Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 2:38:25 PM EDT
I have an HBI "safety delete" on the way, but I'm going to the range tomorrow and couldn't wait on it. So I took the old dremel to it today and cut off the "tail" so it won't jab my finger.

Attachment Attached File

Things I learned:

1. That composite material is HARD.
2. The cutting wheels quickly get gummed up with the composite and stop cutting.
3. Harbor Freight 'dremels' are pretty useless. I had to finish with a hacksaw.

It's not pretty, but it works, and I'll install the HBI button when it gets here. I know I'm not the first to do this, but I can confirm it's doable if you need to get the thing out of your way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess whatever floats your boat, but I try to keep factory parts so I can undo something if I don't like it, but also commitment phobia with mods like this. If it works though, and it looks like it works

Interesting the polymer is that hard
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL! Wouldn't you know it, the postman pulled up right after I posted this, and the safety delete was in the mail.

Could have saved myself the trouble, but I couldn't tell that it had even been shipped.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad it worked but glad I bought a safety delete
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I'm going to go with the AK47 style safety from HBI.  Looks to be the best of both worlds; no interference with your shooting hand and still retaining the ambidextrous safety.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If you change out the grip to something better, the pokey safety becomes a non-issue. I actually reinstalled the factory safety after changing the grip.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you change out the grip to something better, the pokey safety becomes a non-issue. I actually reinstalled the factory safety after changing the grip.
View Quote
After changing my grip, the factory works best for me too.  Wish my AR selector switch was as handy.  ??
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#7]
What are the best grip options?  Is changing the grip as easy as on an AR or is there any tricks to it such as hidden springs, etc?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What are the best grip options?  Is changing the grip as easy as on an AR or is there any tricks to it such as hidden springs, etc?
View Quote
Easier...no springs to worry about at all. The grip rides on a set of rails. Just remove the screw and give it a little bump towards the rear and it will slide right off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Yetiworks grip. It is ok. Definitely an improvement over the factory grip. Its a little too big for my hands, width-wise. I ordered the Apex grip, which I have yet to tryout, but I think I saw another grip, started with a P, not sure of the name, but it looked promising.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks bad.

At least get some fine sanding tools, buff it out, hit it with some sandblast, then paint it black again. It's a firearm, not a toy, don't treat it like a toy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It's called a pakse grip. I bought both it and the apex. I keep the pakse. The apex was too aggressively checkered to be comfortable. They both hold the web of the hand up too high on the grip so the bottom of the trigger guard rubs on your middle finger, but they are an improvement over the stock grip. Both do not require you to change your safety.

Also, there is a guy over on the cz forums that has posted about shimming the trigger on his gun. I cut apart a 308 case and in welded in some brass shims per his recommendation and took out most of the travel and reset. It feels like a mediocre ar trigger now instead of the worst trigger ever put in a gun.

If cz ever listens to customer feedback and releases a version 2.0 of the scorpion it will be awesome. As it is, I guess they will just keep selling the version that feels like a prototype.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That looks bad.

At least get some fine sanding tools, buff it out, hit it with some sandblast, then paint it black again. It's a firearm, not a toy, don't treat it like a toy.
View Quote
87% of my Firearms are toys...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to go with the AK47 style safety from HBI.  Looks to be the best of both worlds; no interference with your shooting hand and still retaining the ambidextrous safety.
View Quote
This.

Changed the safety to HBI's AK47 style on just the one side where it was digging into my hand. Much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.

Changed the safety to HBI's AK47 style on just the one side where it was digging into my hand. Much more comfortable.
View Quote
Yep, I did this too.  Can flip it UP to disengage the safety with my trigger finger (right hand) or use my thumb on the thumb side.  I have a short thumb so it's in just the right place for me.  
To those that don't like the stock trigger, do the trigger spring replacement.  It's cheap and makes a huge difference.  I did the HBI flat trigger while i was in there and it's waaaay better than the World Trigger crap that a bunch of guns got.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks sharp.....like cut a finger sharp
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep, I did this too.  Can flip it UP to disengage the safety with my trigger finger (right hand) or use my thumb on the thumb side.  I have a short thumb so it's in just the right place for me.  
To those that don't like the stock trigger, do the trigger spring replacement.  It's cheap and makes a huge difference.  I did the HBI flat trigger while i was in there and it's waaaay better than the World Trigger crap that a bunch of guns got.
View Quote
yes. It makes a huge difference.

Remember ... thsi is essentially a military weapon, converted to semi-auto for civilian sale. It's a mil-weight trigger, and CZ isn't reworking it for civvies to use for plinking. You can either use the trigger as-is or do what most of us have done - get a cheap trigger spring set or let someone do a gunsmith job on it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks sharp.....like cut a finger sharp
View Quote
Lol. It was quickie "fix", and as posted above, the "safety delete" came the same day. So I never even got to try it out with live fire.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
yes. It makes a huge difference.

Remember ... thsi is essentially a military weapon, converted to semi-auto for civilian sale. It's a mil-weight trigger, and CZ isn't reworking it for civvies to use for plinking. You can either use the trigger as-is or do what most of us have done - get a cheap trigger spring set or let someone do a gunsmith job on it.
View Quote
Mike, is your trigger still working as it should?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mike, is your trigger still working as it should?
View Quote
Yes! I ran another 250 rounds through it last week and it functioned perfectly. Thanks for asking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top