Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 5:32:30 PM EDT
Looking for a decent bench vise.  Any recommendations of ones too look at and ones to stay away from?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
vise
I have 2 of these, they are great for gunsmithing
I also use them for holding iron that I'm grinding or drilling on
I've been very pleased with them
if I needed anything more heavy duty I'd look at other Irwin vises
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with the next larger size up. It is what we used in the shop. This vise has both horizontal AND vertical rotation capability. This allows you to hold guns, parts, pipe, lumber and just about anything else in any orientation you may need. Also being heavier duty, you will have better holding ability. The light duty vises are okay for hobbyist work, but this is a buy once, cry once situation atleast for me. Better to have MORE ass in the vise and not need it etc etc. The extra $$ for the step up will pay for itself in the long run. jmtcw

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-5-in-Multi-Purpose-Vise/50168505
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Try and find a Columbian brand vise. They're very well made and can typically be found cheap on the secondary market since they're not as well known as Wilton. I typically see them on Ebay for $50 or so.

ETA: Just looked it up and it looks like Wilton now owns Columbian vises (maybe they always did?)
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the same mounted on an Inline Fabrication quick change. It has worked well for everything I've needed it for.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
vise
I have 2 of these, they are great for gunsmithing
I also use them for holding iron that I'm grinding or drilling on
I've been very pleased with them
if I needed anything more heavy duty I'd look at other Irwin vises
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Garage sale Wilton.  

I don't have a Wilton.  I bought a 4" jaw American vise that is old than I am.  Now if I can find those miserable bolts and nuts and washers that I bought to bolt it down.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
... or you can get a really good vice and never experience any of the O-Shit moments you'll suffer with some crapola $79 vise from Harbor Freight or the likes.

Glacern Machine Tool GSV-550
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
... or you can get a really good vice and never experience any of the O-Shit moments you'll suffer with some crapola $79 vise from Harbor Freight or the likes.

Glacern Machine Tool GSV-550
View Quote
Not sure I'd want to use a mill vise as a bench vise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why not? If you're doing it on your milling machine it's handy and they don't slip as they're designed to handle a lot of sideway forces. I use mine for gunsmithing work but I admit I would love it if I could clamp tapered barrel easier.

My milling machine also makes a handy platform for gunsmithing work because it's heavy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
What can't it do or how would it be less effective than GP vise? I've been using one for years and haven't found a situation that it couldn't handle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why not? If you're doing it on your milling machine it's handy and they don't slip as they're designed to handle a lot of sideway forces. I use mine for gunsmithing work but I admit I would love it if I could clamp tapered barrel easier.

My milling machine also makes a handy platform for gunsmithing work because it's heavy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Since the OP is asking about a bench vise, I assume he's looking for that type of vise for a reason such as not having a mill. Weight shouldn't be a major concern since a bench vise should be bolted to the bench and bench bolted to the floor and/or wall.

Quoted:
What can't it do or how would it be less effective than GP vise? I've been using one for years and haven't found a situation that it couldn't handle.
Biggest reason for me is because they have such shallow throats which limits the part sizes unless you get into special setups or get a massively large mill vise, which I'd imagine would make most homegamers shudder at the price. Other things on a bench vise, like the rear anvil, I use almost daily. Other bench vises have things like swiveling jaws and specialty clamps. I suppose you could just bang on the back of a mill vise for an anvil, but it's not designed to take that kind of force. Moral of the story is use the right tool for the intended job.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm just looking for a reliable bench vise that will work for gunsmithing and basic home improvement work.

Definitely not going to pay $400 for a vise!

Found a 5" Wilton on Amazon for $63.  Not sure if  4" will do or not???
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm just looking for a reliable bench vise that will work for gunsmithing and basic home improvement work.

Definitely not going to pay $400 for a vise!

Found a 5" Wilton on Amazon for $63.  Not sure if  4" will do or not???
View Quote
A $63 Wilton is definitely going to be Chinese made, but I would hope the factory is held to a higher standard in order to bear the Wilton name (no personal experience, though). If the gunsmithing you're going to be doing is light assembly work (like AR lowers/uppers) and such, then it should be fine. If you plan on really wrenching on it, fabricating/beating parts into submission it will probably eventually break. But it doesn't sound like that's what you're going to be doing. Always get the largest vise that you can handle/have bench space for. You can always get a smaller vise for delicate work.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd probably go for this 6.5" Yost vise. They have a pretty good reputation for an import vise:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AGG4DW/ref=dp_cerb_2?th=1

ETA: When you click that link make sure you go to the "other sellers" part and choose Amazon as they have the best price. If you have Amazon Prime it's even better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#15]
You don't have to spend 400 dollars on a milline vise, 100 dollars is about right for a decent quality import vise. Say what you will but they are good enough for most things. Other than the shallower clamping depth they are great for working on gun parts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd probably go for this 6.5" Yost vise. They have a pretty good reputation for an import vise:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AGG4DW/ref=dp_cerb_2?th=1

ETA: When you click that link make sure you go to the "other sellers" part and choose Amazon as they have the best price. If you have Amazon Prime it's even better.
View Quote
Looking at it, thanks!  I have a Prime, too, so just under $100.

Would you go Yost over a similar size Walton?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an old Wilton.

Old enough my grandfather used it for many years.

I also have a fancy metal working vice that tilts, pivots, rotates, spins, etc.

No name marking on it but it is old.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Looking at it, thanks!  I have a Prime, too, so just under $100.

Would you go Yost over a similar size Walton?
View Quote
Hard to say as I've never used either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top