Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Mac (Military Arms Channel) has reported similar issues with lancer steel lipped AR mags, when loaded full.

How many rounds were loaded in the German mags.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mac (Military Arms Channel) has reported similar issues with lancer steel lipped AR mags, when loaded full.

View Quote
25 rounds.
Still had issues after being half emptied.
Very hard to push the mag release.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
How is the construction of the German mags compared you US?  Is there a significant improvement?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How is the construction of the German mags compared you US?  Is there a significant improvement?
View Quote
Other than some words and a bullet shape with .45 in the center they are identical.
When @CavScout suggested buying the steel feed lip mags from HK parts I assumed the US made versions didn't have steel feed lips.
I never even considered verifying for myself but after you asked about the quality I looked close. US mags have steel feed lips! Verified with a magnet.

Don't waste your money.

German on the left in all photos. Hopefully you can click the image for a larger view.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, just went out and looked and sure enough, metal inserts in the LWRC USA mags.  Neat!!!

Just looked on hkparts and they have updated the description for the USA brand.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The LWRC mounting block is based off our standard SB Tactical sidefolder block design.  The SB Tactical
(And by extension, unless LWRC changed the spec) use a 10-32 fully threaded bolt as the hinge pin.  The B&T stocks use a 3mm or 4mm metric bolt. You will just need to drill out the hole on the stock to just under clearance hole for a 10-32 (you want the threads to bite the plastic slightly for friction in the folded position) and the B&T will work. as i recall a 0.188 dia hole ie  3/16” drill bit will work, maybe start with an 11/64” bit first and if that is tight go to the 3/16” bit.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
I thought it was already confirmed the BT stock would fit right out of the box. So this is not the case?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know if this will work with a binary trigger?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What cheap loader did you get?
View Quote
I was being sarcastic about the "HK" loader for these mags, a $50 hunk of plastic to load them with.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Other than some words and a bullet shape with .45 in the center they are identical.
When @CavScout suggested buying the steel feed lip mags from HK parts I assumed the US made versions didn't have steel feed lips.
I never even considered verifying for myself but after you asked about the quality I looked close. US mags have steel feed lips! Verified with a magnet.

Don't waste your money.

German on the left in all photos. Hopefully you can click the image for a larger view.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/247601/mag1_JPG-1059048.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/247601/mag2_JPG-1059049.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/247601/mag3_JPG-1059051.JPG
View Quote
That is what I did when my US mags came in, test with a magnet because they didn't 'look' like steel to me! Haha it works, steel they are. I am surprised at these German mags. SMH.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is what I did when my US mags came in, test with a magnet because they didn't 'look' like steel to me! Haha it works, steel they are. I am surprised at these German mags. SMH.
View Quote
Your US mags came in after you recommended the steel lip version?
The mags that came with your gun had plastic?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
25 rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

25 rounds.
Some guns are not designed to have a full mag inserted on a closed bolt. Try it with a locked-back bolt and see if it feeds the round properly when you hit the bolt release.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some guns are not designed to have a full mag inserted on a closed bolt. Try it with a locked-back bolt and see if it feeds the round properly when you hit the bolt release.
View Quote
That's what I usually do. Didn't seem to help.
Plus the whole mag release lever issue I mentioned. On the 1st malfunction I thought the mag was jammed in there. Finally used lots more pressure on the lever to release the mag. It was the same each time I tried to remove the mag even without a malfunction.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never tested the stock mags but immediately ordered extra magazine and got the US mags because the HKparts website said they were updated with steel feedlips. I will test the stock mags but my money is on plastic.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
The stock mags that came with it are US mags. US mags have steel feed lips.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#15]
HK Parts is going to send 3 US mags in place of these 2 G mags
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
HK Parts is going to send 3 US mags in place of these 2 G mags
View Quote
Good on them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Are everyone else's takedown pins insanely tight? Mine won't come out unless I hammer them out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine are very tight.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Ordered (5) US 25rd UMP mags from HKParts.  Haven't taken it apart nor shot it yet but trying to take the thread protector off was a PITA.

Link Posted: 8/20/2019 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#20]
What sort of ammo are you planning to use for defense purposes? I am going with +P Federal HST.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting note on the pins,  mine had to be hammered out as well.  Rear is no problem, front is TIGHT.  Also, I had the same issue with the thread protecter, I used a strap wrench to break it loose.

That Holosun looks great.

Is the +P ammo still subsonic?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends on the brand and bullet weight.  My guess is the measurements below were from a 4 to 5 inch handgun.  8.5" barrel on the LWRC SMG 45 may add some fps.

Hornady 45ACP +P 230gr XTP has a muzzle velocity of 950fps.  
Buffalo Bore 45ACP +P 185gr JHP has a muzzle velocity of 1150fps
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#23]
So here is an alternative brace for the SMG-45.

It's a factory B&T stock modified by Custom Smith MFG to accept the Tailhook brace, but it fits and functions fine on the SMG-45.  It also clears the ejection port when folded.

With either brace, I find the OEM Magpul Pro sights too high for my cheekweld.  Maybe some HK 416 sights or Troy Micros would fit the bill.  Even the MRO on a low mount feels a touch too high.  A thin cheekriser would be nice.

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Y2bmgsDh.jpg

It's a factory B&T stock modified by Custom Smith MFG to accept the Tailhook brace, but it fits and functions fine on the SMG-45.  It also clears the ejection port when folded.

With either brace, I find the OEM Magpul Pro sights too high for my cheekweld.  Maybe some HK 416 sights or Troy Micros would fit the bill.  Even the MRO on a low mount feels a touch too high.  A thin cheekriser would be nice.
View Quote
The AR-height sights would be great with a straight-comb stock, but with a drop-comb like the B&T or factory brace they end up being way too high.

