Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2017 2:16:28 PM EDT
Years ago I threaded a few barrels with a threading kit with TAT for a muzzle break (during the ban) and I didn't fuck anything up? And I never threaded anything in my life prior
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
They typically need to be removed in order to be single point threaded in the lathe. Also, it's brake, not break (sorry, pet peeve).
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They typically need to be removed in order to be single point threaded in the lathe. Also, it's brake, not break (sorry, pet peeve).
View Quote
Fixturing up a barrel to be die threaded is not all that simple.

Not fixturing runs the real risk of poorly aligned threads and a device that will not attach straight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not fixturing runs the real risk of poorly aligned threads and a device that will not attach straight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
They typically need to be removed in order to be single point threaded in the lathe.
Not sure how that came across as minimizing setup for other threading methods. Unless I'm just misunderstanding the response.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It'd be foolish, and maybe even stupid, to attempt to thread a barrel by any means that doesn't guarantee centration and alignment to the bore axis.

Which is any means OTHER than on a lathe.

If I ever heard of a gunsmith who would thread a barrel by any means OTHER than on a lathe, I would never give him my business and
go out of my way to warn other gun owners about that HACK who thinks he's a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
As a machinist I want it done as concentric with the bore as possible. Best way to get the bore to run concentric is have the barrel by itself set up in a lathe between centers or whatever spiders then cut the thread. Gunsmiths do it differently but I did it between centers with a lathe dog as it was the simplest set up for me(non precision bbl). Either way you would like the full length of the bore to be concentric with the threads. Harder to do with and odd shaped attachment connected to the barrel.

Didn't realize this is the gunsmith forum, sure you'll get better answers, though I'll leave my comment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry for the typo. I knew better but wasn't paying attention. Autospell etc.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It'd be foolish, and maybe even stupid, to attempt to thread a barrel by any means that doesn't guarantee centration and alignment to the bore axis.

Which is any means OTHER than on a lathe.

If I ever heard of a gunsmith who would thread a barrel by any means OTHER than on a lathe, I would never give him my business and
go out of my way to warn other gun owners about that HACK who thinks he's a gunsmith.
View Quote
I'm not a gunsmith.

I bought the threading kit and TAT( thread allignent tool)  I followed the instructions and threaded like 5 barrels and screwed on the Brake. Later the brakes got changed to flash hiders. I never perminently attached the device properly to conform with the now defunct AWB....oops....

Anyway, It worked fine and never caused any problems. It was just like threading a water pipe.

Maybe I was just damn lucky?....

Edited to add.

https://guncarrier.com/diy-threading-barrels-2/  

Link made hot.  AeroE

See link.  This guy didn't remove the barrel?....
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not a gunsmith.

I bought the threading kit and TAT( thread allignent tool.)  I followed the instructions and threaded like 5 barrels and screwed on the Brake. It worked.fine and never caused any problems. It was just like threading a water pipe.

Maybe I was just damn lucky?....
View Quote
.....or maybe you just aren't too picky about the results for your needs. For a brake or flash hider with plenty of clearance and where perfect alignment is not required that is fine. If you want perfect alignment and a nice square shoulder the threads should be turned.....making it necessary to remove the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As a machinist I want it done as concentric with the bore as possible. Best way to get the bore to run concentric is have the barrel by itself set up in a lathe between centers or whatever spiders then cut the thread. Gunsmiths do it differently but I did it between centers with a lathe dog as it was the simplest set up for me(non precision bbl). Either way you would like the full length of the bore to be concentric with the threads. Harder to do with and odd shaped attachment connected to the barrel.

Didn't realize this is the gunsmith forum, sure you'll get better answers, though I'll leave my comment.
View Quote
You're a machinist?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're a machinist?
View Quote
Yes, almost 25 years.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not a professional machinist but I spent two years learning the trade in a vo-tech program run by the local college.
I know how to run a lathe, a mill, and most other machine tools.

