Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2017 10:17:12 PM EDT
I happened upon some walnut pieces large enough to try whittling out a gunstock.

How does this look for a first try. I would like some brutal honesty, it is what I am used to. I think the grip area could have been rounded over better based on the light in the first picture. That isn't as noticeable in person. Forearm may still be a little bulky to my eye. Can't really decide. In the first picture the butt stock is darker toward the front and that seems to be due to some difference in the porosity of the wood and how much oil it will soak up? Not sure how to blend that in. It is not as glaring from other angles. Grain flow through the grip area is all wrong I think, but the piece I had to work with offered very limited options but the price was right.
Rifle is lacking trigger guard at the moment because the plastic stocks Cricket rifles come in have an integral trigger guard and I haven't come up with a replacement yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good and the knot gives it some character there. Yes the wood is why it takes oil differently. May always be that way or may change depending on how much you leave it in the sun. What kind of oil did you use? BLO? If so just apply more and buff it and repeat till you get the look you want. It should even out. At least with my experience with it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Pictures are after one coat of BLO. I've since scuffed it and applied a second coat. Figure I will follow that process until I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]
She seems to think you did pretty good for a first try.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:21:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:17:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Where can I find NON exhibition grade/plain stock blanks?

I looked on ebay and all they got is exhibition grade stuff that costs a lot. But I can't seem to find cheap but plain wood stock blanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where can I find NON exhibition grade/plain stock blanks?

I looked on ebay and all they got is exhibition grade stuff that costs a lot. But I can't seem to find cheap but plain wood stock blanks.
View Quote
Here ya go

Boyds also sells shaped stocks that are not inletted; I bought one of their thumbhole laminates and inletted it for my TC Black Diamond muzzle loader.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
BLO without additional hardeners often ends up long term being almost black.

It never fully polymerizes and dirt from handling turns it nearly black over many years.

Adding additional Japan drier can make a much easier and better finish.

It often does not take very much drier to greatly improve the hardening.

A teaspoon or so of Japan per 1 cup of BLO.
Combine thoroughly.

Apply immediately and rub out.
Throw away anything left.

Use a new piece of rag each time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top