[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikev101] [#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sir_Peter] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3-gun:

Colt 20

Thanks, I was asking about the original Colt OEM 20rd magazines. I'm thinking at one time they were north of a 100.00. I bought three the other day of GB for 140.00 tax and shipped. I'm thinking that was a great deal.
Craig

That sounds about right

when I bought mine, many many years ago I had looked for a few more Colt 20 rounders and I think I found a few at $75

passed on them as I had gotten a deal on 32 rounders for about $35 each - wished I had gotten more of those 32's at that time for the price

Metals Forms are awesome and were made for the colt's - wished I had also bought more of those when I found them at $25

well, live and learn
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
A pestilence upon the earth, further removed by the handy Colt AR9. There are arguably better choices for pit viper removal, but it was it's turn in rotation for a walkabout.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gqllc:

Mine takes a Colt 9mm mag not an Uzi mag
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gqllc:
Originally Posted By d4xycrq:
Is that a UZI mag, the rifle takes?

Mine takes a Colt 9mm mag not an Uzi mag

Vm used to make a magwell that takes unmodded uzi mags. I have one. I bought it when used uzi mags were about $5 ea.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:51:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cwm1150] [#6]
Here is an old pic of mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 3:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner] [#7]
@mike_nds...

Does that mean we can expect some 9MM H&R carbines and uppers soon?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]
H&R lower, Colt upper and barrel. I shortened the barrel and pinned the flash hider on for 16.1.  It lines up with the bayonet really well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't own a Colt 9mm, I used a CMMG lower and Fulton Armory 601 upper.

Here it is when I first built it as a pistol

Attachment Attached File

I didn't feel like messing with a Form 1 (even the free ones) so I pinned and welded a fake XM177 flash hider to the 10.5" Rock River barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I don't own a Colt 9mm, I used a CMMG lower and Fulton Armory 601 upper.

Here it is when I first built it as a pistol

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/AR9_SMG_clone_jpg-2923009.JPG

I didn't feel like messing with a Form 1 (even the free ones) so I pinned and welded a fake XM177 flash hider to the 10.5" Rock River barrel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/XM177_9mm_jpg-2923012.JPG
View Quote

I dig the XM/GAU look though.  Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BoRdErBaCoN:

I dig the XM/GAU look though.  Pretty cool.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: houlster] [#13]
Built around a CMMG barrel/BCG...

Trying to circumvent google photos here... lemme know if it works.

Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Seldom shoot this now that I have a 2 stamp MPX

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Sir_Peter:

Colt 20

Thanks, I was asking about the original Colt OEM 20rd magazines. I'm thinking at one time they were north of a 100.00. I bought three the other day of GB for 140.00 tax and shipped. I'm thinking that was a great deal.
Craig

That sounds about right

when I bought mine, many many years ago I had looked for a few more Colt 20 rounders and I think I found a few at $75

passed on them as I had gotten a deal on 32 rounders for about $35 each - wished I had gotten more of those 32's at that time for the price

Metals Forms are awesome and were made for the colt's - wished I had also bought more of those when I found them at $25

well, live and learn
View Quote

PSA has had the Metalforms in stock.  I've previously bought the PSA marked Metalforms for $20 each, and in their store the other day (within the past  month probably), they had H&R marked Metalforms for that same price.  I bought a few more.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:46:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: davestoll] [#16]
Originally Posted By Stan_TheGunNut:

PSA has had the Metalforms in stock.  I've previously bought the PSA marked Metalforms for $20 each, and in their store the other day (within the past  month probably), they had H&R marked Metalforms for that same price.  I bought a few more.

View Quote

The H&R magazines look more like ASC magazines. They are also marked "9MM SS" and the follower is the same except for being black instead orange.

