Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, hope you don't me me posting so much in your thread.

This is how it is now set up. Still playing with configuration.

A quick test fire in the ditch tells me it has the same "problem" with my full laquer removed reloads as my 5.7 pistol does. It won't extract and eject the first round in a cold chamber.

It ran the rest of the mag fine as well as a few with laquer in tact on a second mag. No problem but the one mentioned, and that is on me.

The trigger is much nice when actually shooting it. Feels decent and light. Reset is a little long, but again, not noticed as much when shooting it.

There is next to no recoil and it is so much quiter than the pistol...which makes sense.

The mag release is nice. It is different, but works great.

Need to add a QD brass catcher mount and will be good for a wile.

Does the 512C Holosun look too big? I have other options.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3591/20220902_175139_jpg-2512268.JPG
View Quote

That 512C doesn't look bad at all on it. I was thinking of grabbing the LC and putting the Holosun AMES on it. Sttil in that "thinking about it" mode.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That 512C doesn't look bad at all on it. I was thinking of grabbing the LC and putting the Holosun AMES on it. Sttil in that "thinking about it" mode.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, hope you don't me me posting so much in your thread.

This is how it is now set up. Still playing with configuration.

A quick test fire in the ditch tells me it has the same "problem" with my full laquer removed reloads as my 5.7 pistol does. It won't extract and eject the first round in a cold chamber.

It ran the rest of the mag fine as well as a few with laquer in tact on a second mag. No problem but the one mentioned, and that is on me.

The trigger is much nice when actually shooting it. Feels decent and light. Reset is a little long, but again, not noticed as much when shooting it.

There is next to no recoil and it is so much quiter than the pistol...which makes sense.

The mag release is nice. It is different, but works great.

Need to add a QD brass catcher mount and will be good for a wile.

Does the 512C Holosun look too big? I have other options.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3591/20220902_175139_jpg-2512268.JPG

The AMES would look very "at home" on this gun.

I have a spare 512C, a 507C with cheapo mount and an older H3503GU with AD qd mount. I will try em all.

If I go LPVO, I have to take one off a different gun. Which I am not sure I want to do. I also don't want it to get too heavy, or it takes away from thr point of it
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Holy cow, I just had a great idea!

Why has no one made an M1 Carbine in 5.7?

Steve
View Quote

Well, something similar was done MANY years ago in an effort to keep the M-1 Carbine relevant. It was the " 5.7 Johnson carbine" which was a necked down .30 carbine case to 5.7mm.  They were sold but never got very popular. There are discussions on this site talking about it.
Johnson 5.7 carbine

Years ago I wanted one but never ran across one and I moved on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
This Ruger is "interesting". Some don't like the look but I think you really need to hold one in your hands and see how it feels. The magazine in the grip is clearly the way to go. This makes for a much more compact and balanced firearm. My CX-4 in 9mm with the mag-in-grip feels like a toy in your hands as its so light and balanced. I imagine this Ruger is much the same. My CX-4 even with the 16" barrel seems so small next to an 9mm AR or any other rifle with a standard magazine placement ahead of the grip. I really wish my CZ Scorpion had been designed that way to reduce its size.

I am a major fan of PCC's and have a small collection of them. BUt, the two things that will keep me from buying this Ruger are:  

#1 The availability and cost of ammo.     I have "a few" 9mm carbines and its easy and affordable to reload for them. 5.7....not so easy or cheap.

#2  The cost of this Ruger.   KYGUNCO, our big local dealer and one who historically been very good on pricing, has them at full tilt MSRP. They even inflate the MSRP to over a grand and then imply they are giving you a cash discount to get it down to $979. NO...will pass.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This Ruger is "interesting". Some don't like the look but I think you really need to hold one in your hands and see how it feels. The magazine in the grip is clearly the way to go. This makes for a much more compact and balanced firearm. My CX-4 in 9mm with the mag-in-grip feels like a toy in your hands as its so light and balanced. I imagine this Ruger is much the same. My CX-4 even with the 16" barrel seems so small next to an 9mm AR or any other rifle with a standard magazine placement ahead of the grip. I really wish my CZ Scorpion had been designed that way to reduce its size.

