Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 5:30:16 PM EDT
So on the PSA 308 I am building, all is well except the bolt catch is not catching so well.
It clears fine but upon an empty mag condition on when trying to manipulate it manually, it partially catches and barely holds but will let the bolt
fly if bumped, its that close.
Broke it down and looked it over and noticed that on two different bolts I have, the actual face of the BCG is so small that the catch just barely engages it.
I looked at some of my typical ar-15's and noticed there was a lot more surface area to catch on the bolt face.
Seems like there should be as much, or more on an ar-10.

Like I said if I hold it my hand and try to mate the two surfaces up together, there is barely any surface available on the bolt face and I have tried it with two different brand BCGs and they are both the same.

Its like these 308 bolts are all the same.
It looked like to me if I took the bolt catch and slightly modded it to file a small radius in the middle of the catch, it would fit up with the round part of the bolt a little bit better and allow the flat surface of the catch to better mate up with it.

OR more radical, I could take the face of the bolt carrier down a little to create more surface area for the catch to contact but this would be shortening the BCG by a few thousands and might affect it when in battery causing over travel of the firing pin?? Not sure.
Please comment guys, and yes this is a PSA set up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
none of you guys have any info on or opinions on this?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Check your bolt catch is operating freely and that your magazine is good. (as in the catch isn't binding during installation). Grease it if you have to.

DO NOT under any circumstance shave the bolt face!!! You will create a dangerous headspace condition doing this.

Also make sure your rifle isn't short stroking either.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
none of you guys have any info on or opinions on this?
View Quote
Are you talking about an AR-10 or something else?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you running an .308 AR bolt catch, or an AR-15 version?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you running an .308 AR bolt catch, or an AR-15 version?
View Quote
Came to post this-the two are quite different.
If you are running a 10 platform catch, try a different manufacturers bolt catch
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Came to post this-the two are quite different.
If you are running a 10 platform catch, try a different manufacturers bolt catch
View Quote
Start here.  I have received PSA kits with the wrong bolt catch.  Both AR-15 catches in AR-308 kits and vice versa.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
PSA says a few of their AR10 parts are not interchangeable with other brands.  Specifically the bolt catch, pivot pin, and takedown pin, if my memory is correct.
Consider purchasing the bolt catch from PSA designed to fit their lower...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top