Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I got my "We have your item in stock" email today from my LGS. I instantly filled out the on-line form and will drive down to the ship tomorrow (Thursday) to pick it up.

I am a sucker for all things PCC and this will replace another PCC I have just sent back to its maker for a refund. (That is another story).  I have a nice selection of PCC's and wanted something NON-AR looking. I have been down that road for some years and have AR's in six different calibers and want something different. I waited for the CZ's to come down some in price but that hasn't happened yet. Besides, I have a feeling the after market will pick up on this new Ruger and I think a year from now it will have a different look.

I have a "bug out" bag that TNW had made up for their ASR that this rifle should fit right in so I am not concerned about buying a bag for it. If that doesn't work I also have another nice bag made for a similar rifle that breaks down.

I will let you all know how it goes....So far the reports on this rifle look pretty good....I hope I get a good one!
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#2]
For those who have shot it suppressed, how Loud is it compared to other 9mm carbines?
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those who have shot it suppressed, how Loud is it compared to other 9mm carbines?
View Quote
No real difference with my cz carbine or 6951
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have mine on pre-order with a one man shop who deals almost exclusively in rugers, as in "Has dinner with the CEO at SHOT" level of ruger dealings.
View Quote
Well that is strange, I know of several weekend only gunshow FFL's that have had them already.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well that is strange, I know of several weekend only gunshow FFL's that have had them already.
View Quote
Yeah, In the time its taken them to get it, I kinda lost interest in it, theres other things i want to save for at knob creek so im gonna wait until after KCR MG shoot to buy one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, picked up my new Ruger this morning. I have to say I like it much better in person. It feels good, nice and compact. Fits up nice. Threaded barrel of course. I like how they did the mag well as it makes a good place for your forward hand. Also the stock, while not perfect as with any factory gun, is nice in that they got it just the right height to either use the factory peep sights (which I like) or mount a scope. Some rifles, like my Marlin Camp, just don't fit up right with an optic. Also they give you two inserts to adjust the length of pull on the stock.

So, the trigger is crisp and good. I like the feel of it all. All-in-all I feel this is going to be a very nice fun carbine. Like others I am hopeful they will follow up with a .40 or even a .45. I would bet Ruger is waiting to see how this one sells.

FTI:  They left a paper in the box when I picked it up. It said that as of Wednesday, Jan. 10 they had 79 of these on-hand with 37 committed and 42 available. I think they have free shipping on this one also.

That is KYGUNCO.Com in Bardstown, KY.

https://kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=128676
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the rear sight bolt on? It looks like someone could easily produce a small adapter to accept micro red dot sights.

I’m getting one of these and I really hope they make a magazine adapter for m&p mags.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the rear sight bolt on? It looks like someone could easily produce a small adapter to accept micro red dot sights.

I'm getting one of these and I really hope they make a magazine adapter for m&p mags.
View Quote
It is, and ruger says there should be a base by summer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’m getting one of these and I really hope they make a magazine adapter for m&p mags.
View Quote
Where I got mine today they also have a model for a bit more that comes with the Vortrex Venom. Looks like a fair deal as its about $150 more than the base rifle. That sight goes for $229 or so on its own so  you save $ by getting the package deal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]
How much truth is there to the advice “Don’t buy a new Ruger till after the 2nd recall”?

I’d really like to buy one of these if I can get reduced capacity mags to meet local restrictions, but I’ll wait a few months if those buying the first off the line are going to be beta testers.

I’m also tempted to wait and see if a stainless + wood stock version is released.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone tried a Glock 26 mag?  Anyone tried a TLR on the rail?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
According to Kentucky Gun Co the Glock 26 mag will fit.

https://youtu.be/rbUk44EluKE

Not sure about the tlr. An offset mount should work just in case.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm curious about both these questions as well. G26 mags would be a nice unobtrusive option for small game hunting, and I already own a pile of them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How much truth is there to the advice “Don’t buy a new Ruger till after the 2nd recall”?

I’d really like to buy one of these if I can get reduced capacity mags to meet local restrictions, but I’ll wait a few months if those buying the first off the line are going to be beta testers.

I’m also tempted to wait and see if a stainless + wood stock version is released.
View Quote
Ruger will make it right. Unless you think they will be totally unable to get this plarform to work they will fix or upgrade your gun.

I'd trust them to handle it much better than many.

