Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 1:11:44 AM EDT
I have an old drill press, it has sort of oscillated, like the top of a drill bit gos in a circle, for as long as I've owned it. At one time years ago I read about knocking the Chuck off with a sledge and rotating it 180°, I did that and it helped (not perfect). Recently the Chuck fell off and I re installed it with red lock tight, but I guess I got it wrong, as it oscillates real bad. If I put the bit in a jig hole without clamping the jig down the jig moves around about a quarter inch.
I'm wondering if I could just hit it with a sledge sideways to true it? This is a big old drill press I have had for about 20 years, I paid quite a bit for it and I'm probably not going to be using it much any more, but I have a couple projects I need to finish and I'm tempted to buy a new smaller press for $100~ locally. No guarantee that'll even be true.
ETA: I hope this is ok to post this in the gun smithing forum, didn't know where else to post and I do use it almost exclusively on guns.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:48:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd knock the chuck off and use a dial indicator to check the arbor. It may be bent, have a gouge or burr, or loose bearings.

If the arbor runs true the problem is probably the chuck. Some nicer chucks can be rebuilt using a rebuild kit. Worn chuck jaws can cause runnout issues. Or just replace the chuck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top