Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2017 7:32:23 AM EDT
So after years of wanting one I broke down and finally bought one. I've spent a full career shooting full auto's in the Marines and Army National Guard so the fact this new Thompson is just semi auto is OK with me. I shot a few magazines through it and it only gets better as I pile up brass on my right. The fit and finish on it are incredible and I've disassembled it to install the extended bolt handle and like the way it operates. Anyway enjoy the photos.

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
All of it is USA made and you can tell it's absolutely precision made.

All of it is USA made and you can tell it's absolutely precision made.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The long barrel on that is just wrong, as is the NFA that requires it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#3]
That's nice!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice gun OP.
Thanks for posting pics.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks sweet, OP.  My biggest gripe with the Thompson other than cost is the LOP.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#7]
No offense, but those things have a reputation of being junk.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats..

That thing when fully loaded is way way to heavy for me to want to carry/lug around..
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats OP . I see you are in Texas and If ever in the DFW area you can go to the DFW gun range on Mockingbird and rent their select fire for a comparison  . I took my Reising  to compare with the Thompson once . The Reising was alot lighter but that Thompson sure is nice .
I have rented it a couple of times
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
No offense taken since I only go by actual experience and not innuendo or internet blatherings. If you got actual experience and recent photos as proof within recent history...well I'll read it and then I'll happily go out to my range and enjoy mine.

Don't take this the wrong way....but my wife came to me one day and told me she had just seen a woman at a restaurant raising hell with them because her Mac and Cheese had too much cheese. Some people are in that category. Not saying this as a personal affront....but having dealt with humanity long enough...take most things with a grain of salt!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Aluminum receiver or steel?
View Quote
Aluminum, it's just a tad lighter in the overall scheme of things.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Congrats..

That thing when fully loaded is way way to heavy for me to want to carry/lug around..
View Quote
I understand how a lot of weight is hard on some men and women. But I'm a Marine who humped M60's and Mortars on long marches in my career. That doesn't mean I relish the idea of strapping a Rucksack and gear on then picking up a large weapon....but seriously to bitch about 10 pounds of your primary weapon weight is well.... you know, then there's airsoft toys.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you put a drum magazine on your piece ?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can you put a drum magazine on your piece ?
View Quote
No, it's not machined with that groove above the magazine release, it's strictly for stick mags only. Yes, you can buy the drum version if you so desire.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Been a fan for years, sold my first one because of divorce, got the M1 and traded it after I got the 1928 SBR, drum dumps and shorter barrel are a hoot. Weight difference isn't detectable
between the 16" and 10", purely cosmetic. Enjoy and thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I understand how a lot of weight is hard on some men and women. But I'm a Marine who humped M60's and Mortars on long marches in my career. That doesn't mean I relish the idea of strapping a Rucksack and gear on then picking up a large weapon....but seriously to bitch about 10 pounds of your primary weapon weight is well.... you know, then there's airsoft toys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats..

You don't have to wear your service on your sleeve, ya know.  I don't.

Nice weapon, hope you enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#17]
The 16" civilian styled semi-auto Thompsons just don't appeal to me as the long barrel looks really wrong on those.  

However, I do like your M1A1 styled Thompson, even with the long barrel. And of course you can also SBR it and cut to back to 10.5".
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The 16" civilian styled semi-auto Thompsons just don't appeal to me as the long barrel looks really wrong on those.  

However, I do like your M1A1 styled Thompson, even with the long barrel. And of course you can also SBR it and cut to back to 10.5".
View Quote
Yea, thinking about going the SBR route. Nothing very difficult about cutting it down but I know to get approval first before doing anything. This week I will start to do the paperwork and maybe by Spring have it done.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Super cool gun, I'm super jealous to say the least.  Thanks for the pics.

I don't understand people who reply just to crap on other people's stuff.  I thought this was a forum for people who like guns?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice gun.  

I was a fan of Thompson until I fired one, then I realized theyre not for me.  And I humped an m60 too.

The one I fired was full auto SBR
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No offense taken since I only go by actual experience and not innuendo or internet blatherings. If you got actual experience and recent photos as proof within recent history...well I'll read it and then I'll happily go out to my range and enjoy mine.

