BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
This is a Marlin 357, factory threaded.

I really like the scout scope on it.  I like how it balances and I like the way it looks.

I need the scope pushed forward another 1-1.5 CM, but the rail won’t allow that.  Where I need the scope mount to go is where the rail has a screw point.

I need to change to a two piece mount and try to get it more forward.

So if you know of a quality two piece LOW cantilever 1 inch scope mount for a picatinny rail, let me know.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/376732/F0C030CE-3032-4147-A4B3-CE7E580990FF_jpe-1809155.JPG
View Quote

First one I thought of was the Larue Tactical SPR-S Mount (LT158). Shorter that their other scope mounts, the center line on this one sits 1.44" above the top of the rail. Don't let the price intimidate you. You can sometimes find them second hand for much less. These are bomb proof, so I have no issue picking them up used.

Larue Tactical SPR-S Mount (LT158)

Not sure if there are shorter options, but it might be worth putting the feelers out there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with these on my biathlon rifle

Millett 1" Angle-Loc Windage Adjustable Weaver-Style Rings 2 Extended Rings Gloss

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a Marlin 357, factory threaded.

I really like the scout scope on it.  I like how it balances and I like the way it looks.

I need the scope pushed forward another 1-1.5 CM, but the rail won't allow that.  Where I need the scope mount to go is where the rail has a screw point.

I need to change to a two piece mount and try to get it more forward.

So if you know of a quality two piece LOW cantilever 1 inch scope mount for a picatinny rail, let me know.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/376732/F0C030CE-3032-4147-A4B3-CE7E580990FF_jpe-1809155.JPG
View Quote
Surely LaRue makes something with a longer gooseneck that would work?  I've had great luck with their products, and enjoy the QD feature's return to zero immensely.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#4]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#5]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Surely LaRue makes something with a longer gooseneck that would work?  I've had great luck with their products, and enjoy the QD feature's return to zero immensely.
View Quote

They do... the SPR-E. This one extends the scope out further, but it will sit just a little higher above the rail than the SPR-S (short version). It depends what is more important to the man, height or distance. I think the "S" would work due to the limited rail footprint with the QD mount.

Larue Tactical SPR-E Mount (LT139)

I run the SPR-E (LT139) on my recce build. Might be too high for a lever gun, though.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:21:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#6]
@Steamedliver

A few options listed above, albeit they may be a little higher than you'd like: 1.44" center line over rail for the SPR-S and 1.5" center line over rail for the SPR-E.

This is what the base of the Larue mounts look like for reference. The only thing that could potentially interfere with the forward rail mounting screw are the two titties in the middle, but you could probably get them pretty far forward while still maximizing "rail estate."

Out of curiosity, I did some more digging and happened on the below offering from PRI, another quality manufacturer. Center line is much shorter at 1.22" over rail, which happens to be the same height as the red dot on my Delta Point Pro on my build. It also clamps on with two mounting screws, so you can probably straddle the rail screw with it. The price is right, too.

PRI 1" Cantileverd Low Rings

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Just passed the 5mo mark waiting on my hybrid.  I hope I get the call soon!  I can’t wait to suppress this thing!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:
Just passed the 5mo mark waiting on my hybrid.  I hope I get the call soon!  I can’t wait to suppress this thing!
https://i.imgur.com/3NTpdur.jpg
View Quote

Damn. Sorry to hear. Are you planning on running it strictly on the 1895, or will it be shared with other guns? Seems pretty versatile.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mhbaker81:

Damn. Sorry to hear. Are you planning on running it strictly on the 1895, or will it be shared with other guns? Seems pretty versatile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/3NTpdur.jpg

I’m not sure yet.  I have other cans so I got it specifically for 45-70, but I’m sure I’ll use it for other things as well.  I’ve already purchased a bunch of different sized end caps so I’m sure it will get some use with other rifles as well.  It seems like it will be a good choice for subgun too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I sold my 1895.  It was cool and all, just sort of a jack of all trades and master of none.  
The case volume makes it louder than 357/44/45, lower capacity, heavier, etc.  

I don't go elephant hunting so 44/45 is my favorite by far.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

I sold my 1895.  It was cool and all, just sort of a jack of all trades and master of none.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335009/IMG_4221_JPG-1811238.JPG
View Quote

Ehhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Your first pic here! Proud of you, my man!

Was it the Dark that you sold?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CaptShiess] [#12]

View All Quotes

I do worry I won’t shoot it much. I’ve only put a handful of rounds through it so far.  I do love my .357s most.  The 44 is awesome too!
Pic thread

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:44:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#13]
I do like nice gun parts.  I’ve spent more than I should have on accessories for this 357 lever.  

