Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2017 8:03:57 PM EDT
I picked up a West Hurly M1927 really cheap a few weeks ago.  The issue is the bolt is stuck half way on it. I got it apart, disassembled the lower and put it back together, charged it and bam, same thing. So, I got it apart again looked at all the innards and they all look correct and correctly installed. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I picked up a West Hurly M1927 really cheap a few weeks ago.  The issue is the bolt is stuck half way on it. I got it apart, disassembled the lower and put it back together, charged it and bam, same thing. So, I got it apart again looked at all the innards and they all look correct and correctly installed. Any ideas?
View Quote

Start measuring things and looking for rub marks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
New gun or new to you??

First check is the oddball "dog leg" firing pin.
If the strangely shaped firing pin breaks it jams up the gun and it can even be extremely difficult to disassemble the gun.

Make sure the safety is all the way forward to the FIRE position.

Check the recoil spring guide assembly to insure the guide rods aren't broken or bent.

If it's new to you look for alterations.
Stock replaced??  Check for an overly long stock screw sticking into the lower receiver.

Check the lower trigger assembly to insure it's assembled correctly.

Recoil and firing pin springs correct and not replacements??

Troubleshooting method........
Separate the receiver and the trigger group.
Remove everything from the upper receiver.
Replace the bolt and check for free and full movement in the receiver.
Replace the bolt handle, check again.
Replace the cylindrical hammer and check again.
Replace the firing pin spring and guide, check movement.
Replace double recoil spring and plate, check again.

If all that's okay, it almost has to be something in the trigger group.

Here's the owner's manual with a schematic.  If you feel comfortable, disassemble the trigger group and check for broken/altered parts and proper assembly:

Thompson manual

Check book stores for the Gun Digest Books of Firearms Disassembly.  These are the big paperbacks.
One of them has full disassembly of the semi-auto trigger assembly.

To start, use a piece of plastic or wood to pull down the upper leg of the trigger plate so you can slide the safety out.
The upper leg spring retains the safety and gives it the "snap".
Then wiggle and pull the trigger plate out of the trigger group.
This releases everything.
NOTE that the trigger plate tends to stick rather badly so you may need to use a nylon drift to lightly tap on the large trigger plate pins to get it out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm at least the 3rd owner of this anchor. The guy I bought it from said he bought it the exact way it is and couldn't figure it out. I figure for what I paid, I can replace all the innards and still be able to turn a profit on it. I've had the lower apart a few times and have reassembled it.  I replaced the pawl and disconnector due to someone modifying them on a grinder. I'm going to look into doing the upper troubleshooting because I can't see anything wrong now with the lower.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Since it's been through a number of hands.....Trust nothing, suspect everything.

Often Billy Bob will make strange alterations or replacements for no known reason, and sometimes these can be hard to spot because a reasonable person wouldn't dream of doing such things.  However, someone thought it was a good idea at the time.

As example I had a customer who replaced the stock M1-A1 stock with a conversion kit so he could use a 1921-1928 detachable stock.
He had problems with the bolt sticking and being hard to operate.
He'd lost the bolts that came with the conversion plate and used bolts just a little too long, which were interfering with the bolt.
Prior to that, he'd just removed the threaded stud that one of the stock screws screwed into.
This left a big hole in the bottom of the trigger group and this caused problems too, so he did the correct thing and reinstalled the stud, then cut the stud flush with the outside of the trigger group.

As above, suspect EVERYTHING, trust NOTHING.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top