Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 4:45:35 PM EDT
I have experience building my AR-15's so I'm not worried about my skill level.

I'm curious if it would be better to buy an assembled PCC or just stick with building one?

I don't own any PCC's so I still would have to decide on Glock vs Colt style, and then decide on parts and prices.

Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I am buying a PSA upper and lower. Glock model.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]
the market's so competitive right now on ar platform based parts you'd be better off buying pre-built upper and or lower.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You should buy a MP5
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been a reader of arfcom for a couple of years now, and a USPSA PCC AR9 competitor... there seems to be a definite difference when one asks for a recommendation between the competitive AR9 users, and the supressed or general range users of AR9 or other 9mm carbines

do you plan on using an AR9 for USPSA or steel challenge type of competition? or just want a neat range toy?

regards Les L747
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been a reader of arfcom for a couple of years now, and a USPSA PCC AR9 competitor... there seems to be a definite difference when one asks for a recommendation between the competitive AR9 users, and the supressed or general range users of AR9 or other 9mm carbines

do you plan on using an AR9 for USPSA or steel challenge type of competition? or just want a neat range toy?

regards Les L747
View Quote
Fun gun mostly. Might eventually suppress but probably not going into competition with it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Colt LE6991
Frickin awesome.
View Quote
I will second that.

I have LE6991, EVO, MKE MP5, MKE K-gun, and a 9mm AR with 5.5" TROS 3-lug under rails and a VM-hytech block.

If you decide to build your own, stay away from junk parts like PSA, "everything" parts like BCGs that work with single or double stack mags, and make sure you have 5.5 oz of buffer.

If you want turn-key, trouble-free operation in a 9mm AR, go with the LE6991 or 6951. They are professional grade weapons and you won't have to worry about intermittent BHO and other goofiness.

The EVO and the MKE guns are also professional grade, world-market arms.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
If I build another one, I'll probably just buy this CMMG pistol.

CMMG 9mm
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I build another one, I'll probably just buy this CMMG pistol.

CMMG 9mm
View Quote
Did you not like building? Or is this CMMG quality parts for a quality price?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you not like building? Or is this CMMG quality parts for a quality price?
View Quote
I have built AR's before and just want to buy complete lowers and uppers now, especially with prices being so low. I will still change the trigger to an ALG or Timney though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

regards Les L747
View Quote
would like to hear your thoughts Les, from a USPSA angle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#13]
3-Gun... I shoot in the Tampa Bay area and Frostproof typically... in my local club, most of the PCC shooters are older, like me (69), and have a 3-gun background, but realize that the athleticism required to be a competitive 3 gunner is not there any more...a high capacity, dot scoped, shoulder fired, accurate carbine is fun to compete with ...I had transitioned to a Glock platform after a link break at Ft Benning in 2005, and didn't really want to get away from the AR platform, regardless of the recoil advantage offered by a DI system like a SiG...so I built an AR9 on a New Frontier Glock lower, A1 stock, thin MLok fore end, Vortex SPARCII, Taylor Freelance pad... easy to reload with a G17 mag

most of the guys that don't like to tinker, have a JP 13/15,  PSA upper and lower combos, a couple of CX Storms, and a couple of Just Right or KelTec carbines....

my comment about the difference was that the USPSA oriented PCCs were typically- 16", dot scope, match trigger, minimum power factor hand loads, pretty finely tuned recoil system,  with a muzzle device that was designed to minimize scope movement... last round bolt hold open typically not needed with the extended magazines, short barrel carbines typically not encountered( I have a 10.5" upper for my SBR)  so a lot of inquiries on the this forum do not necessarily apply to USPSA PCC shooters (more prevalent on Brian Enos Forum)

I had a chance to talk to Foley and McManus about adopting some multi gun rules and start positions, but haven't seen any changes... one very popular local club was hesitant about PCC but currently on board...I think PCC and carry optics will keep a lot of the older shooters in USPSA

Les .. L747..I'm so old my Limited M card was shot with a single stack .45
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Les, we have shot a lot of the same matches, the V-tac matches, fb3g, and I think you have shot in the Bham area. I RO 'ed you before.
I'm  A older middle of the pack guy and the pcc looks fun
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking 16", colt mags and JP bolt and recoil system. Probably a JP trigger. I wondered if a comp is worth the trouble on a 16" 9mm.
Should be a fun little rifle. Later may sbr it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]
3-gun... I have a mag well adapter for my SBR with Colt mags... it is harder for me to change a mag during a stage with the Colt, the front of my NFA lower is cut at the same slant needed for a mag change, and the shorter Glock mag makes the reload a lot quicker with my NFA lower... it does look funny with the slanted mag... I use a rifle stock, buffer and spring and it made trying different buffer weights pretty easy to do... I have a Miculek style 9mm comp from McDonald Precision with which I can tell a reduction of dot movement compared to a bare muzzle...nothing really as to recoil reduction... I'm shooting a 130pf (pistol)and 154pf (PCC) load which could be reduced some

I shot 4 of Kyle Lamb's North Carolina Tactical Matches from about 95 on, all six of the first FB3G matches, and most of the Area 6 matches in Georgia...I have osteo arthritis in my left knee, and missed the last A6 match at Frostproof....haven't touched the G34 for competition in the last 10 months since getting the PCC... it is a blast, you will like it... regards
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for your input. I loved Kyle Lambs matches. Only shot two, but I did win a gun at the last one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top