BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By psegnatelli:
 have you noticed any negatives to a lighter ejector spring?  
The only spring I've messed with is my mag spring. Cut a few inches off. 

That looks like a great compromise bullet!  What speeds are u getting?

I'm on the hunt for the Goldie Locks round.  One that will do Ok in my 640 & not blow up when used in my carbine. 
Right now I'm using 158gr XTP FP.
View Quote

How are the 158 XTP's out of a carbine?
I know XTP's work well out of short/long in .44 mag and have shot a metric ton of them in .357 but only from 2 1/2"-6 1/2" barrels.
.44 RM XTP's cross the 4" to 18" line really well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:  How are the 158 XTP's out of a carbine?
View Quote

This really is the question, isn't it?  

If the bullet is designed for penetration and expansion at handgun velocities, how do they do when fired from a rifle at the much higher velocity?

What I really liked about the Lucky Gunner test results is how thoroughly they covered the terminal ballistics.  A similar test of for rifles is missing.  Would the good performers (high expansion, low penetration) bullets just fragment at rifle velocities?  Would the poor performers (poorly expanding, deeply penetrating bullets) begin to show merit at higher velocities?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Xtp fp is designed for 357 carbine and rifle speeds
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By psegnatelli:
Xtp fp is designed for 357 carbine and rifle speeds
View Quote

Good to know, thanks.  I have some in storage.  

ETA - I found this on Hornady's web page for the 38 caliber, 158 gr FP XTP:

"From the onset, XTP® bullets were specifically designed to expand reliably at a wide range of handgun velocities to deliver deep penetration with every shot."
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I voted .44 Mag because I already own a Marlin. I'm going to put a 2-7 scope on it.

I'd rather use an AR for HD/SD, but if all semi-autos were suddenly illegal I'd make do with the Marlin and my DW 44VH.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a 44-40 that I use for HD.  I can't get the wife trained to the point where she'd reliably be able to operate anything else.  A Winchester 1892 is stupid easy.  
View Quote

My wife has a CHL and several handguns, and has recently shown an interest in a rifle.  My first thought was an AR, but I’m afraid she’s not going to like shooting one.  A levergun might be a better choice, she MUCH prefers her two 38 revolvers over any semi-auto.  I’d really hate to give up my Browning 92 in 357, but if it will reliably feed 38s (I’ve never tried) it might be just the ticket.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top