ETA: H&R 9MM 32 Round Magazine
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Sir_Peter:

Colt 20

Craig

That sounds about right

well, live and learn
View Quote

I got a couple of the metal form 20rd mags back when they were $25. I didn’t like that they were blued so I had them parkerized.  Some of my favorite mags for sure!
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:06:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tep0583] [#18]
Mine. Had it for years now. Think it's time for a new barrel, though. Getting weird flyers in my groups lately and switching to another red dot and then to irons isn't solving the problem.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe a really good cleaning. I didn’t know you could shoot out a pistol barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:36:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tep0583] [#20]
Maybe a really good cleaning. I didn’t know you could shoot out a pistol barrel.
View Quote

I didn't either, but a good cleaning ain't doing it, either, and I'm not that bad a shot...

It used to shoot well and I can't find anything loose, so I'm at a loss for anything else.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
Over torqued 1/2x28 muzzle devices on 9mm barrels can induce issues with the thin barrel wall.
View Quote
They sure can since the barrel is so thin at the muzzle. There is only 0.080" material between the bore diameter and the major thread pitch diameter on barrels threaded 1/2" 36. I used an end mill and only plunge cut 0.040" when I pinned and welded an extended XM style flash suppressor on my 10.5" barrel.

I definitely do NOT recommend someone trying to do a pin and weld job on a 9mm barrel with a drill press and drill bit. There is a good chance of blowing the hole out into the bore.

I can't understand why Colt originally went with 1/2" threads or why everyone has copied and stuck with 1/2" threads on 9mm barrels. Most manufacturers use 5/8" 24 threads for 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, and 300 BO. And all of those calibers use a smaller diameter bullet than 9mm does.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:17:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#23]
Colts newest model 9MM, I know a lot of people don't like the machine marks were the forward assist and the shell deflector were removed. Looks like a standard Cage Code upper modified for 9MM use.

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By davestoll:

The H&R magazines look more like ASC magazines. They are also marked "9MM SS" and the follower is the same except for being black instead orange.

View All Quotes

I stand corrected.  Thank you for educating me.  My older PSA mags look like the Colt mags that that I have.  The new H&R ones are a bit different externally and the follower is different.  I made an assumption.  Apologies.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#25]

I stand corrected.  Thank you for educating me.  My older PSA mags look like the Colt mags that that I have.  The new H&R ones are a bit different externally and the follower is different.  I made an assumption.  Apologies.
View All Quotes

The older PSA Colt mags were MetalForm mags. Same with the Brownells Colt mags. It doesn't surprise me if PSA/H&R switched to ASC.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#26]
This my version and one of my favorites. Cut down to 12.7 with a proper CAR muzzle device p/wd.
All Colt except for that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Will a bayonet fit on that correctly?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Will a bayonet fit on that correctly?
View Quote
No it won't. The XM177 muzzle devices are bigger in diameter than the A1 or A2 flash hiders so the M7 or M9 bayonets will not fit.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 3:11:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By tex762:
This my version and one of my favorites. Cut down to 12.7 with a proper CAR muzzle device p/wd.
All Colt except for that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81858/20230904_223529-2943321.jpg
View Quote

I like that.  I've got a soft spot for the commando profile.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

I didn't either, but a good cleaning ain't doing it, either, and I'm not that bad a shot...

It used to shoot well and I can't find anything loose, so I'm at a loss for anything else.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tep0583:

Just an update. Removed the barrel to inspect and prepare to replace it. Had a friend want to try it so I put it back together and it shot just fine.

No more wandering zero.

Guess you can't shoot them out but I'll be damned if I know what removing and reinstalling the barrel did.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:36:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Was the barrel nut loose?  Since there is no gas tube, the barrel nut could have worked loose. Original Colt 9mm barrels were chrome lined. Since even 115 gr. 9mm would go around 1/3 the speed of 5.56X45, it would take several 10s of thousands of rounds to wear out a Colt 9mm chrome lined barrel.

Garrison Manufacturing was the one who made the Colt DOE retro hand guard caps and front sight bases. I had them modify a Colt 16" upper to original DOE specs and add his hand guard cap with a FSB. I found a couple sets of mint M231 hand guards. I spent $200 for each set from two different sellers. I was second in line for the first set, so I made a deal with another member here for another set. I had just received the second set when the first guy messaged me that the first buyer flated out. So I bought the first set also. I can only imagine what a set of those hand guards would bring today.

