BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1894 in 500 S&W magnum, 454 Casull, or 460. Come on Ruger!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
1894 in 500 S&W magnum, 454 Casull, or 460. Come on Ruger!
Yes
Quoted:
Stainless 1894 .357 mags should be at the top of their centerfire list.
Yes
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If they are smart they will start cranking out threaded 16in 1894’s. Make them with classic wood stocks along with the darks in both straight and curved gripped models, but thread every damn one of them  For the future work on a 9mm and 10mm version just because it would be cool and sell.  Just because it’s not a rimmed cartridge doesn’t mean it can’t be done Ranger Point Precision proved that.  

1895s are a no brainer same as above.  

The Elephant in the room is the cast receiver.   I for one don’t have a issue with it.  Investment cast doesn’t mean junk. Rugers  track  record has been proven on that issue and it’s 2021 so they are not collector items.
If switching to a cast receiver means I can actually find them in stock I’m good.  In the last 7-8 years I don’t recall ever seeing a single 1894 on a rack.  I’m certain because I don’t own one and I wouldn’t have walked away regardless of caliber.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: For the future work on a 9mm and 10mm version just because it would be cool and sell.    
View Quote

I'd love to see a 10mm. That would be a huge seller.

I bought a 1894c new in 2018. I lucked out and got a good one. I really like the walnut they used over the walnut they used before Remington, but man, did they make a bunch of junk. I have lever guns made by Rossi, Henry, and Winchester.  I think this new Marlin is the best of the bunch.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I want a 336 and 1895 with straight stocks and case hardened receivers and levers.Attachment Attached File

Like this
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As long as there are lawyers on this planet you can bet on it.
It would be nice without them but you can always do a delete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need an 1895G , do you think they will keep the stupid safety?

And the Marlin push button safety is MUCH easier to get rid of than a tang safety.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Are we calling them Rumlins?
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are we calling them Rumlins?
View Quote

Ruglins or maybe Margers.’
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 39 really isn't a competitor to the 10/22; the 60 and especially the 795 are another matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apparently there was a conference call with the CEO of Ruger where he said they had transferred the assets to Ruger's North Carolina facility and were in the process of evaluating production techniques for the Marlin rifles. He thought the first, which would be centerfire rifles, would be available by late Fall. We can hope. I would love to see them produce the 39A and Mountie.

I would love to see them bring back the 39A, but I don't see how feasible it would be for them, it would potentially take sales away from the 10/22. Same reason I see them maybe killing off the Marlin 60.

The 39 really isn't a competitor to the 10/22; the 60 and especially the 795 are another matter.

It wouldn’t matter. There isn’t any competition, they own it all. A sale is a sale.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just put a c-clip through the red slot side.  It absolutely sucks to crank a couple live rounds out during a match because the safety got bumped on.

I am going to look for the safety delete now, never considered it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just put a c-clip through the red slot side.  It absolutely sucks to crank a couple live rounds out during a match because the safety got bumped on.

I am going to look for the safety delete now, never considered it.
View Quote

I put one of these on my 1894..They have just the safety delete too
https://beartoothmercantile.com/saddle-ring-safety-delete/
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I put one of these on my 1894..They have just the safety delete too
https://beartoothmercantile.com/saddle-ring-safety-delete/
View Quote
Thanks, made me look again.  The blued ones with screw slot in both sides were out of stock.  I found blued ones with only a right side fake screw slot in stock for only $15 today, so I ordered 3.  I hope I bought enough.

I need two for the rimfires, but not sure if those are made.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got both.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm pretty sure Ruger will keep the tube fed Marlin 22s in production.  They will do this to side step potential detachable mag legislation.

I bet some of the 22 Marlins are REALLY cheap to make and will continue.

I bet the first centerfires will be 336 30/30s and 1895 45/70 as they will sell every single one at profit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a mild redesign of the 1894C for a 454 and 480 lever action that might delay 357/44 production a bit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a mild redesign of the 1894C for a 454 and 480 lever action that might delay 357/44 production a bit.
View Quote
I could've sworn I read somewhere that the 1894 was about at its limit with pressure with .357 and .44 mag, but I don't know enough about it to know if that's due to the nature of the design, or if it could be strengthened with overbuilt Ruger metallurgy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I could've sworn I read somewhere that the 1894 was about at its limit with pressure with .357 and .44 mag, but I don't know enough about it to know if that's due to the nature of the design, or if it could be strengthened with overbuilt Ruger metallurgy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone posted a link to someone else's experiment. Winchester 92's and Marlin 94's are not up to the pressure (though that doesn't explain the Rossi .454). Maybe if they use that super steel from their Super Redhawks for .480; I also wonder if .454 is too long. An 8 round, 16" .480 would be an ass kicker!
Ashley Emerson had a .45 Colt Marlin re-barreled to use 400 grain Garretts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget Ruger is the inventor of the transfer bar.  I could see them deleting the cross bolt safety in favor of the transfer bar to make it drop safe.

Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't forget Ruger is the inventor of the transfer bar.  I could see them deleting the cross bolt safety in favor of the transfer bar to make it drop safe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Henry did a nice job of hiding the transfer bar in the hammer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they bought that from H&R?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The transfer bar system was patented in 1896 by an employee of Iver Johnson.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Receivers and parts that were forged by Marlin will remain forged. Straight from the CEO's mouth. 1895 SBLs are #1 priority. 444 Marlin, and 1894s in .357 and .44 will be back too. Barrels will be cold hammer forged using Ruger's process.

New Lever-Action Marlin Rifle from Ruger Coming in 2021 | Gun Talk Radio
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am always confused by the people who say they are afraid they will kill off the model 60 because it competes with the 10/22.
Now that marlin is owned by ruger, it does not matter if they sell a 10/22 or a model 60, the profits are going into their pockets. I highly doubt, and will be very very surprised (even dumbfounded) if they kill the model 60. I personally think they would be very stupid to do so.

Lets say you had a oil well that produced a lot of oil and made you a lot of money, and your neighbor also had one that was producing a lot of oil and making them money. Your neighbor was one of your main competitors.  Now lets say your neighbor passes away and you purchase their land with their oil well on it. Are you going to cap off that well and stop pumping oil out of it, just because it used to be your competitor.  No. You will keep pumping oil out of it and now make more money. While it will take some time to make back your initial investment, it will start paying off in the long run.

Ruger bought marlin to make money, not shut down their competitor.
View Quote

You would turn off the second well if you were making a load of money off of t-shirt sales from the first well.  

Ruger is in the accessory market on 10/22s as well.  Just pointing that out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Receivers and parts that were forged by Marlin will remain forged. Straight from the CEO's mouth. 1895 SBLs are #1 priority. 444 Marlin, and 1894s in .357 and .44 will be back too. Barrels will be cold hammer forged
View Quote

It also sounded like they were going to make the model 60.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Receivers and parts that were forged by Marlin will remain forged. Straight from the CEO's mouth. 1895 SBLs are #1 priority. 444 Marlin, and 1894s in .357 and .44 will be back too. Barrels will be cold hammer forged using Ruger's process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_AHFat3yqE
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_AHFat3yqE
View Quote
Thanks for posting this.

Best news all year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe we can convince Ruger to go back to forging 10/22 bolts since they're gonna be doing it in a big way for Marlin guns.??
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I want a 336 and 1895 with straight stocks and case hardened receivers and levers.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75583/686894F5-581F-438A-86FA-B1D14AEF1E03_jpe-1977277.JPG
Like this
View Quote

A 336 like that in .38/55 would probably lighten my wallet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I think a stainless 336 made under Ruger would be the bees knees
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#28]
sounds like I'm buying another "marlin"
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#29]
delete delete
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
sounds like I'm buying another "marlin"
View Quote

Might as well have 3 different kinds.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#31]

I predict that Ruger will transition to investment castings within five years. I don't think they have the capability to do in house forging to the extent needed for the Marlin guns and are probably going to buy forgings from outside contractors. It's good PR to say that they're staying with forgings, especially for the initial launch of a new product line but I just don't see them staying with it for the long haul. Ruger practically wrote the book about investment casting and I have a feeling that's where Marlins are heading down the road.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I predict that Ruger will transition to investment castings within five years. I don't think they have the capability to do in house forging to the extent needed for the Marlin guns and are probably going to buy forgings from outside contractors. It's good PR to say that they're staying with forgings, especially for the initial launch of a new product line but I just don't see them staying with it for the long haul. Ruger practically wrote the book about investment casting and I have a feeling that's where Marlins are heading down the road.
View Quote

Why wouldn't they have the capacity? They just bought all the stuff from Marlin to do it, a company that made a living off of forged receivers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Now let’s start shipping them.
Preferably to their neighbors in SC first
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why wouldn't they have the capacity? They just bought all the stuff from Marlin to do it, a company that made a living off of forged receivers.
View Quote

I agree, they bought it all ...

Ruger seems to go cheaper and cheaper every year, look at that Wrangler. I really hope that they product a quality lever gun, I'd pay up for it. I think my Remlin 94c (2018) was about $700.00 out the door, I wouldn't trade it for any JM gun.

Henry charges more for their guns.

LETS GO BRANDON..oops, I mean Marlin
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ruger seems to go cheaper and cheaper every year, look at that Wrangler. I really hope that they product a quality lever gun, I'd pay up for it. I think my Remlin 94c (2018) was about $700.00 out the door, I wouldn't trade it for any JM gun.