I don't currently own a lathe but I do have a knee mill.

Once you have been educated by machinists, and have spent time with dial indicators and seeing what you have to do to fix what
other people have done because they used a vise and a tap handle rather than have a machinist do it on a lathe, you would understand
why those of us who have ANY machinist experience think that's a really BAD idea.

Mount a suppressor on your rifle that you hand-threaded with a kit and I'd bet money on a baffle strike within a hundred rounds.

It may be OK for a brake but it's PROBABLY not good enough for a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not good enough for a brake, either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not good enough for a brake, either.
View Quote
All 5 I did are.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not a professional machinist but I spent two years learning the trade in a vo-tech program run by the local college.
I know how to run a lathe, a mill, and most other machine tools.

I don't currently own a lathe but I do have a knee mill.

Once you have been educated by machinists, and have spent time with dial indicators and seeing what you have to do to fix what
other people have done because they used a vise and a tap handle rather than have a machinist do it on a lathe, you would understand
why those of us who have ANY machinist experience think that's a really BAD idea.

Mount a suppressor on your rifle that you hand-threaded with a kit and I'd bet money on a baffle strike within a hundred rounds.

It may be OK for a brake but it's PROBABLY not good enough for a suppressor.
View Quote
I guess I didn't know any better......

They do sell do it your self barrel threading kits and lots of guys use them?.........
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#16]
In general, there are 2 ways to thread a barrel without removing it:
1) those die kits
2) a jig (or fixture) specifically designed for one type of barreled action (such as MP5) in a lathe. The lathe must also be large enough to accommodate said jig and receiver.

The jigs are expensive and/or difficult to fabricate. That's why they're normally encountered at specialty gunsmith shops which are usually very selective about what models they work on. General gunsmith shops use lathes the same way a general machine shop would, and most will require barrel removal to turn "between centers".

Either scenario will use single-point thread cutting, which is more precise. The precision level is totally dependant upon the machinist. Like everything else, setup is critical.

Die cut threads might be good enough for a brake or flash suppressor, but they're never good enough for a sound suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In general, there are 2 ways to thread a barrel without removing it:
1) those die kits
2) a jig (or fixture) specifically designed for one type of barreled action (such as MP5) in a lathe. The lathe must also be large enough to accommodate said jig and receiver.

The jigs are expensive and/or difficult to fabricate. That's why they're normally encountered at specialty gunsmith shops which are usually very selective about what models they work on. General gunsmith shops use lathes the same way a general machine shop would, and most will require barrel removal to turn "between centers".

Either scenario will use single-point thread cutting, which is more precise. The precision level is totally dependant upon the machinist. Like everything else, setup is critical.

Die cut threads might be good enough for a brake or flash suppressor, but they're never good enough for a sound suppressor.
View Quote
^^^^ This. Many do not have the correct jigs to hold receivers chamber centered and will not take the time to make one for one job. Yes, there are some actions that are just a PITA and it is easier in the long run to just pull the barrel. However, this can lead to other issues when the barrel gets put back on the receiver. There is a crush factor when the barrel is torqued and any previous engravings may not line up as they were. Caliber, manufacturer, etc. They may be rotated a bit and no longer line up with the Stock as they did before and if the gun had open sights then even worse.
Thus..The reason for having the correct jigs for every firearm that one can be used on.
The object is to turn the barrel on the bore axis.. always. Never from the barrel profile if you can help it or you are sure the barrel profile is concentric to the bore. You will know as soon as you try to get the steady rest dialed in.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
The intended purpose of me threading the barrels was to put on muzzle brakes and later on flash suppressors.

It worked perfectly on 5 rifles for that purpose and the threads look straight to the naked eye... Never gave it any thought about using a supressor at the time I did it and was unaware (until now) that the die kit is not the correct way.

I wonder why the die kits are marketed and sold if they are not the correct way to thread barrels then?

