Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2017 10:21:45 PM EDT
Tell me how you like your Tavor in 9mm, either the X95 or the SAR, Wanting to pick one up as my next gun, but want to hear from some owners first.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 9mm conversion.  Its heavy and mags are steel.  I shot it once...recoil was really light compared to an SBR AR 9mm or the CZ Scorpion and its was pretty dang accurate at 25 yards.  I'm thinking about converting back to 556/223...too many compelling 9mm PCC SBRs for me to choose from .. so the Tavor 9mm sits in the safe unsued.  

Here are some pics...I'm using a TROS 3-Lug adapter made to accommodate the longer threads on the Tavor's barrel:

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one and it is a decent carbine. I bought it mostly for the novelty of it, and the mystique of the Tavor rifle system. Since I am so familiar with handling an AR, I really don't care for having to reach behind my trigger hand to release the bolt and change magazines. The top picatinny rail is almost aligned with the rear stock area, so you have to push your head down a little lower to pick up an AR height sight, or use a slightly higher scope mount so you can get a comfortable sight picture.

The Tavor does deliver as a rugged and solid rifle, and the handling issues could mostly be overcome with more practice. In the 400 or so rounds through it, it has never had a malfunction. The Tavor does feel like a bulkier package to me.

I do like the rifle, but for me, it is more of a collection piece than as my go-to shooter. Since I recently got a lightweight 9mm AR faxon barrel, and a slim, light free float handguard, I much prefer the handling of my AR. As set up now, it is very light and quick handling, and thanks to cheap steel case ammo, has been my most often used firearm for the last year.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an 5.56 & a 9mm Sar. The Sar 5 56 is my prefer rifle now. It is a little heavy but once it's in my shoulder I don't notice the wait. I like the Sar more because of where the mag release is, and for myself that is perfect because in a malfunction I can press and strip out the mag insetead of using 2 hands. The X95 has pros and cons for my situation.

I just picked up my Sar 9mm  last Saturday and am going through drills this weekend with it. If it's like my 5.56 then it should work flawlessly. I know when i first got my Tavor I had a tendency to ride the charging handle up and the bolt didn't go into battery, but i got that worked out my just letting it go.

I advise is which ever you get, just go out and shoot it. . The Tavor is my go to rifle and i have a Daniel Defense in my safe as well that i haven't shot in 6 to 8 months.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 9mm conversion SAR. Love it, works great.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
After watching how badly the Tavor in 5.56 did in Inrange's mud test, I decided to get an AUG, I know there arent many 9mm kits left out there, but decided i already have an MP5, I don't need another 9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After watching how badly the Tavor in 5.56 did in Inrange's mud test, I decided to get an AUG, I know there arent many 9mm kits left out there, but decided i already have an MP5, I don't need another 9mm carbine.
View Quote
Meh. For what it's worth, it failed because they dumped a huge clump of sticky, solid mud directly on the ejection port, and didn't even wipe it off before shooting. That would induce stoppages in just about any semi-auto rifle, and is completely unrealistic. Who pulls a rifle out of that kind of mud and doesn't give it a shake or wipe off at bare minimum? Look at the ejection port at 1:49. An AUG would fail the same test. You notice both times this happens, they unfuck the rifle and clear the ejection port, and it suddenly runs fine? And they're all "Gee, I don't understand what's happening!"

https://youtu.be/SUDc9wKoQgM?t=1m49s
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top