View Quote

The Wrangler was a whole new market for them so I don't see how it means they are going cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
My Wrangler has been great, and shoots every bit as well as the Single Six I used to have.  And my Remlin 1894 CSBL is fantastic, but Remington also had a tendency to go cheap (as evidenced by 870 ribs so sharp they would draw blood, and the R51 I had that was a heaping pile of shit).

If anything, I expect Ruger will innovate in ways that Marlin did not; their Scout rifle, 57 pistol, LCR, long range Hawkeye, Precision rifle, and others are proof of that.

I would be excited to see them use Marlin as a parts house to bring back the Ruger 96, especially as long as that one company is out there making 10 round extended mags.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm hoping for innovation and higher quality...fingers crossed.
It'll be a good pair for my Remlin, which is fine but the stock is not flush with the metal (slightly annoying)
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:49:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would love to see them bring back the 39A, but I don't see how feasible it would be for them, it would potentially take sales away from the 10/22. Same reason I see them maybe killing off the Marlin 60.
View Quote

That’s not how it works. Ruger is in the business of making and selling guns. When it was just Ruger they only had the10/22. Now that they are Marlin too, they have the potential to sell another two .22s. A sale is a sale.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that Ruger was going to get forgings from a contractor. Ruger doesn't even use forged10/22 bolts anymore, they are investment cast now.
They have been building incredibly strong guns from castings for a long time. Their castings are just as strong as forged parts and require less machining to make the finished part. Using forgings from an outside contractor may be better in the short term as far as getting the newly launched Marlin products to the market quicker but my gut feeling is that we'll see investment cast Marlins in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m not sure if would have a issue with them being investment cast if the price reflected some savings.   They really need to bring back a 1895 with 16.5 threaded barrel like the STP.  Those are the coolest model I don’t know why Trapper style rifles are so damn scarce in production.
  If I want a rifle for beyond a 150 yards it will not be a lever gun.   I love to hunt with a compact lightweight rifle but it will always be at a short distance.    A 24in barrels extra velocity means nothing to me in a straight wall caliber.  With the whole 350 legend deal I believe that the market is as large or larger for the 16in models.
I want a dozen and a half all like this but threaded preferably with a barrel extension so when I am not suppressed the barrel and mag tube look flush.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My Wrangler has been great, and shoots every bit as well as the Single Six I used to have.
View Quote

Yes sir, please don't think that I was craping on the Wrangler. Just pointing out how Ruger can make a less expensive gun shoot and function good. I grew up shooting a Bearcat made in the late 60s. I wish I could get my hands on it.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd have a couple in the safe. The local chain store always has them in stock for around $200.00. I think they came out with another color combo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I think a .475 Linebaugh, that could use .480 Ruger as a primary sub-load would be pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Submarine hulls are cast. Aerospace parts are MIM'd.

People need to learn crappy standards and QC have nothing to do with the manufacturing technique.

Link Posted: 11/10/2021 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’m not sure if would have a issue with them being investment cast if the price reflected some savings.   They really need to bring back a 1895 with 16.5 threaded barrel like the STP.  Those are the coolest model I don’t know why Trapper style rifles are so damn scarce in production.
  If I want a rifle for beyond a 150 yards it will not be a lever gun.   I love to hunt with a compact lightweight rifle but it will always be at a short distance.    A 24in barrels extra velocity means nothing to me in a straight wall caliber.  With the whole 350 legend deal I believe that the market is as large or larger for the 16in models.
I want a dozen and a half all like this but threaded preferably with a barrel extension so when I am not suppressed the barrel and mag tube look flush.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87899/9A82655B-AA2A-455F-8D79-28630BC9F69B_jpe-2144031.JPG
View Quote
Thats gorgeous.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thats gorgeous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87899/9A82655B-AA2A-455F-8D79-28630BC9F69B_jpe-2144031.JPG
Thats gorgeous.

It’s my favorite rifle
1979 JM that was cut down.   45-70 in a 16in barrel is just fine.
It’s not exactly a velocity depended round in the 405 grain ans above range
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my eyes, this is the zenith of lever gun configurations.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that Ruger was going to get forgings from a contractor. Ruger doesn't even use forged10/22 bolts anymore, they are investment cast now.
They have been building incredibly strong guns from castings for a long time. Their castings are just as strong as forged parts and require less machining to make the finished part. Using forgings from an outside contractor may be better in the short term as far as getting the newly launched Marlin products to the market quicker but my gut feeling is that we'll see investment cast Marlins in the near future.
View Quote

Yep.  I remember reading an article a long time ago where they did a strength test on some bolt action rifles.  A Rem 700, Ruger M77, and two other common brands.  The people doing the test thought the cast Ruger receiver/bolt would fail first.  The Ruger outlasted all of them.

Ruger also casts the frames for the Magnum Research BFR which is considered one of if not the strongest revolver available.

Lets also not forget the Ruger No. 1 which is considered to be one of, if not the strongest firearm actions ever made.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top