I do have a slight issue spending twice the amount on the optic mount than the optic itself.  

That means I get the mount and better optic or get a less expensive mount.  

Ya know?

I do have a feeling I’ll be getting that LaRue mount, I do hate getting such an expensive mount in 1 inch diameter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I do like nice gun parts.  I’ve spent more than I should have on accessories for this 357 lever.  

I do have a slight issue spending twice the amount on the optic mount than the optic itself.  

That means I get the mount and better optic or get a less expensive mount.  

Ya know?

I do have a feeling I’ll be getting that LaRue mount, I do hate getting such an expensive mount in 1 inch diameter.
View Quote

Like you said, it will just be a good excuse to upgrade your glass. These companies also make these in 30mm and 34mm, so you'll have more scope options to choose from, if that's the route you go. Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:15:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#15]
Then I’ll feel weird putting a nice optic on a gun that’s shooting 357 magnum.

Not a real precision gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

It's quite the quagmire...
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Do a 1-6 or similar.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/3CDBC924-C466-4D2B-A07D-E37C3AE3C9EA-1806411.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/356475DD-2DDA-4832-AAB9-3610B94DDE03-1806419.jpg

I finally feel like I can contribute again.

Same WML as before, but now it has a leather butt cuff, embossed leather sling, and a green PA ACSS prismatic optic in a LaRue LT661 mount.

The optic is so close to the rear sight that I can't turn the ocular to focus it, as the knurling hits the rear iron.  

Now I should probably get out and shoot it
View Quote

what caliber was the prism originally for and how does it compute?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By togadelic:

what caliber was the prism originally for and how does it compute?
View Quote
Here is the product page.  It was generally designed around ARs, so probably 5.56/.300/.308.  

If they made one that had just the horseshoe without ranging hashes, I would've bought that one instead; I'm more of a "set it and forget it" kinda guy for irons and optics, & prefer simpler, more intuitive reticles designs over the crazy hashes and marks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Picture Thread.

Post... More... Pics...

Need that sweet, sweet "Tactical Lever" fix!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:23:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#21]
Got my QD swivels in.
Attachment Attached File

Now I’m waiting on a handstop (went with Arisaka’s Indexer) and I’m trying to decide on a flashlight mount (leaning toward either a Reptilia direct mount or the cheapest inline mount I can find).
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
Got my QD swivels in.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71141/DAF33E1C-3A05-4A2B-AEAF-025943B1AE5A_jpe-1819073.JPG

Now I’m waiting on a handstop (went with Arisaka’s Indexer) and I’m trying to decide on a flashlight mount (leaning toward either a Reptilia direct mount or the cheapest inline mount I can find).
View Quote

Nice! Love to see the evolution in real time. Can't wait for the addition changes/updates.

Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Arisaka Indexer added

Attachment Attached File

Just waiting on the Reptilia/Malkoff light to add an illumination source. I have an IR Illum head and I’ll have a White Illum head. I’ll use the IR Illum head while hunting. White Illum will live on it the rest of the time. Eventually, I might add another light body for White Illum.

Oh, and I realized that I have to stake the tenon in place. I couldn’t figure out why the hand-guard was wiggling... well, duh. I neglected to ask the gunsmith to do it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Arisaka Indexer added

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71141/F1A1DB15-F173-43A4-ADF3-542E24040FEC_jpe-1823605.JPG

Just waiting on the Reptilia/Malkoff light to add an illumination source. I have an IR Illum head and I’ll have a White Illum head. I’ll use the IR Illum head while hunting. White Illum will live on it the rest of the time. Eventually, I might add another light body for White Illum.

Oh, and I realized that I have to stake the tenon in place. I couldn’t figure out why the hand-guard was wiggling... well, duh. I neglected to ask the gunsmith to do it.
View Quote

Yeah, better get that wiggle sorted. Will lead to inconsistent groups when using the TOR. Still looking good, though. Were you still going to pull the trigger on the lower RPP top rail and/or RMR?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#25]
I just picked up my Marlin Dark 336 yesterday. Going to leave the wood furniture on this one, but add a few bells and whistles, to include a low profile LPVO scout scope forward of the action. Pics to follow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Yeah, better get that wiggle sorted. Will lead to inconsistent groups when using the TOR. Still looking good, though. Were you still going to pull the trigger on the lower RPP top rail and/or RMR?
View All Quotes
Arisaka Indexer added

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71141/F1A1DB15-F173-43A4-ADF3-542E24040FEC_jpe-1823605.JPG

Not at this time. Maybe a bit down the road though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#27]
I just picked up my Marlin Dark 336 yesterday. Going to leave the wood furniture on this one, but add a few bells and whistles, to include a low profile LPVO scout scope forward of the action. Pics to follow.
View Quote

Here we go again... Marlin Dark 336 and Burris Scout 2-7x. Just started to mock a few things up today, but there's more in the mail from RPP, Hoptic USA, and elsewhere. Thinking about running the scope with a low Nightforce or Badger Unimount, or Larue ultra low qd rings.

