Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2017 8:12:12 PM EDT
I have never bedded a rifle myself, and in my eagerness to have my new Manners stock operational, I paid a gunsmith to do it. The shop came highly recommended.

The result is functional and the rifle seems to shoot tight groups, but I'm not completely satisfied with the bedding job because the barrel sits ever so slightly off center of the stock channel. The cost was brutally expensive and I expected better.

I want to remove the bedding and start over. Between heat or solvents, I prefer using heat. I have experience stripping a lot of paint off household wood trim with a heat gun.

Have you used heat to remove bedding compound? How did it go and what advice would you offer?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Leave it alone and shoot it
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Cured epoxy is inert to all common solvents.
View Quote

Slightly warmed MEK attacks it.
Hot water warmed.

We used it for years to dissolve epoxy based potting compound.

If you left it for to long it dissolved the epoxy in the PC board material leaving fiberglass and copper only.

It also dissolved plenty of part coating that was epoxy based.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leave it alone and shoot it
View Quote
Yeah, probably the right answer.

Will write more this evening.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I tried MEK on Hysol 9410 adhesive many moons past and got absolutely nowhere.  But I am interested in giving it another try on common unfilled 5 and 30 minute epoxies.
View Quote
It needs to be warmed to about 140 F.

The 'trick' was the warming.

We used it under a fume hood since it boils at about 175 F so there is a lot of vapor pressure (evaporation) at 140 F.

MEK is easy to ignite but the explosive range is around 1% to 11% in air.

At home outdoors would be a good idea, maybe with even a fan blowing towards it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the gunsmiths I knew that built bedded Match rifles removed the old epoxy when doing a rebuild.
They all used mechanical means.  Specifically a coarse cutter bit in a flex shaft or Dremel tool.

Note that grinding stones and the typical Dremel type carbide burrs usually won't do.
Stones load up and stop working, the carbide bits tend to heat up and start melting instead of cutting.

I think most of them used specialty toothed cutters similar to these:

Cutter bits

The bits for wood and rubber are the ones.  These have very coarse teeth that eat into softer materials fast.

Wear a respirator, epoxy fumes are not good to inhale.  Also, these make a real mess from the snow-like shavings of epoxy, so keep a shop vac handy to hold the mess down so you can see the work area.

Do this in a well-braced position so the bit can't "run away" and start cutting wood.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Like I said earlier, the rifle shoots fine. But there is a level of craftsmanship missing that I would have done myself, except I have never bedded an action before and the stock was a brand new Manners T2A @ $850 or so. I was referred to "the place" to get the bedding done, which cost $260. That's damn bloody expensive, and now I have $1110 into a stock. That's unconscionable, but that's the precision game.

You know how you buy something and really want to like it but someone jacks it up and now you don't like the thing nearly as much? That's where I am. I'll get over it, and maybe learn how to bed my own action from this experience. I'll have all winter soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I bed my own rifles, for better or worse, because I'm cheap, and just want something that works.

But if I had paid someone $260 to bed a rifle into an $850 stock, I would expect, and demand, top quality work.

Your smith has proved he can make the rifle shoot, I'd ask him to make look right too.

He want's to work at that level and have a good reputation, he should make you happy.

If I was going to remove the bedding, I would be hesitant to use a solvent, any solvent capable of dissolving cured epoxy runs the risk of damaging the stock as well.

Seems mechanical means as recommended would be safer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
A milling machine would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wish. I wonder if Manners provides that service. Just chuck the stock back into the original fixture and buzz shave the receiver channel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wish. I wonder if Manners provides that service. Just chuck the stock back into the original fixture and buzz shave the receiver channel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wood cutting bits for a hand tool would be most suitable.

I routinely use them to remove epoxy squeeze out in a Foredom tool.

The tooth pitch and angle works well.

An aluminum cutter has similar characteristics.

I use aluminum cutters on wood in my mill.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wood cutting bits for a hand tool would be most suitable.

I routinely use them to remove epoxy squeeze out in a Foredom tool.

The tooth pitch and angle works well.

An aluminum cutter has similar characteristics.

I use aluminum cutters on wood in my mill.
View Quote
Would you please post the bit(s)?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top