Don't take this the wrong way....but my wife came to me one day and told me she had just seen a woman at a restaurant raising hell with them because her Mac and Cheese had too much cheese. Some people are in that category. Not saying this as a personal affront....but having dealt with humanity long enough...take most things with a grain of salt!
View Quote
Buddy had one, never ran right, sold it.  Seemed to be a problem.  If yours works and you like it that's what matters.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, I was just unconvincing myself that I need one

I think I could manage the weight for the grin factor down on my range
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_48/479137_Any-love-for-the-Thompson-s-.html&page=1&anc=4807251#i4807251

Guy posted his two weeks ago, jams.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I had one of the Kahr made 1927 deluxe models.
It ran fine with stick mags and plain old 230grn RNFMJ's.
Anything else and it would choke.
It was a heavy beast.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I run UMC 230gr FMJ's brass case...eats them all day long no problems. Instructions say stay away from flat nose, hollow points, reloads, steel case, and cheap shit. So far it runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Howdy OP.   Nice ride.    I had one of these about 5 years ago.   I collect WW2 guns and stuff and wanted that Tommy gun.   hate that long barrel though.
Got some USGI mags and modified them to fit.   Much cheaper than current made mags.  Any ways, took about 150 rnds for it to run smooth but once it did was neat to shoot.
Did wind up selling and wish I had kept but that long barrel, yuck... So went out and picked me up the pistol version a few weeks ago.  Love that original look though barrel is finned.
Not gone to shoot it yet but soon.   And it takes the drums but won't waist my time.   Like the stick mags.

So go and enjoy.   And buy more mags.

Semper Fi!
I too carried a pig.   Then an echo 3...
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Howdy OP.   Nice ride.    I had one of these about 5 years ago.   I collect WW2 guns and stuff and wanted that Tommy gun.   hate that long barrel though.
Got some USGI mags and modified them to fit.   Much cheaper than current made mags.  Any ways, took about 150 rnds for it to run smooth but once it did was neat to shoot.
Did wind up selling and wish I had kept but that long barrel, yuck... So went out and picked me up the pistol version a few weeks ago.  Love that original look though barrel is finned.
Not gone to shoot it yet but soon.   And it takes the drums but won't waist my time.   Like the stick mags.

So go and enjoy.   And buy more mags.

Semper Fi!
I too carried a pig.   Then an echo 3...
View Quote
Yea, I was an 0341 so spent a lot of miles humping base plates, barrels, and bipods. When you got tired you could switch up with the 0331 guys for the lighter M60 back then. We used to watch the Army guys drive by in their trucks while we humped everywhere on foot. That was the main motivating factor that made me change MOS's when I joined the Army National Guard. No more humping heavy weapons...I wanted to drive big weapons! I got to retrain in Field Artillery and eventually became a Section Chief of an M109, and later when the Army decided our Battalion should now become an Armor Company and again I retrained into a 19E and 19K becoming a Tank Commander...I love big weapons!

Lucky now that I'm retired and only need to pick up my Thompson and walk out to my own Range with covered shooting position and shoot out to 200yrds ...when I get too hot I jump in the pool....Life is great! Reload and Repeat at will.

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Didn't have to do much humpin.    Was Motor t.  3521/22 .  Then  a 6113.   But I was one of my company's 60 gunner.   only 2 of us...
Also did the Nasty Guard thing.   Mechanized Infantry.   120MM mortars in M113 carriage. ...  don't even remember the MOS.   For one year.  The units was close to home so why not..
Got to drive a track.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#29]
My extra 30 round stick Magazines came in yesterday, so today I'll load'em up and check their reliability. My LGS was very good at only charging me $49.99 for them versus a $70.00 MSRP.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Awesome gun but it needs a violin case instead of that plastic abomination
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 2 one is the M1A1 and the other is the 1927. I SBR them. I have had these 2 for over 10 years I can say mine are not junk. I love mine and they will stay with me till the day I die.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Own a M1A1 model myself. I love to shoot it, doesn't jam and runs like a top. Can't wait to one day get it SBRed. If you do SBR yours just know that the 16in barrel has a completely different profile than the 10.5. The 10.5 tapers down after the chamber unlike the 16in, so you may want to consider a entirely new barrel.  