The only reason to really hold off in my opinion is to see what kind of cool exclusive models come out or if Ruger makes some incremental changes to the gun. Not big flaws but maybe some minor smoothing like you see on cars and the like.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought about holding off, wait and see, but didn't. Why not?

First, early reports are good on this rifle.
Its really a simple, straight forward firearm. There is no new radical thinking in it. If anything its simplified to some very basic parts. Its a blowback design with a weight in the bolt. It has a buffer. The receiver is metal and the bolt and receiver are nicely machined with the rail made as part of the receiver. The extractor is a common design, well made and finished. The "take down" aspect is very well proven in the 10/22, same for the trigger and hammer assembly.

But in the end the final decision is, its a Ruger. While some think they have issues I have bought new Rugers since 1972 and have been satisfied with them. (Still own and shoot most of those 1970's guns, and all were trouble free). Sure, their first 9mm was a clunky heavy thing but it worked. And, with Ruger, you can sure the are about a stable a firearm company that is in business and they do support their products.  They are the largest producer of firearms in the US and didn't get that way by building junk.

I am confident that in the coming future you will see variations on this carbine. But, its not going to be a million seller the first year so I don't think these things will come right away. As for stocks, if you look at how its built the magazine well and release is built into the stock. So, its not a simple matter of dropping the action into a new stock. Yes, a different stock can be produced but it will take a little careful engineering to get it right. I am sure any stock maker will want to watch the number of these sold and gauge their market before committing the funding to produce a stock. In the mean time its a fun little carbine at a fair price. Its not an AR, and actually that is a plus as the AR market is flooded and I believe you will see some of the smaller producers fading away due to tight margins.

Also, if I owned one of the old PC 9's, I would think the street used value would decline. Same goes for my Marlin Camp 9.    Some have commented on how Ruger and Marlin tried the PCC market in the 1980's and it faded. Yes it did. The PC 9/40 as the Marlin Camp 9, .45 and .22 Mag were all more expensive to produce. If you tried to build them the same way today they would be price prohibitive for sure. At the time the PCC was not as popular either and the AR / AK fad (along with SKS and other cheap imports) was burning hot.  I bought new SKS's and AK's for $100 and 7.62 ammo could be had for $60 a case.  Then the High Point carbines came along around 1995 and sold for like $150 or so back then.  Times change. Tastes change.

The new Ruger is priced right. Sure, we would all like it to be $350 like the .22 TD but its more expensive to build so don't look for that to happen. I am OK with what it costs, but then I like 9mm carbines.....
I think Ruger has done a good job in figuring out how to make this rifle simple and affordable. Simple usually means more dependable. They have addressed the short comings of the old 9mm carbine in making it easy to buy, easy to clean and with a very nice trigger...which can even be made better. However...I measured the pull on mine and its 4-1/2 pounds with a very clean break and no slack. I don't see having to spend any money improving on that.

Looks like its time for me to retire my Marlin Camp 9.  Perfect shape but dated now...but it does have a very nice wood stock. Maybe I should have sold it back during the last panic when it was worth twice as much!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm curious about both these questions as well. G26 mags would be a nice unobtrusive option for small game hunting, and I already own a pile of them.
View Quote
There is one with a Glock 26 mag, sitting on a green gun case on the bottom of the last page.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I handled one of these today.  Trigger was really light, like, "wow, I'm not sure I'd have done it this light myself".

I am definitely in for one at some point.   Price was under $550.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Called every shop around here. Everyone knew what it was but no idea when RSR or Lipseys will have it
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Called every shop around here. Everyone knew what it was but no idea when RSR or Lipseys will have it
View Quote
https://kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=128676

$509 free shipping to your local dealer.

I got mine on Thursday, they had gotten in 79 and had thirty some left that day and I posted it here Thursday afternoon.

Looks like all 79 went fast...I didn't wait..as soon as they emailed me they were in on Wednesday I reserved one and picked it up the next morning.

Put your name on the list. They are a major player and ship all over. They have a dam warehouse at the store. While their shop is very big 80% of their real business is done on-line. They will notify you via email when they come in. They likely have a shipment on its way now.

Put you name on the "notify" list, you aren't committed to buying it until it gets in so you can change your mind.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#20]
LGS in rural Wisconsin quoted me a price of $475 but had no idea when he would get one.

