Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 3:47:56 PM EDT
I have had two Grace USA sets, and the 1/16" that I need for gas blocks bends like a spaghetti noodle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Starrett
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The trick is to use a starter pin punch to get pins moving.  Once they're moving switch to a longer punch to fully remove.

A starter punch is just a standard punch cut off to about 1/2 inch working length.  The shorter length makes for a much stiffer punch that won't flex or bend.

In many cases you can use a nail set, which virtually can't flex or bend to start pins moving.

As for punches, I used the Brownell's replaceable pin punches.
They sell all sorts of lengths from starter pins, to roll pin, to punches with concave ends for round head pins, and others.
They come in at least three sizes and many lengths.

The best part is, bend or break a pin and instead of waiting for another to get shipped to you, you can simply unscrew the collar and install a new pin.
Also, with three handles you can use all the sizes, lengths, and types of pins.
It's also much cheaper to buy a few spare pins then having to toss the entire punch and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks.  Two great posts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
use a file to round the edges on the leading end of the pin and then put a dab of grease on it. Should drive in like a hot knife through butter.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I've personally had great luck with these Tekton punches.  I've used this set at least weekly for a year and a half (and I'm not easy on punches) and all of them are still in great shape.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
use a file to round the edges on the leading end of the pin and then put a dab of grease on it. Should drive in like a hot knife through butter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
so, for a very small gas roll pin, would you use a small round file?  I am not sure I understand what you are suggesting.

Quoted:
Starrett
Does Starrett make ROLL PIN punches?  I cannot find that.  I see flat head punches and pointed punches.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
so, for a very small gas roll pin, would you use a small round file?  I am not sure I understand what you are suggesting.

Does Starrett make ROLL PIN punches?  I cannot find that.  I see flat head punches and pointed punches.
View Quote
I think the OP was talking about REMOVING pins, and the other poster was talking about INSTALLING pins.

To install a pin, you can use any fine cut file to gently round off the sharp edges of the pin to ease it's entry into the hole.
A little grease will lubricate it and help it slide in.
All the filing does is prevent the sharp edges of the pin from catching and making insertion harder.

I don't think Starrett makes roll pin punches unless the "pointed punches" are their version of a roll pin punch.
Usually roll pin punches have a cone shaped point in the center of the flat face to fit into the roll pin.
Standard "pointed punches" are usually center punches or special marking punches used to insert into a hole and mark where a drill will be used to drill a hole.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I
Usually roll pin punches have a cone shaped point in the center of the flat face to fit into the roll pin.
View Quote
A hemisphere on the face to fit in the center if the roll pin without expanding it.

Anything tapered that could expand the pin is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Specialized Armament sells the best custom set.

Pin Punch Set

Gas Tube Pin Tool

Wait for it...
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Specialized Armament sells the best custom set.

Pin Punch Set

Gas Tube Pin Tool

Wait for it...
View Quote
Sure look like flat pin punches.

Roll pin punches have a hemisphere machined in the tip to keep them centered up without expanding the pin.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Starrett
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Starter punches.  I have a set of them myself.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Starter punches.  I have a set of them myself.
View Quote
Without the hemisphere you run the risk of slipping.

For frequently used one I grind them from starter length flat punches.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sure look like flat pin punches.

Roll pin punches have a hemisphere machined in the tip to keep them centered up without expanding the pin.
View Quote
Some do but you're mostly wrong...

What you're describing is a pilot punch. A variant of a pin punch that's used to remove and install a spring pin or a coiled spring pin.

This thread is a perfect example of why it's so important to know what your talking about BEFORE you begin talking.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#15]
spring pin or a coiled spring pin.
View Quote
Otherwise often known as a roll pin.

Available as both multi turn (spiral or coiled) and single turn (slotted).
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I just bought a set of roll pin start punches from Squirrel Daddy on Amazon. Hollow tip to hold the pin. Used them the day they arrived and it made me wish I had found them years ago.
I also use Craftsman flat punches and Grace roll pin punches.

Amazon Product
  • 100% Made in USA
  • NON-impact hollow tip is for holding / starting roll pin
  • Prevent damage caused by an accidental slip off while getting the pin started

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just bought a set of roll pin start punches from Squirrel Daddy on Amazon. Hollow tip to hold the pin. Used them the day they arrived and it made me wish I had found them years ago.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01BL4TW3Y
View Quote
I still prefer the hemisphere.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the hollow punches to start it and the hemisphere punches to finish. Makes it much easier since I don't have to pinch the roll pin or try to hold it straight with a pair of pliers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd say me, but I havent actually built it yet.  Tough 5/16" hex body with a short M42 pin that's been dressed with a nub.  If the M42 doesn't live maybe I'll try some S7.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice contribution.  Thanks.  I mentioned that I have broken several Grace punches.  I wonder what steel they are using.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Started with the Specialized Armament set, the punches are Mayhew with a shortened 1/16" for the gas pin, they are ok (I keep them around for general work along with some brass Grace punches) , the roll pin holders/starters are good (unsure what brand they are).

I then upgraded to Proto Roll Pin punches ( Proto Roll Pin Punches ) and also added the three punches that Geissele makes  Roll Pin Tool and Gas Block Pin Punch Set
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Started with the Specialized Armament set, the punches are Mayhew with a shortened 1/16" for the gas pin, they are ok (I keep them around for general work along with some brass Grace punches) , the roll pin holders/starters are good (unsure what brand they are).

I then upgraded to Proto Roll Pin punches ( Proto Roll Pin Punches ) and also added the three punches that Geissele makes  Roll Pin Tool and Gas Block Pin Punch Set
View Quote
Geisseles' removal set is wonky. A tapered punch is problematic because it's too easy to wedge it into your gas block when removing a tough pin. If you have a propperly made pnch, theres just no reason I can see to need two.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, you like the Proto?  The idea of a short starter makes sense.  I use the Geissele starter for the gas block.  Maybe it is a crutch for the less shop inclined, but it works well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So, you like the Proto?  The idea of a short starter makes sense.  I use the Geissele starter for the gas block.  Maybe it is a crutch for the less shop inclined, but it works well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like them.  Do I use them on every roll pin, no, but I like to have options.  I drove out the two roll pins that hold the trigger assembly in a Ruger American rifle the other day and a strait punch was better to get the pins started but the Proto punches being longer was needed to finish due to the length of the pin.  I find that Proto punches damage pins less if they are hard to drive or if the punch to pin fit isn't 100%.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#25]
These are probably less likely to bend than standard roll pin punches.

Amazon Product
  • The SRS7 is designed to start the difficult roll spring/pins in motion without causing any damage to the pins or punch
  • The SHORT shaft provides more control; putting your hand closer to the pin, so you don't bend a finishing punch
  • Made from quality 5/16 Hex stock

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top