I am a major fan of PCC's and have a small collection of them. BUt, the two things that will keep me from buying this Ruger are:  

#1 The availability and cost of ammo.     I have "a few" 9mm carbines and its easy and affordable to reload for them. 5.7....not so easy or cheap.

#2  The cost of this Ruger.   KYGUNCO, our big local dealer and one who historically been very good on pricing, has them at full tilt MSRP. They even inflate the MSRP to over a grand and then imply they are giving you a cash discount to get it down to $979. NO...will pass.
View Quote

Just based on this thread, it seems like day-one street price is $799. It will probably get a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine was $859.99 out the door with Tax.

Reloading the 5.7 is actually way easier than the original reloaders made it seem.

1. Wash the brass with hot water and a little simple green in a jar and let air dry. This keeps the laquer in tack.

2. If you're looking for just plinking ammo, 4.5 grains of True Blue and a cheap 55 grain FMJ make for a cheap and fun plinking round.

I don't buy factory ammo anymore....yes, it is too expensive. It is coming back around in my town though. It's available and typically $45ish.

Not saying that makes the gun and caliber what you want, but reloading isn't the problem that some used to make it out to be.  

Reloading for the P90 may be a different animal, not sure.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mine was $859.99 out the door with Tax.

Reloading the 5.7 is actually way easier than the original reloaders made it seem.

1. Wash the brass with hot water and a little simple green in a jar and let air dry. This keeps the laquer in tack.

2. If you're looking for just plinking ammo, 4.5 grains of True Blue and a cheap 55 grain FMJ make for a cheap and fun plinking round.

I don't buy factory ammo anymore....yes, it is too expensive. It is coming back around in my town though. It's available and typically $45ish.

Not saying that makes the gun and caliber what you want, but reloading isn't the problem that some used to make it out to be.  

Reloading for the P90 may be a different animal, not sure.
View Quote

Looks like PSA has American Eagle at $35/50 today.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Wonder is something like this had enough clearance between stock rods?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wonder is something like this had enough clearance between stock rods?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3591/Screenshot_20220903-134338_Google_jpg-2513080.JPG
View Quote

That would be cool with a 10” barrel and a shorter hand guard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Someone had one at the gun show this weekend, was surprised to see it.

Felt kind of cheap. Not like "I'm going to break it" cheap but like "there's no way there's a grand of engineering/materials in this thing" cheap.

It almost felt like a Micro-Roni, like Ruger just slapped a chassis on their 5.7 pistol.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]

It looks like a telescoping bolt design. How far back does the barrel go into the receiver? Looks like 8" considering it's basically the same lower receiver as the Ruger 57.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It looks like a telescoping bolt design. How far back does the barrel go into the receiver? Looks like 8" considering it's basically the same lower receiver as the Ruger 57.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, it is a wrap around telescoping bolt...like an UZI.

The barrel goes into the receiver 5".

Pics for fun.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Overall length when folded:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I was about to post about the price of ammo

But this is a lot less than I expected

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, something similar was done MANY years ago in an effort to keep the M-1 Carbine relevant. It was the " 5.7 Johnson carbine" which was a necked down .30 carbine case to 5.7mm.  They were sold but never got very popular. There are discussions on this site talking about it.
Johnson 5.7 carbine

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy cow, I just had a great idea!

Why has no one made an M1 Carbine in 5.7?

Steve

Johnson 5.7 carbine

My wallet would catch on fire so fast if a major manufacturer took up a correct M1 carbine in 5.7 FN.

