Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2012 2:10:25 PM EDT
Can you put a 14.5" barrel on a Colt factory SBR, even though the Form 4 specifically says it has a 11.5" barrel?

I have another lower that I filed a Form 1 on and my barrel length was listed as 10.5"-16", so I'm good to go there. But, is there a LEGAL reason why I cannot put a longer barrel on a gun that is registered as having a 11.5"?

I know, I know...stupid questions for stupid laws.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The form is simply a snapshot of the configuration of the gun the moment it was built.

You can put any barrel length on there.  Putting a >16" barrel on there even removes the weapon from the purview of the NFA while it's in that configuration (IE you could take it to non-NFA states, could travel interstate without a .20 as long as you didn't have the parts with you to return it to NFA configuration).

Just FYI: the ATF no longer accepts a range of lengths or "multi" in the caliber or length sections.  That doesn't fit the use of the form.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The form is simply a snapshot of the configuration of the gun the moment it was built.

You can put any barrel length on there. Putting a >16" barrel on there even removes the weapon from the purview of the NFA while it's in that configuration (IE you could take it to non-NFA states, could travel interstate without a .20 as long as you didn't have the parts with you to return it to NFA configuration).

Just FYI: the ATF no longer accepts a range of lengths or "multi" in the caliber or length sections.  That doesn't fit the use of the form.

So you're saying that since you have a non-sbr upper on the sbr lower, it's going to be treated as a standard rifle and no permission to travel form (I forgot what the form was 55xx/53xx or something like that) is required to leave your home state? Is this really true?
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can put any barrel length on there. Putting a >16" barrel on there even removes the weapon from the purview of the NFA while it's in that configuration (IE you could take it to non-NFA states, could travel interstate without a .20 as long as you didn't have the parts with you to return it to NFA configuration).

So you're saying that since you have a non-sbr upper on the sbr lower, it's going to be treated as a standard rifle and no permission to travel form (I forgot what the form was 55xx/53xx or something like that) is required to leave your home state? Is this really true?

SBR's are classified in totality. (Source: Answer one http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

Yes, there is no .20 needed if you don't retain control over the SBR upper - IE you leave it at home and don't bring it across state lines with you.  (Source: Answer six http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html)
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR's are classified in totality. (Source: Answer one http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

Yes, there is no .20 needed if you don't retain control over the SBR upper - IE you leave it at home and don't bring it across state lines with you.  (Source: Answer six http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html)

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
It is my understanding that as long as you can return it to the configuration specified on the form1/4 you are good to go

If you are going to make a permanent change " They" need to know.

I'm enjoying a 10.5" PWS pistol build waiting on a Form 1
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is my understanding that as long as you can return it to the configuration specified on the form1/4 you are good to go

The ATF requests (but does not and cannot require) that you notify them of any permanent change.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Also only partially correct. There is no "need" to notify them of a change. They request that you do, but it is not a legal requirement. Besides that, the AR15 is such a modular platform that nothing can be really called a permanent modification.

You don't have to retain the original upper with the barrel length specified on your form. That is a myth.

Also, you will enjoy your MK110 as a rifle. My MK110 SBR just approved today. It's going to be even MORE fun now that I can legally go bust that bastard out of jail instead of just conjugal visits. ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top