It's going to be very hard to not shoot this, so I'm pretty much all in now.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:49:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#28]
No pictures, but I Shot my 1894CSBL today.  My 1894 can be a 3 or 4 MOA rifle with .357; with my .38 hand loads it's maybe 10+ MOA .

I also rediscovered that chasing a 100% zeroed load on a pistol cal lever action is stupid.  But that horseshoe on the prismatic is about perfect; donut of death, with a nice "right about here is the center-ish" aiming mechanism.

But 1894s/.357 lever actions are fun.  It's like a .22 on steroids.  Makes you slow down and enjoy each round more than an AR, but not quite to the "make every round count" shenanigans of a single shot.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#29]
No pictures, but I Shot my 1894CSBL today.  My 1894 can be a 3 or 4 MOA rifle with .357; with my .38 hand loads it's maybe 10+ MOA .

I also rediscovered that chasing a 100% zeroed load on a pistol cal lever action is stupid.  But that horseshoe on the prismatic is about perfect; donut of death, with a nice "right about here is the center-ish" aiming mechanism.

But 1894s/.357 lever actions are fun.  It's like a .22 on steroids.  Makes you slow down and enjoy each round more than an AR, but not quite to the "make every round count" shenanigans of a single shot.

View Quote

Pics, or it never happened!

Just kidding... Glad you were able to get out there. It's more than I can say for the past few weeks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll get pics up after it's outfitted with at least an RDS, but i walked into the LGS and they had one of the Citadel Levtac-92's in 357 for $750. A bit spendy I know, but I didn't care. Plus, the MI rail, threaded barrel and fancy peep sight have got to be worth something over a standard Rossi M92 that this is based off of. It's the first one I have personally seen in stock locally. Only thing I may do besides hang shit off of it is change over to a fancy Rossi M92 wood stock. Love the tactical and wood look. As of right now, it's a black plastic stock on it. 1 of many 357 lever guns I have. It joins a couple of Marlins, a Rossi Ranch hand and a Taylors 1873. It should feel right at home in the lever area of the safe.

Love all the pics in this thread. Been wanting to jump down this rabbit hole. It was only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By morning_would:
I'll get pics up after it's outfitted with at least an RDS, but i walked into the LGS and they had one of the Citadel Levtac-92's in 357 for $750. A bit spendy I know, but I didn't care. Plus, the MI rail, threaded barrel and fancy peep sight have got to be worth something over a standard Rossi M92 that this is based off of. It's the first one I have personally seen in stock locally. Only thing I may do besides hang shit off of it is change over to a fancy Rossi M92 wood stock. Love the tactical and wood look. As of right now, it's a black plastic stock on it. 1 of many 357 lever guns I have. It joins a couple of Marlins, a Rossi Ranch hand and a Taylors 1873. It should feel right at home in the lever area of the safe.

Love all the pics in this thread. Been wanting to jump down this rabbit hole. It was only a matter of time.
View Quote
Didn't know about that one until this post.  Looks like a fun setup!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Didn't know about that one until this post.  Looks like a fun setup!
View Quote

Yes sir. If this one proves to be reliable, I am going to get one of the 454 Casull models for a thumper.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Does a silencer make you tactical enough?

I must've gotten lucky when I stumbled on a 357 dark, only one I've ever seen.  
I wanted a cst but have never seen one of those in person either.  
The action is slick, trigger is fine, and it cycles all ammo I've tried with no issue.  

Only thing I would change is real wood vs. the composite wood and 5/8 threads instead of 1/2.  

Attachment Attached File

My 44 Rossi is my all time favorite because it's so small/light.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:23:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Does a silencer make you tactical enough?
View Quote

Only if you refer to it by it's given tactical nomenclature of "sound suppressor." (Ain't no such thing as a "silencer.")