I thought the 5.7 Johnson/.22 Spitfire concept was pretty cool but the wildcat nature of it was a turn off for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]

I see, I see. About how much barrel is it from the bolt face to the end of the first MLOK section? About 10"? Seems like if you chopped it there you'd have enough room to mount some nick-nacks. What does that front handguard screw into, something like a receiver extension or tabs? Can it be removed in it's entirety without adversely affecting the function of the gun? I'm having thoughts of SBR-ing one and deleting the handguard entirely, or for Midwest Industires to come out with a shorty handguard for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I see, I see. About how much barrel is it from the bolt face to the end of the first MLOK section? About 10"? Seems like if you chopped it there you'd have enough room to mount some nick-nacks. What does that front handguard screw into, something like a receiver extension or tabs? Can it be removed in it's entirety without adversely affecting the function of the gun? I'm having thoughts of SBR-ing one and deleting the handguard entirely, or for Midwest Industires to come out with a shorty handguard for it.
View Quote

With MI’s good work for the 10/22 and the Ruger PC, I bet they are working OT for ideas for this gun if it takes off. And they always make great stuff. Always under-rated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:34:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I had my local fun store on the look out for one for myself.

Called on Friday and it was there. Before I got to the store they had sold one before I picked up mine.

I paid about 30 buck less than the other posted for price.

It ergos are good and it is light. My daughter can hold it up with out getting the backwards lean when holding it up aiming at the back fence. So that is a good thing.

Looking for a red dot and then to the range to shoot i a bit.

Only downside right now is that it is not fitting the bag that I wanted to use for it. :(
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, if you cut the handguard just past the first full size MLOK slot a 10" barrel would stick just past. Doesn't look like a clean spot to cut the handguard without cutting through a partial hole/slot. If that makes sense.

The hansguard is held in by 3 screws, not sure what it is screwing into just yet. Haven't stripped it down at this point.

Agreed, it would make a nice SBR.

The gun with its stock unfolded is currently almost the same OAL as my 10.5" AR SBR with a magpul CTR and. LAW folder.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had my local fun store on the look out for one for myself.

Called on Friday and it was there. Before I got to the store they had sold one before I picked up mine.

I paid about 30 buck less than the other posted for price.

It ergos are good and it is light. My daughter can hold it up with out getting the backwards lean when holding it up aiming at the back fence. So that is a good thing.

Looking for a red dot and then to the range to shoot i a bit.

Only downside right now is that it is not fitting the bag that I wanted to use for it. :(
View Quote

Good score! I hope you like yours as much as I like mine....granted I only have about 20rds through it and no accuracy testing yet, but I am hopeful.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, if you cut the handguard just past the first full size MLOK slot a 10" barrel would stick just past. Doesn't look like a clean spot to cut the handguard without cutting through a partial hole/slot. If that makes sense.

The hansguard is held in by 3 screws, not sure what it is screwing into just yet. Haven't stripped it down at this point.

The gun with its stock unfolded is currently almost the same OAL as my 10.5" AR SBR with a magpul CTR and. LAW folder.
View Quote
Based on the available exploded diagram in the online owner's manual; it looks like the handguard attaches to the trunnion in the front of the receiver. I really hope that someone makes a handguard just long enough to cover the trunnion with a section of pic rail that extends back under the receiver. With a cut and threaded barrel that should give you something resembling a 6ish" sbr.

also, post away @HK_DUDE lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The AMES would look very "at home" on this gun.

I have a spare 512C, a 507C with cheapo mount and an older H3503GU with AD qd mount. I will try em all.

If I go LPVO, I have to take one off a different gun. Which I am not sure I want to do. I also don't want it to get too heavy, or it takes away from thr point of it
View Quote

Well look at that, I missed that boat.Thank you for the information.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#22]
What is the velocity increase over a handgun like the ruger or fn?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Based on the available exploded diagram in the online owner's manual; it looks like the handguard attaches to the trunnion in the front of the receiver. I really hope that someone makes a handguard just long enough to cover the trunnion with a section of pic rail that extends back under the receiver. With a cut and threaded barrel that should give you something resembling a 6ish" sbr.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be in for that.