Enjoy it, I know I do!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yea, thinking about going the SBR route. Nothing very difficult about cutting it down but I know to get approval first before doing anything. This week I will start to do the paperwork and maybe by Spring have it done.
View Quote
Actually there is a problem cutting the barrel down as the muzzle I flared for the ring sight or Cutts Comp for the 1928 models.  When you cut the barrel down to 10.5" the OD is all wrong.  However don't despair 10.5" barrel are not that expensive and they are easy to spin off and replace (no head spacing required).  I SBR'd my 1928 in a few minutes once I got my stamp back.  I love mine despite all the objections others have mentioned as 10.5" Thompsons are a piece of history and if someone doesn't like the weight or LOP then they just don't like the original.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't shot or seen that many of them out there but they all seemed to run just fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Actually there is a problem cutting the barrel down as the muzzle I flared for the ring sight or Cutts Comp for the 1928 models.  When you cut the barrel down to 10.5" the OD is all wrong.  However don't despair 10.5" barrel are not that expensive and they are easy to spin off and replace (no head spacing required).  I SBR'd my 1928 in a few minutes once I got my stamp back.  I love mine despite all the objections others have mentioned as 10.5" Thompsons are a piece of history and if someone doesn't like the weight or LOP then they just don't like the original.
View Quote
Yes, I have noted the problems of just cutting down the barrel. Buying a 10.5" inch is the better solution. I will plan on this in a few months. I really love the way this Thompson operates like a sewing machine. I don't mind the Pisser's Parade about Thompsons from previous encounters, like so many other owners I enjoy this one a lot. There will always be that 10% like most of us learned in the Corps. You couldn't please some people no matter how hard you try once they make up their mind. I'm happy with mine. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm very happy with my 1927 Deluxe SBR .........
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I have one like yours that I SBR'd a couple of years ago. It's a blast. I just ordered a TA5 pistol for a future project.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I've had a rare A5 "pistol" (13" barrel, vfg, no stock), a deluxe carbine w/ detachable stock, a TA5 pistol and an M1 in aluminum.

I'll probably end up getting another A5 or TA5 pistol. I do like the shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had one of the Kahr made 1927 deluxe models.
It ran fine with stick mags and plain old 230grn RNFMJ's.
Anything else and it would choke.
It was a heavy beast.
View Quote
very interesting to know.. i had a cheapo commando arms that feed everything from swc to fmj... i had zero issues with 200gr swc with win 231 reloads.. it was nice little toy but trigger sucked since it was mostly plastic..
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I absolutely love mine.  Owned it for 10 years or so before I finally SBR'd it.  But I went hog wild when I SBR'd it and went with a USGI stock set, had military markings added to it as well as the selector switch and mag catch mod to use unmodified Thompson mags.  Finally had it parkerized to resemble a rebuilt M1.

Runs great so long as I have some good mags.  Still need to get the ez-pull springs.  I keep the bolt locked open and have done so for years and it's still a bear to work the action.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I have had both of mine for more than 5 yrs
and love mine so much I SBR them. I altered the mag catch so as to accept original mags without screwing up good mags.  I also modified mine to take original lower to accept a removal butt stock.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Super cool gun, I'm super jealous to say the least.  Thanks for the pics.

I don't understand people who reply just to crap on other people's stuff.  I thought this was a forum for people who like guns?
View Quote
Well said.

Op, love the gun. I sold a SEmi west Hurley Thompson about 15 years ago. I kick myself every time I see these beautiful guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had three over the years. Auto Ordnance 1927A1 back in the '90's. Sold it when I was young and always needed money, and eventually bought the M1C aluminum receiver, had issues with the rear sight falling off, sold it to a friend (and eventually traded it back), and now I have a Kahr 1927A1 Deluxe that I SBR'd.
All of them have worked like clockwork with any 230gr FMJ I've put in 'em. I've never tried anything else, as I figure that's what they were designed for, and it's what's cheapest anyway.
OP, you MUST SBR it. It's a whole different gun, and by whole different, I mean whole better. Don't try and cut the barrel down, the taper is all wrong. Just cough up some coin and buy the correct short barrel. They're not that expensive, and you can change it yourself with a little effort, some leather straps and a vice....and a tax stamp.

Don't worry about not being able to use the drum, it's over rated. Two sticks hold more, are easier to use, and stow better.
Semper Fi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top