Has anyone in Wisconsin seen one on the shelf?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Preordered at Brownells on 1/8. They had a $40 coupon and free shipping ($495 otd). Should be at ffl tomorrow. Read that it should be out en masse within the next couple weeks.

Online vendor search for pc carbine.

As for web-advertised local supply, a Tucson dealer sold one for msrp. None of the shops I've called have had any.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What the heck is a Ruger Security 9/SR9??

It looked to me like the mags the old M&P used to take. Doesn't matter, since those guns were junk too, unless you replaced all the internals AND the barrel.

See... this thing is already looking like a total flop.

Two more ideas that I wouldn't buy, but might generate some appeal to the masses:

1) Run a velcro strap through the stock and call it a "Braced Pistol." Offer it with an 8" 3-lug barrel.

2) Offer it with a full stock, 8" 3-lug barrel, and once of those goofy cages to get it to 16".
View Quote
You should not buy this pos, and leave them for those of us who happen to like the design, and have shit loads of magazines that fit. This thing will sell like crazy, despite your obvious disdain for it. All my Rugers are reliable, and accurate, and are a great value for the money. I like buying American, and supporting American jobs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's obvious that we have a fundamental disagreement.

Ruger has a well earned reputation for turning out economy-grade guns that turn out to be trash, and then recalling them.

I personally wouldn't buy anything from Ruger that wasn't a .22 LR- a lot of folks just avoid Ruger, period.

This exact weapon, save for the two differences noted above, has already tried-and-failed in the market... and that was during a time when the alternatives were also weak.

MSRP is not "sub-$600" either.

I see two likely ways in which this will play out:

1) This thing flops and goes away, like the PC-9 before it.

2) This thing achieves limited success, like the Mini-14, but only in states where nobody likes guns... like the Mini-14. Ruger keeps it in the catalog, but everyone knows there are higher quality, cheaper options out there. Eventually Ruger shocks the world by releasing a 9mm AR, which is again does not compete well against other economy grade offerings... like the Ruger AR-15.

History repeats itself...
View Quote
Lol, you don't know shit about Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#24]
has anyone tried what 22lr parts are interchangeable with the pc9 ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
has anyone tried what 22lr parts are interchangeable with the pc9 ?
View Quote
I started doing that a few days ago. So far all I know is the takedown lever mechanism on the barrel is the same, and the one on my PCC was just barely finger tight. Great QC there Ruger
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Love mine, one of my favorite rifles now. Use a Octane 9HD on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  I started doing that a few days ago. So far all I know is the takedown lever mechanism on the barrel is the same, and the one on my PCC was just barely finger tight. Great QC there Ruger
View Quote
Swapped triggers yet?  Be happy to come over & shoot tiny springs & detents all over your house.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Swapped triggers yet?  Be happy to come over & shoot tiny springs & detents all over your house.  
View Quote
Not yet.  I'll play with it later. I got the awesome flu, so not much doing the last few days
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Got mine. Will take it out soon. Swapped mag wells to the Glock one, and noticed it didn't lock back on an empty mag.

Was missing part #36 from the instruction manual, last round plunger. Same part number for the different mag wells which pulls right out of the Ruger mag well. Hopefully a range report soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Are these coming into stock now? I pre-ordered with Sportsmen Outdoors and am still waiting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Are these coming into stock now? I pre-ordered with Sportsmen Outdoors and am still waiting.
View Quote
I didn't preorder. Got mine a couple weeks ago from GrabAGun.  They got it from RSR
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pre-ordered through Brownells 1/8 (had a $40 coupon code and free shipping ...$495 shipped)

FFL received 1/22. Serial number is between 1250 and 1500.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Brief range report. No malfunctions with 115 nor 147 grain ammo. Couple times bolt didn't hold open a couple times using a cornucopia of glock mags. Didn't clean beforehand, which may be cause.

The subsonic ammo is freaky quiet with a capital Q. Need a suppressor.

Accuracy is solid. Kept everything in 9/10 ring at 25 yards. Mostly my fault. Shooting from bench with a hokey front rest. Different cheek welds. I'd like to get an optic.

Does anyone have a suggestion for this? Less than $200 would be ideal. I see the review videos with risers. To get above the sights?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'd like to get an optic.

