BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is how I set up one of my truck guns. I'm still deciding if I want to put a tang sight on it or jump to a red dot. I may go with the red dot just because I already screwed up its lines with the light.

As a .30-30 trapper the capacity is only 5 rounds but it beats a pointy stick.

https://i.imgur.com/SnIkCKM.jpg
View Quote
What bullet loop sleeve is on the stock?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 5:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is how I set up one of my truck guns. I'm still deciding if I want to put a tang sight on it or jump to a red dot. I may go with the red dot just because I already screwed up its lines with the light.

As a .30-30 trapper the capacity is only 5 rounds but it beats a pointy stick.

https://i.imgur.com/SnIkCKM.jpg
I think that is from Hill People Gear.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If I needed a lever gun for defensive use I'd take a Browning BLR in .308 or a 1886 in 45-70.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer pump shotguns and lever action rifles for pretty much everything if I have my choice. I have no trouble running them or topping them off on the move. It's just second nature to me.

I wish I had bought a bunch of the police trade in 870s back when all the local agencies went to ARs because now they are going for double what I could have paid. Or the Winchester 94s back when they were saturating the market and super cheap. Now it seems like prices have gone way up on even used stuff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#5]
A short history of the US Military's use of carbines in the last 125 years:

Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Any rifle beats the hell out of a sharp stick or rock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't (former member) Brazzers develop a lever action AR for the UK?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/UK-maker-unveils-new-lever-action-AR-NY-and-CA-compliant-/5-2223344/
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/UK-maker-unveils-new-lever-action-AR-NY-and-CA-compliant-/5-2223344/
View Quote
Didn't Bradders make an AR that used the whole pistol grip as the lever to work the action?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't Bradders make an AR that used the whole pistol grip as the lever to work the action?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We made one as a theme build for the "PSA has lost a customer" thread.

BrickWurX Mfg. Lever Action AR-15, Initial Cycle Test (Red Ryd-AR / Christmas-15)
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We made one as a theme build for the "PSA has lost a customer" thread.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48451439052_9a6dc1f75b_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48451283261_41e98dae41_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48451438457_255de5fd7d_c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbXWqatpito
That's pretty cool, definitely creative.  I'd like to have one just because it's funky.

The one I'm thinking about the grip was hinged at the top and arced forward to cycle the action, the grip itself was the lever, not an external lever.  It was one of those European or Aussie work arounds IIRC; it may not have been Bradders.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Lets not forget the old Savage 99.  I have one in .308 and it shoots like a bolt gun.  Mine has the rotary magazine, but I have observed detachable magazine versions.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anybody ever tried reloading a loading-gate levergun using a technique similar to double/quad loading a shotgun in competition? I don't have a levergun to try it with right now, but it seems like it might go a long way to making it more viable as a fighting option IF it works mechanically…
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an old 336 in .35. It’s a thumper. Check out the Skinner irons. You could do worse.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has anybody ever tried reloading a loading-gate levergun using a technique similar to double/quad loading a shotgun in competition? I don't have a levergun to try it with right now, but it seems like it might go a long way to making it more viable as a fighting option IF it works mechanically…
View Quote
With a light enough loading gate (ranger point or home lightened) i could see it being possible to load two, but not as reliable due to how small a diameter .30-30 ammo is.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I sent a Marlin 1894 in 44mag to Mr. Brockman for his Master Guide conversion.
I had them add a set of sling swivels.
Paired with either a 4" Md.629 or 6" Md.24, I feel pretty safe.
I am always looking for a fair priced Browning BLR in 308, I have a Leupold 1.75-6 waiting for it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I would probably start with a 357 with a short bbl that could also shoot 38.  Cause I'm gonna spend a lot of ammo ingraining the manual of arms.  I would want a decent steel, parked or stainless and synthetic overmolded (houge-ish) furniture, ghost ring and picatinny for a micro dot and a flashlight.  NOT that goofy ass AR stocked one.

I have very little knowledge of lever guns.  I  would appreciate someone telling me what model fits that bill (not that I'm going to purchase I'd just like to see it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would probably start with a 357 with a short bbl that could also shoot 38.  Cause I'm gonna spend a lot of ammo ingraining the manual of arms.  I would want a decent steel, parked or stainless and synthetic overmolded (houge-ish) furniture, ghost ring and picatinny for a micro dot and a flashlight.  NOT that goofy ass AR stocked one.