Nice find on the Dark 1894. Not many of those around.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow!! I am glad I found this thread.  Here is my Marlin 336 I tore apart and rebuilt.   I finished this about 8 months before the Dark’s were scheduled to be released.   Kind of frustrating , but it was fun to do.   Took an awful lot of crap for it , but haters can hate.   It is very nice suppressed.   Seeing all these pictures makes me want to finish hanging stuff on it.  Time to spend some money on new widgets and gidgets.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By schleutj:
Wow!! I am glad I found this thread.  Here is my Marlin 336 I tore apart and rebuilt.   I finished this about 8 months before the Dark’s were scheduled to be released.   Kind of frustrating , but it was fun to do.   Took an awful lot of crap for it , but haters can hate.   It is very nice suppressed.   Seeing all these pictures makes me want to finish hanging stuff on it.  Time to spend some money on new widgets and gidgets.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271085/6698CD9D-F0D2-492D-BBB4-F91AD59BA203_jpe-1839347.JPG
View Quote

Your brain housing group was ahead of the times. Welcome to the party!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#37]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271085/6698CD9D-F0D2-492D-BBB4-F91AD59BA203_jpe-1839347.JPG
View Quote

@schleutj

How do you like the saddle ring safety delete?

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: schleutj] [#38]
@KR20

It is an easy install.   I like the looks of it better too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#39]
@KR20

It is an easy install.   I like the looks of it better too.
View Quote

How loose is the ring?  Is it noise at all?  Can it support a sling?

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#40]
It is loose, but does not rattle excessively.  It is heavy enough that a sling can attach, but it does not balance well.   At least the little I tried with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Very nice! Welcome to The Arena

More pics
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Found time this evening to add a couple items to the Levtac-92

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#43]
Originally Posted By morning_would:
Found time this evening to add a couple items to the Levtac-92

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/zp6v6o.jpg
View Quote

I like it... If required, the cut VFG looks like it could double as a melee / impalement device!

Tactical, to the T!

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#44]

Here we go again... Marlin Dark 336 and Burris Scout 2-7x. Just started to mock a few things up today, but there's more in the mail from RPP, Hoptic USA, and elsewhere. Thinking about running the scope with a low Nightforce or Badger Unimount, or Larue ultra low qd rings.

It's going to be very hard to not shoot this, so I'm pretty much all in now.

View Quote

Some of my RPP goodies started to arrive for my 336 Scout project. Still waiting on my RPP Quick Takedown Screw and Safety Delete, as well as another Versacarry Ammo Caddy and Hoptic USA Quiver.

For the Burris Scout, I've decided to go with the Larue Ultra-Low Rings (LT-719). These rings will allow me to maintain a quick release capability and can't really be beat when it comes to clearance with this rail/scope combo. There should only be 0.125" of clearance between the lowest point of the ocular end and the rail when mounted.

LaRue Tactical Ultra-Low Mount Rings QD, LT719

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#45]
This is as tactical as my lever gun gets... R92 in 44 mag.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:
This is as tactical as my lever gun gets... R92 in 44 mag.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26706/r92_rds_cuff-1858817.jpg
View Quote

I like that. Is that a Dr. Pearson rail mount? If so how do you like it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Polarbear31:

I like that. Is that a Dr. Pearson rail mount? If so how do you like it?
View Quote

It's actually a Skinner Sights R92 rail. It uses the drilled and tapped holes on more recent R92 barrels. I like it fine, but the factory supplies screws were too short (they sent me longer ones for free) and the rail itself is Weaver spec, not Picatinney spec, so you need to be careful how you mount stuff.

I had a Pearson mount but returned it -- too much hardware and bulk for what I had in mind (red dot).
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Some of my RPP goodies started to arrive for my 336 Scout project. Still waiting on my RPP Quick Takedown Screw and Safety Delete, as well as another Versacarry Ammo Caddy and Hoptic USA Quiver.

https://i.imgur.com/KOcRaY0.jpg

For the Burris Scout, I've decided to go with the Larue Ultra-Low Rings (LT-719). These rings will allow me to maintain a quick release capability and can't really be beat when it comes to clearance with this rail/scope combo. There should only be 0.125" of clearance between the lowest point of the ocular end and the rail when mounted.

https://i.imgur.com/QU1r4Yf.jpg
View Quote

Any additional pics of Tactical Leverguns out there? I'm in an 8 week waiting period for Mark to fabricate my ultra-low rings and could use a pick-me-up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Any additional pics of Tactical Leverguns out there? I'm in an 8 week waiting period for Mark to fabricate my ultra-low rings and could use a pick-me-up.
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/KOcRaY0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QU1r4Yf.jpg

Nothing until my hybrid comes in.  I’ve been waiting since July with no end in sight.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
I'm still waiting for my 336 to come back from the smith, should be this week or next. As soon as it's back I'll post some pics
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top