Does anyone have a suggestion for this? Less than $200 would be ideal. I see the review videos with risers. To get above the sights?
View Quote
Primary Arms Advanced Microdot should do the trick if you're looking for a quality, sub-$200 RDS. That or a Holosun, same manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#35]
In response to some of the other comments:

1) Mine came with all the parts and everything set right....

2) Mine was very accurate with the factory sights. Its just begging for an optic....I am going to try it with a Bushnell 1.5-4x scope. I have liked these on some of my other PCC's and they are a nice value.
Quality sub $100 scope for PCC

3) Waiting for "updates", I thought about that but I think it could be awhile. They are selling these things as fast as they can make them for now. Maybe in a year or so when the market slows. But..Ruger listened on this one. Threaded barrel, Glock mags, take-down, good trigger, good iron sights, reversible charging handle and mag release, interchangeable mag wells for different magazines...yeah, they did their homework on this rifle. Its a major upgrade from the old PC9.

4) Trigger upgrades? Like...have you shot one yet? This thing has the best trigger of all my PCC's. Its a clean break at just over 4 pounds. I don't think I would even want something lighter on a rifle like this!

5) Getting it right? Well, all I can say is mine is flawless so far. I even cursed it with the cheapest Korean mags that won't work in my other PCC's and it ran them fine. And yes, the LRBHO worked on every one of them also. Maybe I just got lucky? This rifle is a keeper and I am selling some of my other PCC's before everyone figures out this thing works so well and the bottom falls out of the market for some of the PCC's out there like Marlin Camps.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Picked up mine today at Field and Stream. Salesman didnt know what it was. He did tell me all stores have to have inventory the same before they stat selling. Serial is in the 3k range. Stock Bolts were tight when I swapped to the glock mag.  Texturing is really really nice as well as the sights. 600 plus tax.  Went to my local gunshop and we looked at glock 45 mags and it appears it would have room with minimal material removal. Maybe 4 or 5 mm . Cant wait to shoot it
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I can confirm the front rail will not accept a TLR light.  I tried all the adapters.  Rail spacing is weird
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can confirm the front rail will not accept a TLR light.  I tried all the adapters.  Rail spacing is weird
View Quote
My X300 and Inforce WML won't fit as well.  It will fit with the Thorntail offsest 1913 adapter, but it's really awkward to use.  I will probably pick up a Streamlight TLR7 to put on there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My X300 and Inforce WML won't fit as well.  It will fit with the Thorntail offsest 1913 adapter, but it's really awkward to use.  I will probably pick up a Streamlight TLR7 to put on there.
View Quote
Sling swivel is in the way.  Unscrewed it and X300 went on fine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#40]
keep the box... odds are you'll be sending it back for something
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
keep the box... odds are you'll be sending it back for something
View Quote
you dont know how "odds" works, do you ?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I sent ruger an online message tonight.  Will see what they suggest.  Maybe a new forearm will come out. I really was interested in that ability
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#43]
This article shows the Streamlight TLR-2 light/laser attached.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/review-ruger-9mm-pistol-caliber-carbine-pcc/40650/
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This article shows the Streamlight TLR-2 light/laser attached.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/review-ruger-9mm-pistol-caliber-carbine-pcc/40650/
View Quote
With the TLR you can just crank the screw down. I wonder if that’s what he did since he says he sighted it in.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

With the TLR you can just crank the screw down. I wonder if that's what he did since he says he sighted it in.
View Quote
The area I circled shows the problem. See how the back of the light is barely engaging the cut? And where the spring for the battery compartment is jammed in? Im sure this is not good for the light and cranking down on the screw is contraindicated by the streamlight manual. I will update if Ruger answers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Cranking the screw on a bad fit is definitely a bad idea. I’ve just seen it done a lot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, my favorite shop in the area doesn't have any on the shelves but apparently is doing special orders (and have around 2 dozen of them) for $489.  Going to run up and put my $50 deposit on ine tomorrow.

Now, I remember seeing something earlier in this thread about takedown bags, but have options been explored by you lucky owners for cases?  As it looks like there are some difficulties mounting lights do you think that one of the new compact pistol lights like from Insight could work?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#48]
95 in stock at 499 at https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/1712281316103
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone in the Pittsburgh area, Ace in Washington is doing Ruger days this weekend, they are markwd at 488.

Now, bag advice anyone??  What are the component lengths when broken down, anyway?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Really?  $288

everything I find for a bag is a compromise.  I am sure some dedicated ones will come out soon.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top