Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2017 9:13:13 PM EDT
I'm so happy with the In Lead We Trust barrel and trunnion for my sbr scorpion.  He has them for both gen 1 and gen 2.  3 lug with 1/2x28 threads as well and sits just perfect!  Only 2 days for shipping and so easy to install.  Now I have an unmolested factory barrel if I ever decide to go back to stock as well.  Such a great barrel I'm just waiting on my scorpion carbine "comp" and my little SBR is complete!
Hbi micro rail, hbi springs and small ak style safety on right side, second cz charging handle for support side, holosun solar micro dot, sico omega 9k with griffin 3 lug

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking Scorp ya got there!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good looking Scorp ya got there!
View Quote
Thanks!  I've been debating doing the "micro k" for a while and I'm so glad I did.  So small and looks awesome!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that the HBI rail?

I was going to go integrally suppressed (with a CZ carbine handguard) but that Micro-K...
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is that the HBI rail?

I was going to go integrally suppressed (with a CZ carbine handguard) but that Micro-K...
View Quote
Yes HBI rail.  I kicked around the idea of using the carbine hand guard too but I just love how compact this is without a can.  Plus, the factory handguard makes it so difficult to remove the can without a 3 lug and I just am not in love with the idea of marrying a can to a host.  I shoot the majority suppressed but I do enough without can it just doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
All, right:  I'm convinced.  After all, we SBRed these things for a reason; might as well get the most (or least) out of our $200/$400.

I actually asked Rob @ILWT a few questions right after I saw your post and he answered them almost immediately.

I assume I'll need HBI's barrel wrench to get the barrel out, correct?

Off to place my orders.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All, right:  I'm convinced.  After all, we SBRed these things for a reason; might as well get the most (or least) out of our $200/$400.

I actually asked Rob @ILWT a few questions right after I saw your post and he answered them almost immediately.

Off to place my orders.

Thanks!
View Quote
I got the whole barrel/trunnion combo.  Wasn't too much more and I want to be able to go back to the stock barrel if needed.  All I did was pull the clam shell apart and put it back together with the new barrel/trunnion.  Easy and I even just had surgery on my shoulder so a gimp can even do it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I replaced the factory barrel that was really poorly threaded with an ILWT barrel. It pissed me off at the time but that barrel is way more accurate than the original and the Griffin 3 lug has a perfect fit.

Nice rig BTW.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know if ILWT makes a slightly longer K barrel?  I want to run basically the same setup but don't want the Omega 9k to be under the handguard at all.  Looks like the barrel would need to be another 3/4" longer for my liking.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone know if ILWT makes a slightly longer K barrel?  I want to run basically the same setup but don't want the Omega 9k to be under the handguard at all.  Looks like the barrel would need to be another 3/4" longer for my liking.
View Quote
The 1/2x28 part is about that far out but the 3 lug will put you under the handguard.  You could always use the sico 3 lug if you wanted a longer can
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
man, tempted to make my sbr evo an sbr K evo. Thanks for the info for the barrel
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Off to place my orders.

Thanks!
View Quote
Rob's a standup guy. Great to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 1/2x28 part is about that far out but the 3 lug will put you under the handguard.  You could always use the sico 3 lug if you wanted a longer can
View Quote
Do you have a photo by any chance?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you have a photo by any chance?
View Quote
Just the one without the can.  I'll see if I can get another.  ILWT has some good pics on their site too that may show it better than the one I posted.  I actually purchased the CZ carbine comp for the 1/2x28 threads to run on the gun when I'm not running the suppressor.  It should look nice out the front.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just the one without the can.  I'll see if I can get another.  ILWT has some good pics on their site too that may show it better than the one I posted.  I actually purchased the CZ carbine comp for the 1/2x28 threads to run on the gun when I'm not running the suppressor.  It should look nice out the front.
View Quote
Is the threading under the handguard at all when the 3lug isn't on?  Ideally I'd like for it to start about a 1/4" outside of the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The barrel is HK Navy style meaning the 3 lug is part of the barrel and the threads are in front of the lugs under a thread protector. This puts the threads outside the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The barrel is HK Navy style meaning the 3 lug is part of the barrel and the threads are in front of the lugs under a thread protector. This puts the threads outside the handguard.
View Quote
Ohhhhhh.  Thanks for the clarification.  That's actually pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you need any special tools to remove factory barrel or install new barrel?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did you need any special tools to remove factory barrel or install new barrel?
View Quote
Not to install but getting the factory barrel off was a PIA. Get the HBI wrench. I used a regular wrench until the threads got fubar from slipping off and then grunted it out the rest of the way with a vise grips. Mine also had solid loctite all the way through the nut which I soaked in debonder for a day and a half. Some have very little loctite.

The Op had a pretty easy time with his barrel nut and mine was the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not to install but getting the factory barrel off was a PIA. Get the HBI wrench. I used a regular wrench until the threads got fubar from slipping off and then grunted it out the rest of the way with a vise grips. Mine also had solid loctite all the way through the nut which I soaked in debonder for a day and a half. Some have very little loctite.