I have very little knowledge of lever guns.  I  would appreciate someone telling me what model fits that bill (not that I'm going to purchase I'd just like to see it.
View Quote
Marlin 1894cst
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894-cst

Ranger point precision even more goofy ass MLOK forearm than the Midwest industries' one and polymer buttstock.
https://www.rangerpointstore.com/marlin-polymer-nylon-stock-set/
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#19]
In the vain of the thread topic, would a lever action in .45 long be acceptable?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#20]
You’ve not tried a sabot slug have you? Easy a 200 yard capable projectile. But it you think 200 yards is defensive, you’re doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the vain of the thread topic, would a lever action in .45 long be acceptable?
View Quote
Certainly. Performance will be similar to that of the .44-40.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Using heavy loads you'd easily be on par with .44mag, slightly better if you handload.  Rossi chambers their Model 92 in .454 if you need even more thump.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Years ago I personally saw the results of a Marlin 30-30 levergun vs 4 bar patrons armed with pool cues or their fists and feet.
I was impressed with the levergun and it's owners shooting.   He went to prison, but that little Marlin was most effective at solving the problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#24]
This might belong in its own separate thread, but how about ammo carriers for leverguns? I know there are loads of elastic or leather deals that carry a bunch of rounds in a row all oriented vertically; is there anything else that might be quicker? Revolvers have speedloaders, shotguns have speed tubes and those double/quad belt caddies that let you pull them out in twos straight out instead of sliding them up out of a sleeve. Anything more efficient for lever-action?
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This might belong in its own separate thread, but how about ammo carriers for leverguns? I know there are loads of elastic or leather deals that carry a bunch of rounds in a row all oriented vertically; is there anything else that might be quicker? Revolvers have speedloaders, shotguns have speed tubes and those double/quad belt caddies that let you pull them out in twos straight out instead of sliding them up out of a sleeve. Anything more efficient for lever-action?
View Quote
Use a 44/.410 speed strip for 30-30 shells, If I remember right that is the right diameter
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

The 16in .44 mag trapper 4th from left would be my go to for self defense.
None are a AR15 but they would get the job done
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
You could build one of these for yourself. Though nylon and elastic might make more sense. You can keep the gun up and continue to top off through the loading gate. Doesn't interest with sights in any way.

Also, the cowboy action guys have a plastic tube with a pusher rod for speed loading the pistol caliber levers but I dont think that would work as well for rifle calibers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A short history of the US Military's use of carbines in the last 125 years:

https://i.imgur.com/kJfLfEZ.jpg?1
View Quote
When did the US military use a Winchester 1892?
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Is there a model that has a noticeably smoother and/or shorter throw action than others?
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is there a model that has a noticeably smoother and/or shorter throw action than others?
View Quote
Depends on caliber. Pistol calibers the 1873 Winchester is fastest with the Winchester 92 being the strongest and the Marlin in the middle of either category.
Rifle calibers I prefer the 1895 Winchester then the 1894 Winchester over the Marlins but others prefer the Marlins.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Mounting and Levering Your Rifle - Cowboy Action Shooting
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Some of those SASS people are really fast but I wonder how many of them could actually shoot real loads.  Some of the guns I've seen them use are so tuned for those mouse fart loads that I wonder how long they'd hold up to real rounds.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Some of those SASS people are really fast but I wonder how many of them could actually shoot real loads.  Some of the guns I've seen them use are so tuned for those mouse fart loads that I wonder how long they'd hold up to real rounds.  
View Quote
Yep, try those speed shooting tricks with heavy 400 grain hard cast 45-70 loads. Their advice has almost zero real world applications.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#34]
A friend of mine’s wife has a marlin in .357 magnum. Under 100 yards I’d hate to go up against her armed with it.