I have thought about building an updated version with a CMMG  RDB system and a 3-lug barrel. Maybe get the bolt group NP3 coated. It is not very retro but a Tubbs flat wire spring and a hydraulic buffer with the 5 lb push back does smooth out the all-at-once recoil of the Colt blowback system somewhat, for those that care.

Scott
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By canon3825:
Was the barrel nut loose?  Since there is no gas tube, the barrel nut could have worked loose. Original Colt 9mm barrels were chrome lined. Since even 115 gr. 9mm would go around 1/3 the speed of 5.56X45, it would take several 10s of thousands of rounds to wear out a Colt 9mm chrome lined barrel.

Garrison Manufacturing was the one who made the Colt DOE retro hand guard caps and front sight bases. I had them modify a Colt 16" upper to original DOE specs and add his hand guard cap with a FSB. I found a couple sets of mint M231 hand guards. I spent $200 for each set from two different sellers. I was second in line for the first set, so I made a deal with another member here for another set. I had just received the second set when the first guy messaged me that the first buyer flated out. So I bought the first set also. I can only imagine what a set of those hand guards would bring today.

I have thought about building an updated version with a CMMG  RDB system and a 3-lug barrel. Maybe get the bolt group NP3 coated. It is not very retro but a Tubbs flat wire spring and a hydraulic buffer with the 5 lb push back does smooth out the all-at-once recoil of the Colt blowback system somewhat, for those that care.

Scott
View Quote

No, it was damn right.

Link Posted: 11/8/2023 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah! Just ordered an upper from PSA!  Been waiting patiently since they were first announced.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#35]
10.5" uppers are live now
View Quote

Any chance we'll see any with Manganese Phosphate coated/Chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#37]
No plans to.
View Quote

Will there be any of the upper receivers (not the barreled uppers) available soon? I signed up for the notifications but curious how long I should expect to be waiting?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Yeah I know but OOS that's why I was asking if any more are expected any time soon?
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Merkava:
Yeah! Just ordered an upper from PSA!  Been waiting patiently since they were first announced.
View Quote

Same here. If I ever decide to pin and weld, which flash hider should I get to be legal?
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:42:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner] [#42]
Ano brought some over late last night. Probably replenish this afternoon around 4est
View Quote
Awesome. Thanks!

@mike_nds
ETA - they were early, got the e-mail at 3:32est! lol

Got my order in! Thanks again
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 6:42:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AVP123] [#44]
Purchased last month. My brother decided to shoot PCC in IDPA so I bought this to join him.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I have two Colt 9mm's. An LE6991 factory SBR and a R0635 factory SMG.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:24:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#47]

That would be neat - but nope.  Mine takes Colt carbine magazines.

I have a few from C-Products that I picked up as well - but I've never used them.  They appear solid though.
View Quote

The cost of adding a dozen dedicated Colt magazines is the reason I don't have one of these.  Periodically I'm tempted to pick one up when I see them listed under $1000, but I already have so much money in magazines that only work in one gun it gives me pause to add yet another.  First world problems ... logistical nightmare ... because I own too many cool hobby guns.

HOWEVER, I still want one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Agghhh ... the magic and beauty of the 3rd pin ...
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

The cost of adding a dozen dedicated Colt magazines is the reason I don't have one of these.  Periodically I'm tempted to pick one up when I see them listed under $1000, but I already have so much money in magazines that only work in one gun it gives me pause to add yet another.  First world problems ... logistical nightmare ... because I own too many cool hobby guns.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

That would be neat - but nope.  Mine takes Colt carbine magazines.

I have a few from C-Products that I picked up as well - but I've never used them.  They appear solid though.

Hard to beat a Colt 9mm. They just work.
All I did was a cmc trigger and a Macon armory dead blow buffer. Mags are not bad if you catch them on sale and buy 3-4 at a time.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top