The Op had a pretty easy time with his barrel nut and mine was the opposite.
View Quote
I have a gen1 gun and my barrel nut had literally had no loctite on mine at all.  In fact, it came loose shooting once.  The barrel out of the trunnion itself I'm not sure since I purchased the complete barrel/trunnion combo.  It's easy and just requires removing the bolts to each side of the weapon and pulling the two halves apart.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought the barrel trunnion assembly as well but if the barrel nut is not turned out enough the forearm assembly is not able to move forward enough to clear the clamshell  to access the trunnion. After the work I thought I had a dipshiddity moment but not so much. I still could have missed something possibly.

Edit note: Mine is a gen2 with 1/2-28 threads  but the Goobers were full time on my gun as the shoulder of the threads was radiused badly. Thankfully I tested it with a rod at the shop I transfer through. On both the 3 lug and direct thread on factory barrel adapters it scraped 12:00 position through the suppressor. This would cause multiple baffle strikes to which I couldn't hold the can mfgr to account.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I ended up getting the cz comp today.  I think it looks great for when I'm not running suppressed

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#22]
That does look good. Do you notice any recoil reduction?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That does look good. Do you notice any recoil reduction?
View Quote
I haven't shot it yet.  It's 9mm so I kind of doubt it.  I was thinking of getting one for my m11/nine smg to see if it helps keep the barrel down on auto.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]
You might get better results with a comp that has cuts on the top to counteract the muzzle climb on the M11.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You might get better results with a comp that has cuts on the top to counteract the muzzle climb on the M11.
View Quote
This does have holes on the top as well as sides.  Honestly the m11 isn't bad because I either run a slow fire upper or tungsten bolt.  I'll have to try it anyway and see how/if it works well or not.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#26]
CaptShiess,

When you changed the barrel out did you separate the two polymer halves of the upper, remove the trunion, then remove the barrel from the trunion?  

Or just remove the handguard, and remove the barrel?

I watched a few Youtube videos, and I think a complete breakdown of the gun is needed, not a lot of effort, just a bit more PITA.

NEVERMIND, I looked at the ILWT website, total disassembly is it as the trunion is already attached to the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
CaptShiess,

When you changed the barrel out did you separate the two polymer halves of the upper, remove the trunion, then remove the barrel from the trunion?  

Or just remove the handguard, and remove the barrel?

I watched a few Youtube videos, and I think a complete breakdown of the gun is needed, not a lot of effort, just a bit more PITA.

NEVERMIND, I looked at the ILWT website, total disassembly is it as the trunion is already attached to the barrel.
View Quote
Correct, total disassembly required.  It's super easy if you haven't done it before.  Maybe took 10 min tops to complete.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Have you tried mounting an m-lok vertical grip behind the hand stop?  Does the micro-k rail provide enough mounting space for both?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Have you tried mounting an m-lok vertical grip behind the hand stop?  Does the micro-k rail provide enough mounting space for both?
View Quote
I've seen similar "micro k" setups that run one like that but I prefer it without.  It should fit fine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I am an idiot and need help.

My ILWT barrel/trunnion assembly arrived today, but I cannot get the handguard off, I can't find a Gen-2 video or instructions online.  All screws are out, I see no reason the handguard won't come off.  I tried giving it a twist, pulling straight off, and even tapped with a rubber hammer.

Do I just need more force?  
Bigger hammer?  
Work out more?
All the prior?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#31]
It pulls straight off once you remove the barrel nut. It can't twist due to the alignment tab. It can't be removed by disassembling the receiver. You must remove the barrel nut, no exceptions.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It pulls straight off once you remove the barrel nut. It can't twist due to the alignment tab. It can't be removed by disassembling the receiver. You must remove the barrel nut, no exceptions.
View Quote
That's not true, after fighting with my barrel nut I just used a hack saw to section the OEM handguard so that I could pull it forward. It took all of 10 minutes and all I'm out is a part with little value I was never going to use again anyways.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:That's not true, after fighting with my barrel nut I just used a hack saw to section the OEM handguard so that I could pull it forward. It took all of 10 minutes and all I'm out is a part with little value I was never going to use again anyways.
View Quote
Disassembling it and cutting it up are two different things. You're correct if you're willing to cut it. If you want to disassemble it, my post stands. Some people are posting on the net, one can unscrew the receiver halves. You could... if you're will to break the alignment tab for the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I got it off earlier today after looking at the schematic, then read the your replys.

Thanks for the help, the round metal ring was in tight and I think that is what was holding it up.  I had pulled off the little spring type thing that holds the flash suppressor from turning, I thought that was the piece removed in the video I watched.  I need close up pictures to know what part is what.

Before I put it all back together I am waiting on the Parker Machine 1/4" sling mounts to arrive so I do not need to take anything apart.

BTW, damn loctite must have been on sale, there was a bunch, I just used a regular 20mm wrench from the tool box.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Same for mine. So much locktite. Somehow it physically got hot just from removing it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone had issues with 165gr ammo not stabilizing out of this barrel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top