She shoots it a lot.  She is quite accurate with it as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Does it matter at defensive ranges? We're not talking hunting here. I mean,  at rangers of 50 yards and in, would it really matter that those werent full loads?
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does it matter at defensive ranges? We're not talking hunting here. I mean,  at rangers of 50 yards and in, would it really matter that those werent full loads?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly?  Possibly.  I'm not really familiar with SASS loads but from what I've read some of them are loaded with just enough powder to hit their targets- they seem to have some sort of prohibition on posting loading data on their websites so other than shooting 90gr .38s I'm having a hard time finding powder charges and velocities.  Watching them shoot and even the kids and small women aren't exhibiting recoil so I'm betting their loads are down in the .32 S&W short- maybe .32 S&W long velocities?  Anemic by any modern standard but certainly deadly or enough of a psychological threat when folks routinely died of sepsis far more often than the actual trauma of being shot.

So sure, they might work, especially if you emptied the gun into someone like they do and you can't neglect the psychological effect- stopping the threat is, after all, the primary goal.  No, I'm not going to volunteer to face of with one of them either, and I used to be pretty fast.  I Look at my LCP the same way though, I don't expect it to perform great and I practice putting multiple rounds in the target.  I've also shot IDPA with full power.357 before and know that I'm far slower than I am with say a 9mm or 1911.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Sure it would work as would any firearm, but as to if it's the best weapon choice, nope not even close, get a modern semi-auto weapon. I don't care if it's a rifle or shotgun or handgun, automatics all the way these days in this modern era. Why handicap yourself? haha. Of course I have a Winchester 94 in 44 mag with a 16" barrel that would serve well for hunting or home defense if need be. But I'd rather grab an AR15 instead....
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#38]
The late, great, Jeff Cooper used to recommend what he called a "Brooklyn Special" for those who couldn't own a pistol and wanted something for close range self-defense. It was a short, pistol caliber lever action just like what has been discussed here.

When it comes to the effectiveness of such carbines, someone once quipped that, "the .44-40 cartridge had killed more game - large and small, and more men - good and bad, than any other." Doubtless true at the time, and possibly true today.

But while the "mental pushups" of debates like these are fun, we tend to lose sight of the facts. The old "me and my (fill in the blank) against the huns" is really pretty silly. You aren't likely to need some sort of speed loading contraption. If you are skillful, you against two is probably pretty likely to go in your favor. If you are VERY skillful, you against three is a fair bet, but more than that and your story is probably written. What is also lost sight of is that to use this kind of rifle effectively, you better be hitting what you're looking at with every shot, and that one shot had better settle the matter.

But all of that is just my opinion, and what do I know, I'm just a boomer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unless they are wearing body armor, even soft armor, I'd say it won't matter.

Also, a "mouse fart" is a pretty ill-defined, ambiguous, disparaging term for any light load.

I'd rather have a light load than no load.  Who's to say what the rifle is loaded with when it is home, off the range?

I'd rather have a load I can handle than one I cannot.

I'd rather have a rifle I know how to use than one I do not.

I'd rather get the first hit than the first miss.

Tactics are almost certainly more important than muzzle velocity.

If your life is in danger, shoot first with what you have.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
I think I threw up a little
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The 5.56 AR platform isn't ideal for a HD weapon in my view even though I have both an AR carbine and rifle. It's big, bulky receiver and large blast and flash don't recommend it to many who've actually shot it indoors at night without hearing protection. With defensive ranges in the 25 to 30 feet range at most, the .223/5.56 comes in a distant 3rd in my high velocity carbine performance in addition to being much larger and less user friendly to employ.
  • AR:  At 3,106fps, a 55grn Spire point, .22 cal bullet produces 1,178ft/lbs of ME at that range.
  • .357mag:  At 1,952fps, 158grn hollow point, .35 cal bullet produces 1,331ft/lbs of ME at that range with a significantly larger wound channel with less blast and flash.
  • .30 Carbine: At 2,101fps, a 110grn JSP, .30 cal bullet produces 1,432ft/lbs of ME at that range with a significantly larger wound channel with less blast and flash.
That's why the M1 Carbine is my 1st choice currently for HD over my ARs and if there were no semi-autos, my Rossi .357mag carbine would fill the bill just fine.
View Quote
.357 and .30 carbine are poor choices compared to 77TMK, 77SMK, 75gr T2, 62gr Fusion, 55/64/75gr Gold Dot, TSX or M855A1.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Smooth is fast ...

