliber markings on the lower, wish they'd just not mark caliber at all. It's not a completed firearm and it's not required and you can't list "multi" as caliber in anything, so it's just pointless.
View Quote
The caliber marking on the barrel meets the marking requirement for same. Not contradicting just providing amplifying info.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]
My lower I sbr'd is a LaRue multi marked lower. My form was returned to me and I was told I had to put a caliber.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
From my understanding, the lower can be marked multi, but as long as a caliber is marked somewhere on the rifle, it's legal for SBR, correct??? And of course you need to state the caliber and length on the Form 1
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From my understanding, the lower can be marked multi, but as long as a caliber is marked somewhere on the rifle, it's legal for SBR, correct??? And of course you need to state the caliber and length on the Form 1
View Quote
Yes and yes. Though the required markings can't go "somewhere" as in "just anywhere" on the rifle, it's got to be the frame, receiver or barrel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, and if I read correctly, has to be "readily visible" also...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top