Like others has said..maybe they will make a "Charger 57" and it would be much easier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What is the velocity increase over a handgun like the ruger or fn?
View Quote

If I get a chance, I will use my old chrony to get some numbers on both my 57 pistol and the carbine. I would guess...that it should be quite substantial.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#25]

The Beretta CX4's barrel is also inside it's bolt a number of inches.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Picked one up yesterday.
It was $830 all together with tax.
Already have the pistol and the psa.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Picked one up yesterday.
It was $830 all together with tax.
Already have the pistol and the psa.
View Quote

Good score. Pics of how you set it up please.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#28]
It's stock.
I haven't messed with it.
I was incoherently saying I have the Ruger 57 pistol and the PSA 5.7 chambered pistol.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#29]
The reviews of the ruger 5.7 pistol mags aren't great.  Is that valid?  It would be a concern for me in picking one of these up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The reviews of the ruger 5.7 pistol mags aren't great.  Is that valid?  It would be a concern for me in picking one of these up.
View Quote

I haven't had any magazine related issues. Have 7 mags now and have ran maybe 400 rounds through my 5.7 Pistol. Only fired about 40 through the carbine thus far.

I can say I'm not a fan of the extension that I added to one of the mags. It seems to load a bit odd, and doesn't give me confidence at all. I will probably take it off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm really hoping for two things,

1. Factory Ruger 30 round mags.
2. Pistol version with maybe 10-12" barrel.

I do have a Ruger 57 so I'm sure I'll end up with one of these either way, cool little carbine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm really hoping for two things,

1. Factory Ruger 30 round mags.
2. Pistol version with maybe 10-12" barrel.

I do have a Ruger 57 so I'm sure I'll end up with one of these either way, cool little carbine.
View Quote

I am in! I would still buy a "Charger version" if they were to make one.

I did a company making a 35rd mag, but they are only pre-order now.....supposed to be shipping March.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I am in! I would still buy a "Charger version" if they were to make one.

I did a company making a 35rd mag, but they are only pre-order now.....supposed to be shipping March.
View Quote

Who's the company? Would love to get on a preorder even if it's several months away!
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I know nothing about them..came up in a Google search.

35rd Mags
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I know nothing about them..came up in a Google search.

35rd Mags
View Quote

Keep us updated on the mags.

I am still looking for a red dot for this one that I like.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Keep us updated on the mags.

I am still looking for a red dot for this one that I like.
View Quote

For the pistol? I found custom adaptor plates on Amazon of all places, made for other optic foot prints. I kind of partial to Holoson and I saw one available.

Here’s one, not Amazon.
https://gallowayprecision.com/optic-mount-plate-for-ruger-57-pistols
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Honestly its just a nicer looking hipiont carbine, minus the pot metal.

I want one
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Got to the range today. Only shot it at 25 yards.

Sighted it in with my 55 grain FMJ reloads. Functioned perfect and seems to be very accurate. Almost no recoil.

Didn't shoot any groups really, just got it on target and shot the crap out of my 4" spinner at 25 yards. They all seem to land ontop of each other.

Very fun.

I may change the metal MI stock out to an AR style folder. I am going to see if Ruger will sell me another folder like the one that came on this one...I stole it and put it on my new PC chassis carbine.

Pics of current setup. I love how low I can mount the reddot. It's a relatively inexpensive Swampfox Kingslayer. I have 2 and like them....they do mostly what my holosons do, at 2/3 the price.

I have it folding to the right. I don't plan to shot it folded ever, and this way I don't hit the hinge with my nose.

Added: The 2 items on the top rail are a qd sling mount and a qd brass catcher mount.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got to the range today. Only shot it at 25 yards.

Sighted it in with my 55 grain FMJ reloads. Functioned perfect and seems to be very accurate. Almost no recoil.

