Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2017 7:58:56 PM EDT
I just received a rifle back from being threaded. Along with the threading, I opted for their in-house thread protector. Well, the thread protector is too long and exposes 3+ threads on the TP.

Am I in the wrong for expecting it to be flush for that factory look and common for the TP to be too long especially from the same shop?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends, did you buy a generic thread protector or a service to make a custom one to the threads you had done?

Personally, I wouldn't care as long as it protected the threads. FWIW, being longer will also help protect the bore <edit> crown. (duh, that's what I meant )
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I prefer a thread protector that is slightly longer than the threaded barrel tenon.
It protects the threads and protects the crown a bit better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Female threads are less likely to become damaged for the most part.

Male threads are damage magnets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe get yourself an o-ring that you can push into the thread protector that will get sandwiched between the crown of the barrel and the inside of the thread protector.  Will also help keep the thread protector from coming loose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top