Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2017 4:51:14 PM EDT
I have a .220 Swift that is built on an FN Mauser action with a 1950 date on it. The barrel is stamped "Flaigs" which I believe refers to an old custom gunmaker in PA. I had to add a spacer to the stock to increase LOP and refinish the stock, but nothing that can't be reversed so far. It still has the Mauser trigger and I'd like to replace it with a Timney which will require removing stock material and opening the slot in the trigger guard. When I first got the rifle and was attempting to remove the stock, I thought I might have to burn it off as it was so tightly inletted. It is really a work of lost art. No epoxy. Do I feel guilty altering it? 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless the smith that put his name on it is famous or there's a market for his works, I doubt any prospective owner is going to get mad about having a trigger updated.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't feel guilty.

Those old customs built on surplus actions are all over the map on quality and level of customization, with hundreds of makers.

Unless it was some famous maker with provenance, like  Gibbs or PO Ackley, I wouldn't concern myself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep the old parts with it in case an eventual buyer wants them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#5]
It came with an old Weaver scope in a Beuller Mount that must require scope disassembly to install the Rings.  A one piece Leopold base matched the original screw holes in the receiver. 
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Finished. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw one that was bigger once, looked like a Marine drew it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Too much drop in the comb for a scoped rifle.  That is an extreme snabel (but I've seen a penis shaped one too).
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#10]
OP,

Decent wood stocks inletted for a 98 Mauser show up regularly on ebay, even the occasional Bishop or Faejen.

Many of them are take offs, just drop in your gun, or inletted but unfinished.

Have you considered just setting that stock aside and starting fresh?

There are also pillar bedded Hogue composites and the like for a little over $100 if you want a solid hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The more I think about this 'It depends on what the present value is.'

A run of the mil demil and sporter probably not much.

One that is done by a name or not common?

The more value it has now the more likely further modifications could reduce that value.

An Ackley converted AI rifle might have some collector value.

A Joe Gunsmith AI converted rifle?  Probbaly pretty low.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
This was a commercial action and from what I've been able to dredge up, Flaig's was mostly heard of in the NE. But they didn't have the Internet in the '50s. I was able to inlet the stock minimally for the trigger and it doesn't look out of place. I've always use the standard that repairs and modifications should appear to "belong there". I shot one 5/8" group with the new trigger. Much better. And I kind of like the extreme Schnable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top