Didn't shoot any groups really, just got it on target and shot the crap out of my 4" spinner at 25 yards. They all seem to land ontop of each other.

Very fun.

I may change the metal MI stock out to an AR style folder. I am going to see if Ruger will sell me another folder like the one that came on this one...I stole it and put it on my new PC chassis carbine.

Pics of current setup. I love how low I can mount the reddot. It's a relatively inexpensive Swampfox Kingslayer. I have 2 and like them....they do mostly what my holosons do, at 2/3 the price.

I have it folding to the right. I don't plan to shot it folded ever, and this way I don't hit the hinge with my nose.

Added: The 2 items on the top rail are a qd sling mount and a qd brass catcher mount.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3591/20220913_171754_jpg-2525199.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3591/20220913_171734_jpg-2525200.JPG
View Quote

Very nice! I'm looking forward to adding one of these to the safe.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

More in regards to this:

I used 5 factory mags today with about 5 different home brew loads (most I no longer load) and even though the rounds got a little "wonky" a few times in the last few rounds loaded...they never skipped a beat.

I didn't use the mag I have with the 5 round extension, that one gets really screwy with more than 20 rounds in it. I am taking the extension off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#41]
I got to handle one the other day.

Grip is plastic the rest is metal and very easy to manipulate.

Paired with the R.-57 and some 30+ round mags and its gtg.

PS. Beretta, this is nice foundation for a CX4 reboot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Unfortunately it looks to be direct blow back
View Quote

While I don't care for 9mm ARs or the Scorpion, not all direct blow backs are bad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Unfortunately it looks to be direct blow back
View Quote

So?  That’s typical for 5.7.  Why would Ruger spend money reinventing the wheel when all the other 5.7 guns use blowback (ever the CMMG RDB is blowback).  It isn’t the same as blowback on 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

729.99 plus shipping, no tax.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:09:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Nice find.

I am going to see if I can get out this weekend and put some rounds down range.

Talked to the local fun store and he mentioned they are not selling as well as he thought they would, they are selling just not flying off the shelves faster than he can put another one up. People are worried about the ammo price and availability. The two things that even on this thread have been brought up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Can they make a carbine that isn't SEVEN POUNDS though?

Don't get me wrong, I desperately want one but its really hard for me to justify a full length rifle of average AR weight that directly competes with 5.56 in the same space. I understand low recoil, but...

Now throw me in a braced Charger 5.7 and I think money will simply fly out of my pocket, but unless you just want, there's barely a case for this.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Can they make a carbine that isn't SEVEN POUNDS though?

Don't get me wrong, I desperately want one but its really hard for me to justify a full length rifle of average AR weight that directly competes with 5.56 in the same space. I understand low recoil, but...

Now throw me in a braced Charger 5.7 and I think money will simply fly out of my pocket, but unless you just want, there's barely a case for this.
View Quote

I understand your point and agree that a charger version would be great...

However, you are exaggerating. It weighs 5.9 pounds and is about the size of a Beretta storm carbine (and much shorter with the stock folded). It does not feel like a 5.56 AR. Just saying:)
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I like the concept and more products hopefully mean more ammo availability, but what advantage does this have vs. an AR upper in 5.7, that takes the orig factory 50rd mags, and costs the same?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#49]
In my opinion....it is just an option for people that like 5.7 and especially for people that like 5.7 and have a Ruger 57 handgun.

Honestly, I don't think it makes a ton of sense otherwise. I doubt this offering will make anyone who already hates 5.7, change their mind.

I would never take it over a 5.56 AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I understand your point and agree that a charger version would be great...

However, you are exaggerating. It weighs 5.9 pounds and is about the size of a Beretta storm carbine (and much shorter with the stock folded). It does not feel like a 5.56 AR. Just saying:)
View Quote

Sorry seven is for the 9mm version. But really, only a pound less for such a light weight round.

Dont get me wrong though. The minute a charger 5.7 comes out im probably throwing money at ruger.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top