It seems like lots of folks use them. Check out the you tube videos..
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#19]
A lot of people use them because they're a lot cheaper than a lathe.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#20]
That's it. Their cost is low, and most gun owners don't buy sound suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The intended purpose of me threading the barrels was to put on muzzle brakes and later on flash suppressors.

It worked perfectly on 5 rifles for that purpose and the threads look straight to the naked eye... Never gave it any thought about using a supressor at the time I did it and was unaware (until now) that the die kit is not the correct way.

I wonder why the die kits are marketed and sold if they are not the correct way to thread barrels then?

It seems like lots of folks use them. Check out the you tube videos..
View Quote
You asked why people say you should take the barrel off, we told you.

Few professional gunsmiths are willing to risk their reputation by doing a half assed job. 

They sell these kits for people that don't give a shit about their SKS or AK, they want something on the barrel. The kit is a way to get there, congrats on your success, many get them to work fine for their needs I'm sure. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you all for the replies.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I was considering threading the barrel on my Sub 2000 but after what you guys told me I'm not going to.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was considering threading the barrel on my Sub 2000 but after what you guys told me I'm not going to.
View Quote
Are you planning on running a suppressor? If not, and you've successfully done 5 previously with a die and TAT, then I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#25]
You can always pull a barrel and send it off for threading.

Some actions are easier than others.
Any number of actions have used crush fits to make sure they do not come off at teh wrong time.
Many military actions are this way.
It takes a LOT of force to remove them the first time.

Enough to damage actions that are not well supported in a fixture.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A lot of people use them because they're a lot cheaper than a lathe.
View Quote
Not only cheaper than a lathe, but cheaper than he cost some machinists charge just to thread a single barrel (some charge as much as $150).

But for $150, one should expect both sufficient concentricity of the threads to the bore, and a squared shoulder (both important for most suppression purposes).

Here is one example:

"Quick and affordable: $150".  https://www.dobbsdefense.com/store/services/barrel-threading/
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Single point, lathe, bore dialed in to 0.0001. I try for a 3A fit.

Satisfied customers = repeat customers for other stuff = more money

Threading with a die is no Bueno, FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are you planning on running a suppressor? If not, and you've successfully done 5 previously with a die and TAT, then I'd say go for it.
View Quote
I'm considering getting a suppressor.

How would I know if I cut the threads good enough for a supressor with a die?

Is there a chance I did?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Look down the barrel and see if you can see baffles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm considering getting a suppressor.

How would I know if I cut the threads good enough for a supressor with a die?

Is there a chance I did?
View Quote
Then I would have it threaded properly. Another issue I find with die threaded muzzles is that the fit is very loose. It's not worth the risk of a baffle strike unless you plan on using a suppressor that uses really oversized baffles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Then I would have it threaded properly. Another issue I find with die threaded muzzles is that the fit is very loose. It's not worth the risk of a baffle strike unless you plan on using a suppressor that uses really oversized baffles.
View Quote
I didn't know they made supressors with oversized baffles?

Yeah I could always look down the barrel to see if i can see baffles I suppose?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#32]
All silencer baffles are oversized. It's just a question of how much. If you do see that it's off center, the only way to fix the issue is to shorten and rethread the barrel (correctly), which may not be an option. I would do it right to begin with. Don't use a die.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I used the Die kit on a couple of FALs years ago for a customer.  Guy asked me if I would do it.  I said I dont do that.  He said I will buy the dies and you can keep them and he paid me.
He had full knowledge it was a learning experience.
They came out damn good. Wasnt that big of a deal after all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Double post.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
All silencer baffles are oversized. It's just a question of how much. If you do see that it's off center, the only way to fix the issue is to shorten and rethread the barrel (correctly), which may not be an option. I would do it right to begin with. Don't use a die.
View Quote
I cant tell that's it's crooked with the naked eye and flash suppressor. The TAT is supposed to make the die line up straight.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I used the Die kit on a couple of FALs years ago for a customer.  Guy asked me if I would do it.  I said I dont do that.  He said I will buy the dies and you can keep them and he paid me.
He had full knowledge it was a learning experience.
They came out damn good. Wasnt that big of a deal after all.
View Quote
As far as I can tell the ones i did came out good too...