When Beto & Company take away your ARs, you'll need to get up to speed on one of these, like so:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IX2oZ6Kv_qo
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I live in CT. And for my situations, which are unique, I choose to use a Rossi 16in 92 in 357mag.

I use a streamlight protac 1L that I attach with inner tube bands. A SOB sling and a buttcuff for xtra ammo.

Any 158gr JSP works for me.  Fed AE shoots good. So thats what I use.  
https://i.imgur.com/c6B2ZfD.jpg

Eta.  I havent done much to the rifle.  Different irons.  Brake cleaner flush & oil. Clipped a few inches off the mag spring and smoothed a burr in the loading gate.

Very reliable. Feeds wadcutter 38s only boggles up on 357s that are too long OAL

And. Its slightly bigger than a 10/22 carbine
View Quote
How are you attaching that sling to the stock? It looks like a hook to Type III nylon in the front, but I can’t make out the rear.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I've taken to keeping my .30-30 with a scout scope in my trunk for a "get home gun"; it has more range and punch than the .300 BLK I leave at home, so if some asshole breaks in and tries to use my own rifle against me I have an advantage. It's also accurate enough for any hypothetical active shooter scenario, far-fetched though it may be.

Now I'm wondering about something like a .45LC mare's leg as a less-scary alternative to an AR pistol for stuffing into a backpack or something…the PDW of the old west

I've found those 3gun shotgun loading moves DO work, but it's a lot harder with how much smaller the point of a .30-30 is than the blunt front of a 12-gauge shell. LOTS of practice ahead before I could consider it to be practical.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#45]
If the need arises, I would have no issue with using a good lever gun to defend myself and family with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Use a 44/.410 speed strip for 30-30 shells, If I remember right that is the right diameter
View Quote
The .44-45 caliber QuickStrips hold 5 rounds of 30-30.  They look just like the old Bianchi Speedstrips for revolvers.
I think Tuff Products puts out the QuickStrips.

I just checked their website and they make the QuickStrips for rimfire rounds up to 40mm grenades - good to know?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Imagine several million gun owners needing replacements for their chosen home defense rifles, overnight, with the stroke of a pen.  I wonder how long it would take to satisfy that much demand; to build that many rifles?
View Quote
Like in VA?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think you have that backwards.  In an urban environment, you do not want a lot of penetration, as your family and neighbors are close by.

Am I mistaken?
View Quote
Well if the bad guys are shooting from behind something it helps....

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they started going after levers and pumps after they "get rid of semi autos".

Their time table probably is
Ban semi-autos, then any other rapid firing gun, then bolt actions, then break actions and finally ban muzzle loaders.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The 5.56 AR platform isn't ideal for a HD weapon in my view even though I have both an AR carbine and rifle. It's big, bulky receiver and large blast and flash don't recommend it to many who've actually shot it indoors at night without hearing protection. With defensive ranges in the 25 to 30 feet range at most, the .223/5.56 comes in a distant 3rd in my high velocity carbine performance in addition to being much larger and less user friendly to employ.
  • AR:  At 3,106fps, a 55grn Spire point, .22 cal bullet produces 1,178ft/lbs of ME at that range.
  • .357mag:  At 1,952fps, 158grn hollow point, .35 cal bullet produces 1,331ft/lbs of ME at that range with a significantly larger wound channel with less blast and flash.
  • .30 Carbine: At 2,101fps, a 110grn JSP, .30 cal bullet produces 1,432ft/lbs of ME at that range with a significantly larger wound channel with less blast and flash.
That's why the M1 Carbine is my 1st choice currently for HD over my ARs and if there were no semi-autos, my Rossi .357mag carbine would fill the bill just fine.
View Quote
Why would you limit yourself to 55 gr bullets for the AR and home defense?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
.357 and .30 carbine are poor choices compared to 77TMK, 77SMK, 75gr T2, 62gr Fusion, 55/64/75gr Gold Dot, TSX or M855A1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly. Throw in Barnes TACTX offerings as well.

I can throw any of those out of a 10.5” AR “pistol” (26” OAL) with 30 rounds on tap.

Hell, my 9” 300 AAC with 110 gr TACTX is even smaller and yet more devastating at close range.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top