I've got a couple sets of the CZ Evo sights that work well as a low fixed option, you might want to take a look.

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Installed the front sling mount. Moved all the hand guard covers back.

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The AR-height sights would be great with a straight-comb stock, but with a drop-comb like the B&T or factory brace they end up being way too high.

I've got a couple sets of the CZ Evo sights that work well as a low fixed option, you might want to take a look.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2017/08/07/7172229_01_cz_scorpion_evo_iron_sights_640.jpg
View Quote
Thanks, I have a set of those, someplace.  OTOH, with the way my eyes are, I'd probably better off making space for a magnifier, LOL

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice looking gun
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
That brace looks good!

I've considered having a pad made for mine. More for comfort but extra height would be nice too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not 100% sure this would mount to the adapter on the 45, but here is another Custom Smith option folks might consider.  There is a high and low version so the high version might give the cheekweld people are looking for.  I have the low version on my APC9 and it is perfect.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm not 100% sure this would mount to the adapter on the 45, but here is another Custom Smith option folks might consider.  There is a high and low version so the high version might give the cheekweld people are looking for.  I have the low version on my APC9 and it is perfect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

3D printed nylon 12, interesting.

Made out of strong durable Nylon 12 and created using the latest Jet Fusion Technology from HP creating Injection Molding strength  and feel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Installed the front sling mount. Moved all the hand guard covers back.

https://i.imgur.com/Rx3dqmP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FqFDQ8M.jpg
View Quote
Which sling mount is that?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#32]
From LWRC. Fits their hand guards.
They claim they've never had one of those tiny screws break.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Where are you guys finding these. Everyone seems to be out of stock.

I am on the fence between the SMG and B&T. If I can get the B&T, well...
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine was grab a gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#35]
At 750 rounds no hiccups to speak of, except for when trying with the brace closed.

Speaking of that have others tried with any better results with the brace closed.

Most importantly, this is by far the most fun I have shooting, I love it!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
At 750 rounds no hiccups to speak of, except for when trying with the brace closed.

Speaking of that have others tried with any better results with the brace closed.

Most importantly, this is by far the most fun I have shooting, I love it!!!!
View Quote
Still been 111 every day here so still, too damned hot to pewpewpew but soon. Soon! I saw a video mini review on the tube last week with a guy shooting with the brace closed, no issues. I will be trying this as the temps are finally breaking next week.

What light/laser setup will we go with on this and more importantly with this proprietary stinking rail system, how and where will we mount it? Will it be a LWRC 3 slot rail? 2 slot? 4 slot?
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where are you guys finding these. Everyone seems to be out of stock.

I am on the fence between the SMG and B&T. If I can get the B&T, well...
View Quote
The B&T is a boring straight blowback. Built really well, but it's still straight blowback. I have both an APC9 Pro and a SMG. The LWRC is much more fun to shoot and is built about as well as the B&T.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Still been 111 every day here so still, too damned hot to pewpewpew but soon. Soon! I saw a video mini review on the tube last week with a guy shooting with the brace closed, no issues. I will be trying this as the temps are finally breaking next week.

What light/laser setup will we go with on this and more importantly with this proprietary stinking rail system, how and where will we mount it? Will it be a LWRC 3 slot rail? 2 slot? 4 slot?
View Quote
Same temps here and I was out 2 weeks ago and this morning.
Another 100 flawless rounds.
Headed out again tomorrow to play with some other rifles.
Get out at o-dark-early

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#39]
That shade thing for your truck is the bomb!
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#40]
It works good and is quick to set up since it has no upright supports.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It works good and is quick to set up since it has no upright supports.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/247601/trk-side_jpg-1074692.JPG
View Quote
What brand?
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What brand?
View Quote
ARQ4WD
Last I knew you could only contact them via facebook. Think they are out of Brazil of somewhere down there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#43]
So if anyone has an EOTech XPS-2 I would love to see it mounted up.  I have a T1 that is planned to go on it, but need the mount to come in.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone start the SBR process yet?  Can't decide if I want to wait for the LWRC buttstock or go with something else.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Did you guys lube before hitting the range or make it wet?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I cleaned and lubed when I 1st got it. But haven't since.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone start the SBR process yet?  Can't decide if I want to wait for the LWRC buttstock or go with something else.
View Quote
Go with the B&T HK UMP stock. Will look factory.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#48]
When I opened it up, it was pretty well lubed, I added Slip2k and off I go to the range. I need to get an optic and a light/laser setup. I looked at the MRO with a low profile mount and it seemed pretty nice. Range report coming later.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Took mine out again. Have not cleaned it other than when I 1st got it.
I got the 3 new US mags in place of the 2 German mags and noticed when loading them the rounds seemed to fit tight.

Sure enough none of the 3 new US mags would work. Failure to feed and the rounds would jam up in the mag not allowing them to spring back up to the feed lips. The 2 US mags that came with this gun (same thing as the 3 new ones) worked mostly fine and have run 100% in the past. I did have a few jams but I think the gun is getting too dirty to run reliably. I have 600-700 through it without cleaning it.

I need to look closer at the 3 new mags to see why they are different.

Frustrating though!
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Took mine out again. Have not cleaned it other than when I 1st got it.
I got the 3 new US mags in place of the 2 German mags and noticed when loading them the rounds seemed to fit tight.

Sure enough none of the 3 new US mags would work. Failure to feed and the rounds would jam up in the mag not allowing them to spring back up to the feed lips. The 2 US mags that came with this gun (same thing as the 3 new ones) worked mostly fine and have run 100% in the past. I did have a few jams but I think the gun is getting too dirty to run reliably. I have 600-700 through it without cleaning it.

I need to look closer at the 3 new mags to see why they are different.

Frustrating though!
View Quote
Man that sucks! I will let you know if mine act up.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top