It's just like threading a water pipe.

I took my time and the TAT was very useful
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I threaded a receiver for a barrel slightly crooked (I should have a proper tap wrench or a way to put pressure on both sides evenly). I fixed it by canting the tap the other way as I chase the threads. It was a loose fit and I think there's still a slight cant, but the rifle turned out pretty accurate and there was no setback or movements at all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I cant tell that's it's crooked with the naked eye and flash suppressor. The TAT is supposed to make the die line up straight.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The issue (like many 'issues' in machining) is tolerances.
If everything is correct it will line up.
If ANYTHING is off it will NOT align properly.

Is the barrel slightly worn?
Alignment stud of TAT may allow movement.
Die worn?
TAT not cut to tight thread tolerance.

Movement between die cutting teeth and TAT.

There are many lath setups for cutting chambers and threading barrels for actions.

Some are more repeatable than others.

Some involve cutting fixturing to tightly match previous cuts made on the barrel.
Or using an adjustable tool like a spider to center up one end of the barrel while a collet centers the other.
Or a 4 or 6 jaw check aligned to 1/10,000.  Or better.

You can often adjust to better than one division on any indicator.

You just cannot reliable say what the alignment is any more.
But it is better than 1/10,000.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The issue (like many 'issues' in machining) is tolerances.
If everything is correct it will line up.
If ANYTHING is off it will NOT align properly.

Is the barrel slightly worn?
Alignment stud of TAT may allow movement.
Die worn?
TAT not cut to tight thread tolerance.

Movement between die cutting teeth and TAT.

There are many lath setups for cutting chambers and threading barrels for actions.

Some are more repeatable than others.

Some involve cutting fixturing to tightly match previous cuts made on the barrel.
Or using an adjustable tool like a spider to center up one end of the barrel while a collet centers the other.
Or a 4 or 6 jaw check aligned to 1/10,000.  Or better.

You can often adjust to better than one division on any indicator.

You just cannot reliable say what the alignment is any more.
But it is better than 1/10,000.
View Quote
Understood
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Just like cutting a water pipe, alrighty then.

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Understood
View Quote
I am NOT trying to get down on you.

I worked for many years in aerospace electronics and hardware.
Very black things that MUST work EVERY time.
And cost fantastic amounts of money to design, build, and operate.

The cutting edge of technology is always green.
It is the color of money.

Relying on luck of the draw is not a good idea with expensive things.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am NOT trying to get down on you.

I worked for many years in aerospace electronics and hardware.
Very black things that MUST work EVERY time.
And cost fantastic amounts of money to design, build, and operate.

The cutting edge of technology is always green.
It is the color of money.

Relying on luck of the draw is not a good idea with expensive things.
View Quote
I didn't think you were getting down on me.

It was like 15 years ago when I threaded the barrels and did it on the.advice of some guy who worked at a gun shop I used to go to.

I was thinking about threading the barrels on a few other firearms( sub 2000 being one) and saw online about places that remove the barrel in order to do it . Then I thought to myself, why would you have to remove the barrel?; I didn't etc....

Anyway, it's not worth it for me to have to barrel professionally threaded on a sub 2000 , so I'll skip it...
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I didn't think you were getting down on me.

It was like 15 years ago when I threaded the barrels and did it on the.advice of some guy who worked at a gun shop I used to go to.

I was thinking about threading the barrels on a few other firearms( sub 2000 being one) and saw online about places that remove the barrel in order to do it . Then I thought to myself, why would you have to remove the barrel?; I didn't etc....

Anyway, it's not worth it for me to have to barrel professionally threaded on a sub 2000 , so I'll skip it...
View Quote
You might try asking in the PA HTF, you might get lucky and find someone close with a lathe that is willing to help a guy out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top